M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone using for a headlight bulb in the 109 nowdays? Im assuming some kind of LED? Im about to install a fairing on the bike and dont want to have to take it back off any time soon to replace a bulb. I am currently running the sylvania silverstar but they do not last long so looking for a good upgrade that is a lot brighter and that will last.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,945 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I buy the Silverstars in twin packs and I'm lucky if I get 2 years out of them. There are a few threads on here about LED bulbs and I'm planning on digging them up when I get ready to go to LED.

The only reason I haven't done it so far is that I have LED bulbs in my truck and even with them adjusted down a lot, I still get folks flashing their lights at me. They are just super bright when looking at them head on, so they appear to be aimed too high even when they aren't.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have tested around 10 led bulbs. The Cyclops Ultra is the best one out there, unless you go Hoglights or Revo. It is amazing. Not cheap, but it blows away all that I have tested. A

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've tried the other bulbs , LED and higher wattage halogen , I gave up and got the CPOWACE LED headlight , $390 on Amazon.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tested around 10 led bulbs. The Cyclops Ultra is the best one out there, unless you go Hoglights or Revo. It is amazing. Not cheap, but it blows away all that I have tested. A
Sounds like i will be trying the cyclops but tell me, does it blind oncoming traffic like some LED's do and also, is it plug and play or is there modifications that has to be done to make it work?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds like i will be trying the cyclops but tell me, does it blind oncoming traffic like some LED's do and also, is it plug and play or is there modifications that has to be done to make it work?
Thanks!!
An LED bulb in a reflector designed for an incandescent bulb will both light up the tree tops and blind oncoming traffic , but it does light up the road well.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
It's plug-and-play. But requires a slight modification of the rubber boot around the bulb. Nothing that even a ham-fisted hillbilly like me couldn't do.

I don't ride mine at night often. And generally, when I do, every one else is already cuttin zzzzz's. So I am not too concerned if it blinds everyone or not.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't mind if it blinds others. At least you know they will see you. I was riding with my daughter in law the other night, and the headlight on her Ninja 400 was blinding. So I think that is OK to blind some people.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks!!
You can adjust the headlight. My wife was never flashed by oncoming traffic when she had it. She has moved onto the Revo headlight but she loved the Cyclops. It is bright, people can see you very well during the day, and great visibility at night.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,577 Posts
An LED bulb in a reflector designed for an incandescent bulb will both light up the tree tops and blind oncoming traffic , but it does light up the road well.
IMHO that seems to be true for not well designed LEDs, their high and low LEDs are not positioned to exact measurements as the OEM halogen H4, meaning not in the exact focal points of the reflector high and low respectively. Many LEDs do not even have a internal shield at the low beam led, to prevent light beam hittng the bottom of the parabolic reflector and therefore shining upwards and blinding opposite traffic.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks!!
You'll have to spend a bit of time re-aiming your headlight beam. It will be noticeably higher than the original bulb. There is a lot of good MC headlight aiming instructions and videos on the Interweb.

I also got away without having to modify my rubber headlight boot. I don't remember what I did but I didn't have to cut it to get it over the cooling fins and fan like others had. I think there was a thread on this forum that explained how to do it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll have to spend a bit of time re-aiming your headlight beam. It will be noticeably higher than the original bulb. There is a lot of good MC headlight aiming instructions and videos on the Interweb.

I also got away without having to modify my rubber headlight boot. I don't remember what I did but I didn't have to cut it to get it over the cooling fins and fan like others had. I think there was a thread on this forum that explained how to do it.
how do you aim the headlight on this bike? does the whole headlight cowl have to move up or down?

·
Registered
151 Posts
how do you aim the headlight on this bike? does the whole headlight cowl have to move up or down?
On the right side of the back of the headlight , towards the top kind of , there is a hole in the black plastic to access , you can turn the adjusting bolt with an allen socket on an extension. You'll see the allen head bolt in the hole.

to turn it

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am running the Cyclops on my Nine and haven't had problems with vehicles flashing their lights at night. Though I don't ride much at night. I can say that the guys who I ride with tell me the light (on high beam) is very bright in the daytime, which is the primary reason why put the LED in the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good to hear Cyclops Ultra is recommended here. I'll upgrade the headlight when I replaced the front brake pads. Need to finish first the installation of the suspension from 4 Wheelonline onto the truck before I can start working on the bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good to hear Cyclops Ultra is recommended here. I'll upgrade the headlight when I replaced the front brake pads. Need to finish first the installation of the suspension from 4 Wheelonline onto the truck before I can start working on the bike.
Once you get the light in, you will want to adjust it. The adjustment is behind the headlight on the exhaust side and is in the big open hole where you will see an allen bolt.

You want to use flat ground with a wall.

1. Mark 17' from the wall and place the motorcycle at that mark. I personally put the headlight at that spot, not the front wheel.
2. Take a measurement from the ground to the center of your headlight with the bike upright. Useful to have someone sit on the bike.
3. Make a mark on the wall at the same height as your measurement from step 2.
4. Adjust your headlight so that the top of the narrow horizontal beam is 2 inches below the mark you made on the wall.

This will get you in the ball park and then you can adjust as needed after some rides.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I installed the cyclops ultra and WOW its bright! I definately need to adjust it now because with the fairing installed, its pushing the headlight nacelle upward so the light is to high and will blind oncomers. Will do bigpapa's advice.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts