M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,My name is Joe. New to the board. Picked up a new burple bike in Pa. friday, 38 miles from home, I live in N.J. Loaded it into the back of a pick-up. Small family owned dealer with no provisions for temporary plates. Haven't been on a motorcycle for 20 some years.
Wow, what a bike. I drive the bike a couple of miles from my home to a large business parking lot to practice stop and goes. Drive around for about 10 miles, turn the engine off with the kill switch. As I turn off the engine, the starter engages, take the key out, starter still running. Battery goes dead shortly, like 20 seconds of cranking. I disconnect the battery. Now when I touch the cable to the battery, sparks and a heavy current draw. Got the truck to the bike, tried jumper cables, starter runs, key out , flip switches, nothing changes the starter running. Load the bike back into the pick-up. Dealer closed until Wednesday.
Any ideas? Love the bike and the site. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yeah, let the dealer fix it! Sounds like a starter relay is stuck or shorted and or the starter button is stuck. Sounds coincidental but the kill switch is on the right side handle bar control same as the starter button, wonder did the housing get wet?, wash it lately?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the problem. Couldn't sleep last night, thinking about the problem. Battery was disconnected and charging up. Disconnected the positive lead to the starter and isolated it so not to touch ground. Reconnected the battery and as I did, listened for the solenoid clicking on when the battery was connected, no click which means the solenoid was stuck on. Now, finding the solenoid was not easy. The starter deos not have a solenoid attached to it. Traced the wires back from the starter and found the solenoid directly in front of the battery with the positive wire going from the battery to the solenoid then another wire leaving the solenoid going directly to the starter. Tapped on the solenoid with the back side of the screwdriver, solenoid disengaged.Hooked everything back up, works ok.
I think as I shut off the bike with the kill switch, I hit the starter button at the same time and then the solenoid engaged and would not release for some reason. If it happens again Iwill have the dealer replace the solenoid.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the responses.
Joe

G

·
Joe, Hope everything works out for you. Tough way to start back after 20 years, but sounds like you have a good understanding of bikes and you seemed to figure it out yourself pretty quick. I know what you mean. When something isn't right with the bike, I go nuts. I will sit in the garage for hours and sometimes the wife finds me there the next morning. Oh well, I love my bikes, what can I say. Welcome!!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey I know the feeling of laying awake thinking WTF happened to my brand new 9. I bought my bike on a Thurs. evening and rode it home for a rather short trip, 11 miles to be exact. This gave the me a total of 12 miles. As I made the last turn into my sub. the 9 starting chugging and detonating and as I pulled into my driveway it died and would not start. Sounded as though it overheated. The dealership picked up the bike Fri. morning and had a brand new one out of the box ready for me when I got off work Fri. evening. I was amazed to receive a new bike. Probably the only board member to have owned 2 109's in 2 days. Ride safe and welcome to the 109 family. 8)-Z

·
Registered
207 Posts
ELECTRICZ28 said:
Hey I know the feeling of laying awake thinking WTF happened to my brand new 9. I bought my bike on a Thurs. evening and rode it home for a rather short trip, 11 miles to be exact. This gave the me a total of 12 miles. As I made the last turn into my sub. the 9 starting chugging and detonating and as I pulled into my driveway it died and would not start. Sounded as though it overheated. The dealership picked up the bike Fri. morning and had a brand new one out of the box ready for me when I got off work Fri. evening. I was amazed to receive a new bike. Probably the only board member to have owned 2 109's in 2 days. Ride safe and welcome to the 109 family. 8)-Z
What was up with the first one? Did they ever tell you or did you ask? I'd be real curious as to what the deallyo was. :eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
did you have your truck running when you tried to jump the bike? if so, you may start having problems with the charging system on the bike. a friend of mine blew the stator on his yamaha when he did it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dan Tanna said:
  What was up with the first one? Did they ever tell you or did you ask? I'd be real curious as to what the deallyo was. :eek:
I asked the dealer on 2 occasions about the first M I had. The salesman said he didn't know but they sold it. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts