M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i'm so far from an expert, but for small dent i fill with paint, sand ( 2000 ), compound ( 3M rubbing compound ) and wax .... :pop:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this isnt that small of a dent, the bike fell from the kickstand and had a decent small dent. It's maybe a quarter inch deep by 4 inches wide total surface area effected. I'm assuming I can tack a spike on it and pull it out. A buddy of mine is good at bodywork so I'm gonna see what he says.

For the story... I had to dismount the bike quickly and while doing so I didn't engage the kickstand all the way. The bike held for over a minute before she flopped. :-[... The bike is lowered 2.5 inches, so I'm sure that didnt help the situation out due to weight transfer.

Clutch lever snapped, tank dented, and rear chrome accent piece has a nice scratch.. so I'm assuming I have to get that re-dipped. :dontknow::-\

·
Registered
159 Posts
buy a new tank is the best way........:dontknow:

if the dent is small, like a dimple or ding, try dry ice, it will make the metal tighten up and take the dent out. If there is a crease the only thing is to fill it and paint it. Good luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well this isnt that small of a dent, the bike fell from the kickstand and had a decent small dent. It's maybe a quarter inch deep by 4 inches wide total surface area effected. I'm assuming I can tack a spike on it and pull it out. A buddy of mine is good at bodywork so I'm gonna see what he says.

For the story... I had to dismount the bike quickly and while doing so I didn't engage the kickstand all the way. The bike held for over a minute before she flopped. :-[... The bike is lowered 2.5 inches, so I'm sure that didnt help the situation out due to weight transfer.

Clutch lever snapped, tank dented, and rear chrome accent piece has a nice scratch.. so I'm assuming I have to get that re-dipped. :dontknow::-\
with all that being said I am sure some body work will be needed and paint work. sorry to hear about that

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
there's a vid on ebay of somebody heating up a dent with a hair dryer and then using canned air, like you use for cleaning your computers and keyboards out. turn it upside down and spray it on the dent after you get it hot and the rapid contraction supposedly pops the dent out.

disclaimer: this could still cause problems with paint, but it might work

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
there's a vid on ebay of somebody heating up a dent with a hair dryer and then using canned air, like you use for cleaning your computers and keyboards out. turn it upside down and spray it on the dent after you get it hot and the rapid contraction supposedly pops the dent out.

disclaimer: this could still cause problems with paint, but it might work

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already tried it boys! It wont work on a curved piece of metal like the fuel tank. This trick does seem to work well on flat sheet metal, though.

It looks like we will be trying the old school way by going through the fuel tank like the video VinnieB posted.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Thats crazy LOL,,,,,,,,,I have used a toilet plunger on big ones that haven't put creases in the metal.........

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Already tried it boys! It wont work on a curved piece of metal like the fuel tank. This trick does seem to work well on flat sheet metal, though.

It looks like we will be trying the old school way by going through the fuel tank like the video VinnieB posted.
I had a pretty bad creased dent in my tank about 6"long. I got lucky and found a brandnew tank for $300 shipped, LOL

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Getting it out without paint damage is dependent completely on the severity of the damage. There are toms of ways to fix it and unfortunatley most require the skills of a body man. I would suggest either buying a new one (or good used) or getting a pro to fix it. have you turned it in on insurance?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought i was going to have to buy a new tank or take the tank to a body shop. I decide to take a chance and repair it myself. I watched a bunch of paintless dent repair videos, bought several aluminum rods from home depot, a pops a dent kit and went to work. I bent the rods to shape so that I could work the dent from the inside of the tank. I pushed the dent out a little at a time then i used the dent kit and finally the nylon tool from the kit and a hammer to knock down the dent ridge. This part took a while, I when a round the dent for about 2 hours and the dent got smaller and smaller. What was a dent about the size of your thumb is now barely visible. I then used a color rite paint pen, clear coat pen and sand paper to finish things off. It's not perfect but for now it will do. Most folks wouldn't even know that it had been repaired.

These a some of the videos I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1B...duGMgg&usg=AFQjCNFx-HSON6lUb0gsoQ2lxi3eyzGYkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBXc...M27QJw&usg=AFQjCNFgani_Yj4L7QGOfOHZJBhGHUDlsQ

·
Registered
518 Posts
Drain tank, fill with water, put in freezer. Keep close eye on it, As soon as dent pops out get it out before it bursts open.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought i was going to have to buy a new tank or take the tank to a body shop. I decide to take a chance and repair it myself. I watched a bunch of paintless dent repair videos, bought several aluminum rods from home depot, a pops a dent kit and went to work. I bent the rods to shape so that I could work the dent from the inside of the tank. I pushed the dent out a little at a time then i used the dent kit and finally the nylon tool from the kit and a hammer to knock down the dent ridge. This part took a while, I when a round the dent for about 2 hours and the dent got smaller and smaller. What was a dent about the size of your thumb is now barely visible. I then used a color rite paint pen, clear coat pen and sand paper to finish things off. It's not perfect but for now it will do. Most folks wouldn't even know that it had been repaired.

These a some of the videos I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1B...duGMgg&usg=AFQjCNFx-HSON6lUb0gsoQ2lxi3eyzGYkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBXc...M27QJw&usg=AFQjCNFgani_Yj4L7QGOfOHZJBhGHUDlsQ
Awesome. Thanks for your input.

Drain tank, fill with water, put in freezer. Keep close eye on it, As soon as dent pops out get it out before it bursts open.
Seriously???

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have dealt with a few tank dents and taken them to several body-shop guys to try to fix them.

The general answers I got were don't bother on small dents on curved surfaces.

Fill the instead. Remove the paint, scuff the metal, fill with fiberglass and finish with bondo.

It works great and you will never even be able to tell where it was.

I have a slightly dented tank I got from Joe that I will be repairing in this way in the near future. If you would like me to take pictures of the process, let me know.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have dealt with a few tank dents and taken them to several body-shop guys to try to fix them.

Fill the instead. Remove the paint, scuff the metal, fill with fiberglass and finish with bondo.

I have a slightly dented tank I got from Joe that I will be repairing in this way in the near future. If you would like me to take pictures of the process, let me know.
Thats interesting. Yeah, that would be great.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts

I agree with this statement. Only problem is matching the factory paint to your existing parts. Rarely works out in my experience. You'd be better off turning it into insurance, if you're stock, and buying a new one already painted the color of your bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts