M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i bought my bike two weeks ago and it has been taking about 2 or 3 pushes of the button to start every time. Didn't think much about it b/c i have seen folks complain about that on this board. Well this morning i came out and all hell broke loose. When i went to start it, the bike would "die" every time i hit the start button. All electrical would go out and the clock would reset every time i pushed and released the button. the battery light never came on. All the indicators across the TACH would come on and stay on for a few seconds and then go off. I plan on calling the dealership today. But does anyone have a clue? i am thinking a short somewhere but i am afraid that when i take it in (have them pick it up) that it will not happen again.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sounds like the battery has died ! do a battery search most like the gman battery . I just got a gel type from my dealer as a demo to tell all the guys about ! Great so far . Mine is a 07 pearl . 3 yrs on the stocker

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
ok so i bought my bike two weeks ago and it has been taking about 2 or 3 pushes of the button to start every time. Didn't think much about it b/c i have seen folks complain about that on this board. Well this morning i came out and all hell broke loose. When i went to start it, the bike would "die" every time i hit the start button. All electrical would go out and the clock would reset every time i pushed and released the button. the battery light never came on. All the indicators across the TACH would come on and stay on for a few seconds and then go off. I plan on calling the dealership today. But does anyone have a clue? i am thinking a short somewhere but i am afraid that when i take it in (have them pick it up) that it will not happen again.
Definitely sounds like your batery is shot. This bike should start on the first push of the starter button. If it takes more than that, something is wrong.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have to agree with the others. I had been riding the bike all day. Turning on and off. Then at one stop, I would just get a click or two. Towed to the dealer, found out it was the battery.
Go for the battery

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with all!
I would go buy a battery and put it in there befor taking it to a dealer for sure! May be a quick and pretty cheap fix. Most dealers service departments are pretty busy this time of year too, so they may have your bike for a week or so befor they look at it, just to let you know it was a dead battery. More than likely, they will also start with the battery and go from there, so your looking at paying for a battery anyway...
These bikes do take a lot of juice to start, because of the BIG JUGS, lol, but with a good battery should turn over pretty quickly.
GOOD LUCK
&
Keep us posted please!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. i will pick one up on the way home today. i will see if i can get them to give me a free one since i just bought the bike. i shouldn't have a shot battery already. Also if the battery is "dead" or an issue, wouldn't there be a light that came on telling me there is an issue?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
thanks. i will pick one up on the way home today. i will see if i can get them to give me a free one since i just bought the bike. i shouldn't have a shot battery already. Also if the battery is "dead" or an issue, wouldn't there be a light that came on telling me there is an issue?
There are no lights to indicate a dead battery(no lights is your indicator,lol!). Sounds like the right diagnoses though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Take it out and have a local auto parts store or your dealer load test it.
If it is 2 years old the dealer tester will always show you need a new one.:joke: They are in business to sell parts. (Just seems that way)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks CanadianM109...but all my lights were on. just guess there is not enough juice to start it.

NO Mas i only had the bike two weeks. So the battery shouldn't be dead at this point.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm going to disagree with every and say it's NOT your battery.

Let's start from the beginning... What color is your bike???

I don't know why others haven't thought of this but if you bought the wrong color... THAT could be your gremlin there!!! ;) :joke:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I had similar problems and it was the battery. I took the battery to the auto parts for a load test and it showed the battery was good but it was low on charge. After I got it fully charged, have not had any more problems and it starts on the first try.

I still plan to buy a gmat battery since my factory battery is three years old now.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'm going to disagree with every and say it's NOT your battery.

Let's start from the beginning... What color is your bike???

I don't know why others haven't thought of this but if you bought the wrong color... THAT could be your gremlin there!!! ;) :joke:
Nice!

:agree::joke:

G

·
Batteries can go dead for no reason. Plates can short, connections inside can break. It only takes a few volts and very little amps to get the instuments to light up. Check the headlight if it's not bright, it's the battery. There is a common problem with the main ground strap on these bikes not making good contact at the frame. That can cause the battery to go weak. With a bad ground the battery won't charge properly and you won't get full power from it when starting. Check the ground at the frame, charge the battery, and try again. You should have it fully charged to do a load test on it anyway.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sounds like a battery to me. The bike can even start with a bad battery and then stall. Why? The alternator/generator needs 12 volts to generate electricity and the battery may have enough to start but not enough afterward to energize the alternator let alone the electronics necessary to keep it running.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Our family business used to sell batteries--even motorcycle batteries--I cannot tell you how many came back within a week or two due to some kind of malfunction. This is not uncommon at all with "new" batteries.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the bike is black and i am sure that is not the issue....:joke:

Also the bike was built for me. They only had that color in a crate in the warehouse. So it was not sitting on the show room floor.

I called the shop and they think it may be something wrong with the bike itself after i described everything that happened. But as someone mentioned above they are 2 days back logged on work. I asked if they thought it could be the battery and they said yes. So I worked out with them to swap batteries and see if the bike dies in another two weeks. If it does, then we know it isn't the battery and I will take it in then.

Thanks again. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Is it charging?

You could do a very simple test to see if your battery is being charged, once you get the new battery installed. I would, rather than just ride it and hope I don't get stuck someplace.
Buy a digital multi tester. There're only about $20 now, and very handy to have. Set the dial to "V" or volts. Put the leads on the battery (red to red, black to black, and look at the read out. It should be about 12.5 volts. Now start the bike and take another reading. It should be about 13.5-14. If it is, your bike is charging, and you had a bad battery. If it stays at 12.5 with it running, the charging system is at fault, and you'll have to take it to the dealer before it goes dead and you get stuck.
Let us know!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts