M109 Rider Forums banner

To "Short Shift" or "Not to Short Shift" - That is the Question ?

• Short Shifting is Faster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just before it limits out is Faster

• A combination of both is Faster

• Never tested it

• Never looked, too busy driving!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never actually raced anyone yet. I've never had the opportunity, but sometime down the road I'm sure.

My question to the many, who have raced many times; is the 109 faster with a short shift, or just before the rev limiter?
Maybe a combination of both. I would really like to hear from those that have been there done that. Maybe some of you have even done time trials using different ways of shifting.
I'm sure many have a preferred way of shifting, but I want to know which way is faster.
:p

·
Registered
665 Posts
Around 6500RPM,seems to be in the peak of the power band.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
After red lining my bike a lot and hitting the rev limiter, I now try and shift at about 6k rpm. Going further into the revs doesn't really seem to buy you anything and it seems like your on a better point of the torque/horsepower curver for this bike to go on and shift at 6k. I'm using a simple rule of being on the powerband. When I shift into 2nd at red line, I get nice acceleration. When I shift into 2nd at 6k, my front wheel clears the ground by a good bit. That sure seems like being better into the power band to me.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
what exactly is short shifting? i've heard of "speed shifting" meaning no reduction in throttle and just clutching really fast. i've also heard of folks slamming it through the gears without using the clutch at all...is that short shifting?

i usually shift around 6500 when i'm getting on it, and "speed shift" as described above.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The answer to the question is a split second before it hits the limiter, the JSD is needed to do that though.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Short shifting is just shifting anywhere under the redline , usually done to bring the motor back into the sweet spot of the HP/TQ curve quicker.
Basicly when you feel the power flatten out its time to shift even if you are 1000-1500 rpms under redline.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Short shifting is just shifting anywhere under the redline , usually done to bring the motor back into the sweet spot of the HP/TQ curve quicker.
Basicly when you feel the power flatten out its time to shift even if you are 1000-1500 rpms under redline.
i see. i didn't know they invented a name for this, i thought that was just commen sense.

G

·
put a shift light on the bike $100 when the shift light comes on (set at 6350) press the button to shift or use your foot and slam it home never hit the RL again

·
Registered
775 Posts
Any of you ever just ride down the road casually. not at 120. not burning it down or standing it up? i'm just asking cause i'm tempted to do it; but, don't want to waste the time if it's not worth it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok...here's a take on this subject from an old timer. Not saying this still applies but here we go. I know of three types of shifting: short shifting, power shifting and speed shifting. The last one I'd use on a motorcycle only.

Short shifting:
First, imagine the H-pattern on a car's typical 4-speed manual tranny. Start in first, then shift into second, now when you make your next shift, you take the short-cut to fourth, bypassing third all together. Short shifting meant using that "short-cut". Clutching is done as normal. This was what we did back in the day of torque monster cars when just driving around town.

Power shifting:
First, it helps to be in shape to do this one correctly, most racers are. Again imagine the same position in a 4-speed car. This time you get a firm grip on the steering wheel with your left hand, think of a triangle from left hand to butt to right foot. That's how you will flex hard and stay balanced so as to keep the right hand and left foot loose for this one. You start off in first as usual for a racing start. Once rolling you keep that right foot planted hard, like standing on the throttle for balance. Now while gripping the wheel with your left hand and keeping WOT with the right foot, you stab or kick at the clutch with your left foot as you shift into second, etc.. Not trying to push the clutch all the way in or down, more like a little over half, different cars, different spot.

The key is to brace yourself on that steering wheel and throttle, never let up on it the whole way down the road or track, then kick that clutch in and out just enough to make the shift while under full power, thus the term "power shift". It may sound easy enough but it's not. Left hand and right foot must remain very stiff, right hand and left foot must remain very loose.

Speed shifting:
This is the one we all know and love. It's like the opposite of blipping your throttle on a motorcycle. You begin moving away in first as normal, using the clutch...aw hell, you must all know this one! By the way, I am not saying it can't be done in some cars too, I've done it before. Didn't break anything but I do feel that you'd better be willing to break something if you keep trying this method in a regular car.

At any rate, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's my take on the three types of shifting. Have fun, be strong and stay safe....well reasonably safe anyhow.

LG :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
LionsGate,

You are correct but the more modern meaning for short shifting is to shift before redline at some RPM lower as in our case 7400 RPM's. What some people are doing is shifting at 6300-6500 at least from 1st to second.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
joet said:
put a shift light on the bike $100 when the shift light comes on (set at 6350) press the button to shift or use your foot and slam it home never hit the RL again
I think I'm pretty much with you here. When I say I shift at 6k, I watch the tach and when it hits 6k I start initiating the shift up. The result is most likely a shift at 6,200 or 6300 rpm. This seems to really launch the 09 forward on a better point of the torque/hp curve than going all the way to redline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts