M109 Rider Forums banner

Big Guys Beware! Bent Bolts on Peg Mount!

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  big69 
G
#1 ·
Well I was riding on Sunday with the wife and was in a hard sweeping right turn and at a private drive entrance out pops a cager and does not look like she is going to stop. So I push on the left bar and lean on the left peg and throttle it to move out and around the stupid cager.

After the manuver I look down and my left foot is out 2 inches and down and inch.

I get home thinking I bent or broke the peg, it is dark so I park the bike and leave it for the daylight. Today I get to it and start to look at the peg and it is fine and after further review I find the peg mount is 1/4 inch away from the frame holes.

I proceed to remove the two mounting bolts from the peg/shift lever mount and they are bent a 1/4 inch, about an 1/2 inch from the head of the bolt. I will post pictures for you non believers when I get home tonight.

They are 10mm x 90mm x 1.25 threads, the dealer did not have them and they were not available to order, so had to go on a hunt at HD, Lowes and Aco. ACO had 10mm x 100mm x 1.25 and 10mm x 80mm x 1.25 but not the 90 mm. I bought both, the 80mm is too short and the 100 is a little long but is working at this time. The HD and Lowes were strike outs.

If you have to do this do not remove both bolts at the same time as there is a motor mount on the back side of the frame that the bolts has to go through. If you do remove both at the same time you will be cussing your self trying to get the Rubics cube lined up again.

Anyhow, I was told at the dealer that they make these bolts soft so that they will bend in the event of a fall over and not break the frame, so do not use grade 8 to replace, per dealer.

RAW_TAZ

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not in knowledge about various hardware stores in certain areas of the country but I usually do strike out at Home Depot and Lowes when looking for metric hardware. My best bet is Ace Hardware which is a couple miles further away but worth it. I feel like a kid in a candy store there. I just hope they do not get pushed out by the big boyz.

#9 ·
I think I get the picture of what happened in your peg-dragging mishap. It seems to me that it was a GOOD thing that the bolts bent. If they didn't, your peg mighthave dug in, and lifted the rear tire, causing a major spin-out. Am I missing something?? I'd rather be replacing bolts than the skn on my butt.

G
#10 ·
tomph1 said:
Â

I think I get the picture of what happened in your peg-dragging mishap. It seems to me that it was a GOOD thing that the bolts bent. If they didn't, your peg mighthave dug in, and lifted the rear tire, causing a major spin-out. Am I missing something?? I'd rather be replacing bolts than the skn on my butt.
Never dragged a thing, they bent from force of my leg.

But you are on track with the concept that Suzuki has with the soft bolts.

TAZ

G
#12 ·
Taz,

Since reading your post I'm happy to say that I drink one less beer per night to cut back on calories and the results are really remarkable except my wife doesn't look as pretty when I go to bed. You are an inspiration!

G
#13 ·
Hardly Davidson said:
Taz,

Since reading your post I'm happy to say that I drink one less beer per night to cut back on calories and the results are really remarkable except my wife doesn't look as pretty when I go to bed. You are an inspiration!
Hey Bro, some of us, love ourselves just the way we are.

And do you know that a Alaskan brown bear on avg at adult age weighs 900lbs. :joke: :joke: :joke: :bigthumbsup:

G
#14 ·
raw_taz said:
Hey Bro, some of us, love ourselves just the way we are.

And do you know that a Alaskan brown bear on avg at adult age weighs 900lbs. :joke: :joke: :joke: :bigthumbsup:
ROOOOOARRRRRRR!!!!!!
You're talking to someone who's 6'2" 275 lbs. and owns a kegerator full of premium ale. I don't allow any scales in the house because I tell the misses that I'm only 250. She jokes and tells me my dick is getting smaller. That bitch. lol
Anyhow, glad you survived the tunnel-visioned cager. Where is Big-Air?

G
#15 ·
Hardly Davidson said:
ROOOOOARRRRRRR!!!!!!
You're talking to someone who's 6'2" 275 lbs. and owns a kegerator full of premium ale. I don't allow any scales in the house because I tell the misses that I'm only 250. She jokes and tells me my dick is getting smaller. That bitch. lol
Anyhow, glad you survived the tunnel-visioned cager. Where is Big-Air?
At least your are a middle weight in my book. Mine too, but I have perfected other talents.

It is close, soon, very soon son.

G
#16 ·
Taz,

You have a nice looking lady and a nice looking bike. I have all of those things. But those are sweet rainbows you're showing. Where do you catch them and what are you using for bait? Errr, I mean, what kind of numbers can we expect from the Big-Air system?

G
#17 ·
One is Rainbow and the other is a StealHead.

The rainbow was caught on a "Circus Peanut" fly stripping streamers 15 minutes on the river, Jonnie Ray Rocks, Hawkins Outfitters, on the Pere Marquete river in Michigan on my birthday last year 11-15-2005.

The Stealhead was 8 for 10 on the Manistee River with Chuck Hawkins, in March and My best Bro Dave Rapier, on various stealhead "Bait" not so much as Hawks Fly's and Rooks luck made for a great day. This is my second passion in life.

Anyway if you are into big fish on a Fly let me know and I will hook you up.

TAZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.