M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help bike not charging put in fully new charged battery and it keeps going dead after riding for a few hour . when i shut it off.... it wont start up,,,,, help:':)':)':)'(

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,765 Posts
Did YOU fully charge the new battery, or are you taking someone else's word for it? I would start by charging it overnight at a low amperage (2A for example...)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes

yes i got the new batt right out the box and slow charged it over night my self buying a volt meter now

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
battery

TopDog, We need some more info in order to help you. I'm assuming that since you have 11 posts, you are new to this site. Also, since you went out and bought a battery, it must not be a NEW bike or you would be letting the stealer find out what's wrong. Did you buy a gel battery or lead acid? If lead acid, did you put the electrolyte in the battery? Do you have a trickle charger or were you using a car charger(6 or 12 amp)? I know these questions might seem elementary, but need to know just what we're dealing with. A fully charged 12 volt battery should read about 13.2 volts on a good VOM. With the bike running, you should read around 14 volts or more. This would tell you the altenator and regulator are working. Give some more particulars and I'm sure we can give you good feedback. I have a good working knowledge of bike charging systems and if you would like to talk about it, pm me your ph # and I'll call you. If it's an older bike, you could have a bad stator or R/R. John

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
TopDog, We need some more info in order to help you. I'm assuming that since you have 11 posts, you are new to this site. Also, since you went out and bought a battery, it must not be a NEW bike or you would be letting the stealer find out what's wrong. Did you buy a gel battery or lead acid? If lead acid, did you put the electrolyte in the battery? Do you have a trickle charger or were you using a car charger(6 or 12 amp)? I know these questions might seem elementary, but need to know just what we're dealing with. A fully charged 12 volt battery should read about 13.2 volts on a good VOM. With the bike running, you should read around 14 volts or more. This would tell you the altenator and regulator are working. Give some more particulars and I'm sure we can give you good feedback. I have a good working knowledge of bike charging systems and if you would like to talk about it, pm me your ph # and I'll call you. If it's an older bike, you could have a bad stator or R/R. John
Between The Wolf and Robert you cant go wrong ,TopDog :bow:
only thing i would add is after you get your Meter , double check the Ground Strap to the Frame , sometimes this Connection has paint that compromises the connection

·
Registered
115 Posts
not charging

I had the same problem, the day after I bought my bike, I had ridden for few miles got off of the bike, when I went to start it it would not start. jumped it off and before I got home it died again, I had the dealer come and pick up he bike, I found out the regulator/rectifier had gone bad. the dealer replaced itand the battery.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

thanks everyone will try all the suggestion in the a.m. will let you know .... it a 07 bike m109r lead batt put in acid my self trickle charger..............thanks again all be back tomorrow

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a

it ok now thanks all plug loose ao the ritifier(dont mind my spelling) thank god for zip ties the little clip was broke push the two ends together and the volt meter jump from 12 to 14 . this site is the best ,,,,,, seee you all on the next problem:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::2excited::2excited::2excited:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts