M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to go with a bigger tire on the rear.....what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
297 Posts
280 on a stock rim...is NOT a good idea! Some do it most don't. It does look good, but I won't do it. My buddy has a 280 I rode it, and you have to push it around the corners. 260 looks great and handles awesome!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
why not the 280?
Because Metz does not recomend it on an 8.5" rim.

If you want to go to a 10" rim, then go for the 280. No mods are needed to fit it other than the wheel.

Done properly, the 280 still handles great as many here will gladly tell you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I once had a tire that was
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( )
>----------------------------------|-------------------------------------<
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . / \

this big.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
go 300 thats the best.
If you feel like doing a bunch of mods to the bike itself, then go for the 300.

They way I look at it:
The 280 is the largest that fits the bike.
You can make the bike fit a 300.
I chose to fit a tire to my bike than my bike to a tire.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Ahh, I'd love to have a 300... The "ELITE" club.. True craftsmen if you ask me the way they manipulate and mod the bikes to fit that big a tire... I bow to them.. LOL. :bigthumbsup:

For us less fortunate, 250 or 260 and at best 280 on a 10" rim..
:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Ahh, I'd love to have a 300... The "ELITE" club.. True craftsmen if you ask me the way they manipulate and mod the bikes to fit that big a tire... I bow to them.. LOL. :bigthumbsup:

For us less fortunate, 250 or 260 and at best 280 on a 10" rim..
I'd like to join that club, but I fear I am not at that level of craftsmanship just yet, or maybe never will be. They are the true modders, those that can bend the bike to their liking and fit those parts that the manufacturer only dreamed of doing. True craftsmen, these few are. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'd like to join that club, but I fear I am not at that level of craftsmanship just yet, or maybe never will be. They are the true modders, those that can bend the bike to their liking and fit those parts that the manufacturer only dreamed of doing. True craftsmen, these few are. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
when my 280 gets wornout that will be my next mod 300 :drool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the 300 looks a bit over the top, Just don't look right. I'd rather put the money into the bike else where.

Onnie

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after reading this the best thing to do is go 260?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you are just looking to go bigger on the tire then a 260 on the stock rim will work. It will give you a rounder (cross-cut) profile which seems to give it better handling in the corners and switchbacks. However, the width should remain about the same as a stock tire due to the fact that the rim with has not changed. But, the height of the 260 will be taller than stock.
Food for thought.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would go for the 260 on the stock rim. In my opinion it does look wider than a 240.
It IS wider than a 240 even on the same rim. It does pinch it in a bit, but it still hangs over the rim a bit more than stock.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
So after reading this the best thing to do is go 260?
it all depends on how much money you want to spend in order to achieve the look you want.

if you want to slap the fattest tire that you can on the bike, and don't mind spending an extra $4K on a swingarm, new wheels, and doing some fabrication to the rear fender and possibly the rear swingarm......then go 300. personally i don't see the reason in spending all that extra money and doing that extra work for a tire that is only a few mm wider than a 280. i would go with a 280 instead.

a 280 will cost you less but you still have to get a 10" wheel, in order to do it safely. if you go with coastal moto's package deal it can save you some dough.

a stock rear wheel can handle the dunlop elite 3 250, a metz 260 or a avon. these are the least expensive and least involved tie options.

like i said, it is all up to you and what you are going for. good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts