M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have some time still but I want to plan ahead. I am looking for a bike stand that can jack the bike up and hold it up all winter. I want to store it off the ground like my crotch rocket used to be. Any help or links to good ones are appreciated.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did a Google search.and there is one.by craftsman at Sears. It's yellow and goes for about 170 seems like it has a lot of good reviews.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Almost every motorcycle jack I have ever seen or used can store a bike all winter. Where things go wrong is when some dufus leaves the bike up only supported by the hydraulic cylinder. This will blow out the seals eventualy. All these jacks have a hard safety stop that you engage THEN release the hydraulic pressure by lowering the bike onto the hard stop. This takes pressure from the cylinder. I have stored my bike two years like this and it works great.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good deal. That's basically what i wanted to hear to make sure i
Code:
t is
HTML:
ok for long storage. I will prob pick one up soon.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have the yellow one from sears, nice& light weight and strong.

they do list for 170, but if you get on sears mailing list that sends out notices of friends and family sale nights and stuff like that and manage to know about a friends and family night and find a coupon/ discount for ordering online you can cut that by about a third i think i paid 125-130 for mine , ordered online and picked up at the store

haven't had my C up on it yet,but i left my Vstar 1100 up in the air for months while it was under repair and during the winter season with no issues. as mentioned earlier go past the hard stop at the height ya want and release teh pressure til it sits back down on teh stop.

& if your not used to using hydraulic bottle jacks might wanna figure a way to practice with some weight on it before getting your M in the air, cause when it says to turn the knob just a lit bit to bleed cylinder and lower bike it means it . I mean like a RLCH lil bit

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got the J&S Jack and boy do I love it. Just slide that sucker anywhere under the frame and pump. It is super stable and will not rock back and forth like the craftsman. I also use it as a dolly. I can rotate the bike on that bad boy and move the bike very close to the wall in the garage when I need the space to park my vehicle. I'm very happy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts