M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. On my way to meet a friend on his way back home and my bike starts making some weird sounds. I new it was metal on metal but thought it might be my pads or a loose something or other. Well I slow down and it seems to go away but then it starts up as I speed up. I pulling get gas, don't hear the noise anymore., figure its something rubing, look for something and dont find. So I continue only to stop at the next exit. Sound coming from the right bottom half of the engine. Maybe something about to seize up. I had already check the oil, a bit low but within the min and max. looked again and its nearly to the top of the oil plug. start it check it again, same thing. Sounds are intermittent, maybe with the clutch, I don't know. I call in for the trailer. Its off to the dealership ( notice I didnt say stealer ) hopeing they can come up with and easy fix. I don't think so. My bike is now in limbo. It will probably be there there for ever. Hope not.

Any ideas as to what it might be.

Oh yeah, I think I was hearing clutch shudder a few times over the last couple of weeks. Not sure what that sound like but maybe it has someting to do with it.

Any ideas anyone as to what it might be?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Sorry to hear. As far as "hearing" clutch shudder, there is no sound for it. Clutch shudder is when the bike feels like it is wheel hopping when you let the clutch out leaving from a stop. As far as the motor, there isn't anything that I can think of that would make a rubbing sound internal. If it was something internal, I would think you would hear more of a knocking sound or something to that fact. The thing about these bikes is that what you think you hear, may not be anywhere near where the problem really is. Did you try things like pulling in the clutch to see if the sound stopped or shut the motor off and coast to see? It very well maybe something very simple.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigpapa,

before this happened I would sometimes hear something like a rattle when I first let out the clutch fresh out of the drive way. Took of with a little less throttle and it wouldnt do it again till maybe next time out. Thats was about two weeks ago.

Today I definently heard something like a high pitched sound like when you hear with a car belt slipping. The oil level is whats really weird. It was above the min mark when I first heard the noise at the first stop then it when up to close to overflowing then after sitting for a while it when down below stick level.

I just check it again after trailering it home and it was still down so I added some and started it. Motor sounds fine, with the clutch in, let out some on clutch and bads sounds come out.

Dont know what to think. When I left it had enough oil, now it makes me think it leaked oil out. Justed added more now it has too much.

Does the clutch have its own area to fill cause the fluctuating oil level on the dip stick goes from too little to too much when I added some.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Bigpapa,

before this happened I would sometimes hear something like a rattle when I first let out the clutch fresh out of the drive way. Took of with a little less throttle and it wouldnt do it again till maybe next time out. Thats was about two weeks ago.

Today I definently heard something like a high pitched sound like when you hear with a car belt slipping. The oil level is whats really weird. It was above the min mark when I first heard the noise at the first stop then it when up to close to overflowing then after sitting for a while it when down below stick level.

I just check it again after trailering it home and it was still down so I added some and started it. Motor sounds fine, with the clutch in, let out some on clutch and bads sounds come out.

Dont know what to think. When I left it had enough oil, now it makes me think it leaked oil out. Justed added more now it has too much.

Does the clutch have its own area to fill cause the fluctuating oil level on the dip stick goes from too little to too much when I added some.
No, it pulls from the oil pan. When checking the oil, are you having the bike idle for 15 minutes, not just checking it after riding for 15 minutes? How are you checking the oil?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Bigpapa,

As Rynosback said, it uses the same oil from the pan. Also, the oil check is going to show all sorts of different readings unless you do a 15/3 check from cold pretty much. Don't worry about the oil level.

Put the bike in Neutral and see if the clutch still makes bad noises when you let the clutch out. I suspect that something is going on in the clutch, not the motor. In my opinion, if you are in neutral and it is doing the same thing then it more then likely is clutch as you have removed the transmission out of the equation.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ryno I have done the check oil like we are supposed to 15/3. I also check it cold after sitting all night. I think that was one of the methods on the forum. I checked it before setting out this morning this way, it was within norms.

bigpapa it makes those popping or maybe clunking sounds with the clutch out or in sitting still. Tonight as I slowly let out the clutch some ( while on the trailer ) to see what it would do right after starting and having added some oil, it sounded real bad. Pulled the clutch back in and said thats it, this way beyond just adding oil for a fix. This sounds like its gonna send parts flying anysecond, turned it off, got off the trailer and went inside ( chicken :D ).

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yes ryno I have done the check oil like we are supposed to 15/3. I also check it cold after sitting all night. I think that was one of the methods on the forum. I checked it before setting out this morning this way, it was within norms.

bigpapa it makes those popping or maybe clunking sounds with the clutch out or in sitting still. Tonight as I slowly let out the clutch some ( while on the trailer ) to see what it would do right after starting and having added some oil, it sounded real bad. Pulled the clutch back in and said thats it, this way beyond just adding oil for a fix. This sounds like its gonna send parts flying anysecond, turned it off, got off the trailer and went inside ( chicken :D ).
Well, without tearing into it, I obviously have no clue. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Oil pump maybe

Does this thing have one? If so, then maybe the pump is going out? :dontknow:

·
Registered
121 Posts
:dontknow:could be the clutch hub nut or castle nut come loose and all the rattling is what you are hearing, you done good and are wise to pull over or you might of been thrown from the bike if it had locked up on ya!:redfaced:.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
:dontknow:could be the clutch hub nut or castle nut come loose and all the rattling is what you are hearing, you done good and are wise to pull over or you might of been thrown from the bike if it had locked up on ya!:redfaced:.
That is what I was thinking but if it came loose I would think he couldn't shift between the gears.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigpapa,

Yeap, it's in the shop now. just got back from dropping it off.

Tbar,

Oil pump? whats that? :joke:
actually I was thinking maybe the oil flow cannal or whatever they are called is blocked and the clutch got no oil for a while. remember, the oil fill was near the top the went down after sitting for a while. Have no idea how that works. Told the mech and he thought that was weird too.

axman:

it was rattleing and clunking intermittently. I like useing technicle terms.:D and flying thruogh the air without wings is not one of my prefered modes of travel.

paladin:

I was wondering what I was gonna say if I ever sold it ortraded it in. If I do trade it in on another bike it will be where I bought it. Thats who has it now for repair.

I'll keep ya'll informed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks bigpapa:

Bike is an 08 brand new off the floor and is 7 months into the warranty and has 30k miles. Hope the dont say it was normal wear that caused the problem. If they do its not warranty.

Hers hopeing for the best.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Thanks bigpapa:

Bike is an 08 brand new off the floor and is 7 months into the warranty and has 30k miles. Hope the dont say it was normal wear that caused the problem. If they do its not warranty.

Hers hopeing for the best.
:bigthumbsup:
Well first of all, if anything breaks, other then "wear" items, you are fine. The motor is NOT a wear item. Brake pads and clutch are wear items. Now, if it turns out to be clutch related then they are responsible to fix the clutch basket, hub or any other part except the clutch fibers/steels. If your tube nut came off, for instance, and fried your clutch at the same time then they would cover all the labor and parts except the $100 for the clutch pack itself.

So, since you are under warranty, you should not have any issues getting it fixed for nothing or very cheap. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
axman:

it was rattleing and clunking intermittently. I like useing technicle terms.:D and flying thruogh the air without wings is not one of my prefered modes of travel.
I would but bets on it`s the tube nut!!, but hey i`m not a gambling man, but from what you have said about the noise it sure does sound familiar from what! the other guys,have said about their NUTS :joke: LOOSENING, lol. on here.:pray: But what big papa said you should be ok on the warranty!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iwould but bets on it`s the tube nut!!, but hey i`m not a gambling man, but from what you have said about the noise it sure does sound familiar from what! the other guys,have said about their NUTS :joke: LOOSENING, lol. on here.:pray: But what big papa said you should be ok on the warranty!
LOL

Thanks for the support and info fellers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Update:

She's gonna be fine. I on the other hand have no bike for at least 3 weeks if no parts are back ordered.

They opened the side I guess and they found the roller bearing on the clutch shaft had a 1/4 in wobble, not good. Thats what gave out. They had some mechanic shop talk I have never heard before. Evidently it was so unique the way it gave out I don't know if they couldn't believe what happened or they couldn't believe how I had managed to tear it all up. :dontknow:

It was a bearing that gave out and according to the shop it was very uncommon. They said Suzuki will warranty the repair and the mechanic wanted to know if by chance I had my eye on new pipes since this would be a great time to put in some new ones. I'm on the net looking.;)
He said it took two guys to carry the stock pipes off the bike, think he said they weighted 80 lbs.

The mechanic also asked if I had put in a new clutch recently. I said no and why. He said it looked new and in perfect condition. :eek:
The way I ride that bike I thought he would of said its time to consider revamping the clutch.
I guess I'll just keep on using that synthetic and driving like a bat outta hell if thats what it takes to keep that clutch looking new.:D

Anyway, good news and it's time to look for some pipes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update:

Service manager got the parts ordered, nothing seems to be on back order. Parts should be in sometime next week. He ordered the bearing that fell apart and the shaft the clutch is on.

The question I have is , he mentioned they had to take apart one of the pistons/cylinder for some reason so he was going to lightly hone the cylinder and put new rings on there.

Is one cylinder with new rings going to effect the overall performance. Should they both have new rings or is this fine.

I don't know if this would throw the works off.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
"The question I have is , he mentioned they had to take apart one of the pistons/cylinder for some reason so he was going to lightly hone the cylinder and put new rings on there."

WTH? What in the world from the vibration and the wobbling of the bearing made them take a jug off and check the piston and the rings? Did they to a leak down or compression check? unless it failed a leak down or compression check would they need to tear into a cylinder, that I know of.

Do they have the whole motor out? I would ask what the measurement of the cylinder is and find out if they checked the other cyclinder.

I had one of my cylinders fail a leak down check and since I needed one set of rings I had them replace both sets. Wanted to start with both cylinder the same since my motor was out.

Man I hope they cover all of this under warranty. Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"The question I have is , he mentioned they had to take apart one of the pistons/cylinder for some reason so he was going to lightly hone the cylinder and put new rings on there."

WTH? What in the world from the vibration and the wobbling of the bearing made them take a jug off and check the piston and the rings? Did they to a leak down or compression check? unless it failed a leak down or compression check would they need to tear into a cylinder, that I know of.

Do they have the whole motor out? I would ask what the measurement of the cylinder is and find out if they checked the other cyclinder.

I had one of my cylinders fail a leak down check and since I needed one set of rings I had them replace both sets. Wanted to start with both cylinder the same since my motor was out.

Man I hope they cover all of this under warranty. Let us know what they say.
Yes, its all under warranty. I have no idea why they had that cylinder out. Now I'm wondering why.

Another question, Is there a clutch revision/undate they should be aware of and do? I know some are changing out a clutch plate and washer. Is that a recall?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts