M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im here in the midwest and its getting cold. What are some you guys going to do
with the 109 in preparation for the winter.
Are you doing an oil change before you put it away and then after the thaw?
Are you putting some stablize in the tank?
Are you putting the battery on a tickler or will you start it up every week or so?

I could ask the dealer, but I thought I would give it to the experts first.

What say you all?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Prolly ride at least on weekends...like I do now :bigthumbsup: I may have to come up with something for my poor neglected 800 Intruder though ;)

Devilish

·
Registered
849 Posts
I try to ride the last day, and the first day, of the year.
I normally put mine up when I go to Florida in January with the wife as she is afraid I'll kill myself so those 2 months are hers.

Put it up on your floor jack if you have one. Be sure to put the pin in your jack to keep it from falling if it loses hydraulic pressure. Changing the oil before and after hibernation seems excessive to me. I always run it to lubricate thing well before I shut it down. Then I change it in the Spring to give it fresh blood for the first ride.

Stabil won't hurt anything so why not.

I hook up a trickle charge with one of those 5 buck or so RV trailer, boat, bike chargers that Harbor Frieght sells.

That's about it except to clean it up good, protect anything chrome or polished that might degrade, and cover it with a good bike cover.

jer

·
Registered
292 Posts
I live in the northeast, and I try to ride as much as I can, (within reason). When its too cold I fire it up at least once a week, and let it warm up, Maybe a quick spin around the block. I've done this the last four winters with my old VTX, and it seems to work out ok. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
MC57 said:
I live in the northeast, and I try to ride as much as I can, (within reason). When its too cold I fire it up at least once a week, and let it warm up, Maybe a quick spin around the block. I've done this the last four winters with my old VTX, and it seems to work out ok. :bigthumbsup:
This is a good way to do it. If you leave it sitting, make sure you check the tire pressure before riding.

I ride all winter except when there is snow or is going to be snow on the roads.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've never stored or winterized a bike. I have stored and winterized many jet skis and boats. You have to put Sta-Bil in your fuel to keep it from souring, You have to drain water that may freeze, and it is best if you can get rubber tires up off the ground, this keeps them from flat siding and helps prevent dry rot.

I recommend you buy yourself a good Gortex or Cordura jacket, some ski gloves and ski bibs, and ride all year. I do, and unlike Sboden who only has 1/2 mile to ride to work, I ride about 13 miles each way. Just watch for a freezing precipitation on the forecast. I doubt the 109 makes a good snowmobile.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the cooling system: (except the guy who suggested draining it). This HAS to be the key issue. Does anybody know how good that stuff that's in the cooling water (and makes it green) works to prevent freezing??

·
Registered
844 Posts
Actually, I found the answer to my own question. Although the owner's manual does not address this issue, the shop manual explains that the bike is delivered with a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol antifreeze/corrosion supressor and distilled water. This protects against freezing to - 24 degrees F (-39 degrees C). If you need more than that (and I may), you can increase the concentration to 55% ethylene glycol (-44 degrees F/ -40 degrees C).

Raising it to 60% (the max recommended) will take you to - 67 degrees F (-55 deggrees C) -- this should be enough even for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Used to live in Toronto, Ontario. Now I live in Vancouver, British Columbia. I will be riding all winter long.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear..."
:super: :super:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts