M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting close for my time to decide on what Big Air Kit to purchase. What is working best for the 9 while taking into account looks and ease of installation and serviceability. I know this has probably been a topic prior to mine but I am certain there are still alot of 9R's thinking the same thing. Thanks for all your input. Z :doorag:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There have so many excellent examples of ingenuity. It's hard to decide.

The BIG AIR is a very nice kit, at $500+ for the chrome. It well made, easy to install and clean. But it can sting the ole bank account.

Recently someone made there own custom air kit with 1" thick plastic cutting board (I think) and a couple of filters from PepBoys. That was a nice kit also.

I say, if you have the skills, make your own. If no, buy the BIG AIR....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Delmustator said:
There have so many excellent examples of ingenuity. It's hard to decide.

The BIG AIR is a very nice kit, at $500+ for the chrome. It well made, easy to install and clean. But it can sting the ole bank account.Â

Recently someone made there own custom air kit with 1" thick plastic cutting board (I think) and a couple of filters from PepBoys. That was a nice kit also.

I say, if you have the skills, make your own. If no, buy the BIG AIR....
It wouldn't look something like this one, would it?? :D :D :D

My first choice had I decided to buy instead of build would have been the Big Air offered by this sights sponsor DLP. That unit is precision CNCed and a "First Class" product. You get what you pay for and those units are worth every penny :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the big air chrome it is a bit pricey I bit the bullet and it is well worth it the bike is so responsive now its a night and day difference. So easy to install you could do it in half an hour.

·
Registered
696 Posts
raph4u said:
I have the big air chrome it is a bit pricey I bit the bullet and it is well worth it the bike is so responsive now its a night and day difference. So easy to install you could do it in half an hour.
i'm holding out for the DLP chrome... gonna bite the bullet and step up with the cash when i am ready.. i like the look and the work behind it...mjm

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I think the price of the DLP Big air will be comparable to anything else out there by the looks of it. By the feedback from those that have one, it looks like the quality is up there with anything else you would buy also.
It really comes down to what look you're going for. By the sounds of it, there may be several other options out there by summer as well. One is the Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger. I've been trying to decide between getting the "Big Air from DLP" now, or wait for the hypercharger in the summer.
"Kuryakyn is threatening to have this ready for the 109 this summer, as per an email they sent me."
Trouble is, I'm impulsive, and I ride all winter long here in awesome Vancouver. I'm not sure I can, or want to wait until summer.
Decisions - Decisions....
One other member has customer fit the hypercharger to their 109, and I have to say, it looks pretty sweet. You've gotta love the butterfly valvues too.
Time and patience will determine what I end up with...

·
Registered
191 Posts
the black bigair is a great product, only downside is that it was very poorly anodised.

the round corners are not fully anodised, so the grayish metal colour shines thru and there was a 4.5 inch scratch on the round cover. :verymad:

(which holds the aircleaner down) i don't know if they all are this poorly anodised, but i would go for the chrome ones.

i asked dlp/hal for a solution, and they said they would ask the shop who anodised them for a solution to fix this.

but since this is not answered for over a month, i guess i am stuck with it the way it is. :dontknow:

now don't take this the wrong way, it is a great product, and ill order from dlp everytime because other than this they are the ones

with the best stuff and customer care in my opinion. and of course, dlp didn't anodise em themselves, if they would have done this

i am sure it would have never left dlp. and it makes the bike look even meaner. (and i love how you can hear it sucking for air) :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I think I may have the only polished version of the BIG AIR at the moment. I wanted the option to chrome, paint, or whatever...

You can't go wrong with a BIG AIR...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
                                 THANKS EVERYONE

·
Registered
43 Posts
That pic on here.. Of the big air.. Is that before the cover is put on?? I know that might be a dumb question but I haven't done any mods to mine yet so I really don't know...

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Stipetich said:
That pic on here.. Of the big air.. Is that before the cover is put on?? I know that might be a dumb question but I haven't done any mods to mine yet so I really don't know...
If you're talking about the pic in this thread, that is not a Big Air, it's the homemade version using a cutting board and Pep Boys filter. Actually, I think it's using the 1" thick bathroom divider stuff mentioned in that thread, but anyway.

If you want a pic of the big air, look in this thread. http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5846.0 Just realize that there is a decal on the chrome cap, and that the stock chrome big air will be just a shiney chrome round cap. The filter itself is exposed and not covered like on the stock 109.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts