M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my MSF course, I was taught to always use the kill switch, to stop the bike...

I've seen a lot of people on here, say to just turn off the ignition...

I've also seen people who say to just put the kick stand down, to kill the ignition...

So, out of all the ways out there, what is the best way, and SAFEST for the bike, to stop the engine running, when you are ready to shut her down normally?

·
Registered
317 Posts
as long as you always remember to turn the key off afterwards any way is fine, but the kill switch is an emergency kill switch, and the side stand switch is a safety device so technically the proper way is turning the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty forgetfull so I have always turn off the key to kill it or I'll end up leaving the key in the bike. :mad:

CD SWANK

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
You gotta be kiddin me, the ignition switch?? WAY out of the way.
Kill switch, kickstand, key, it dont matter they all do the same thing.
None of them are wrong. None will hurt your ride.

To use the ignition your bike would need to be in neutral so you could let go of the clutch to reach down. After hearing about "POSSIBLE" kickstand issues I always park in 1st gear, so it is 1) kill switch 2) watch the kickstand fully engage 3) watch the bike land on stand safely (already dropped mine) 4) Get off, grab key, insert in pocket and remove gloves, glasses, helmet. Explain to admirers what you are riding....

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
This is the safest way young grasshopper...

put kickstand down with bike still in gear- that way it can't roll away and it turns off by itself,

then take key out of ignition so battery does not go dead by just using kill switch,

presto- bike is off with key out and in gear to prevent rolling

kill switch is for an emergency ,
that is why it is located next to the throttle as someone above already mentioned

ride safe

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use the kill switch and leave the ignition on until I'm ready to get off the bike. If I'm backing it in, this way the engine is off and I'm not sucking fumes, but the lights are still on so I can be seen by others. If I have to fire it up again real quick, it's just a flick of the thumb and I'm ready :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Shut-down procedure;

Coast into the liquor store parking lot.
Park sideways across 2 parking spaces making sure there is room in front of you.
Let out the clutch while squeezing the brake to kill the bike.
Get off the bike, catch it before it falls over, lower the kickstand.
Run into the store and get 2 six-packs of beverage of choice.
Run back out and try to remember which bike is yours. (It's the one with the lights still on dumb-a$$)
Realize you don't have any place to put your purchase.
Drink one beer from each six-pack.
Hang a six-pack on each side of the handlebars with the now available handle on the six-pack.
Squeeze clutch and hit the start button.
Raise the kickstand up and try again.
Squeal the tire as you leave tha parking lot
Cuss at the trash can on the corner that reached out and tried to grab your beer.

Anyone who does it different is obviously not using the proper synthetic/weight of oil and is going to ruin their bike anyway. :joke:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I use the side stand. Only problem I've encountered with this method is once the bike is off, it's easy to forget the key. I have had several occasions where I walk back outside and find my bike with light shining, screaming, "Somebody please steal me... My owner is a bonehead!" :redfaced:

·
Registered
721 Posts
MSF say's kill switch for saftey reasons... Not all machines have the kick stand kill, and they do not want you to let go of the clutch : )

I use the stand to kill it most often.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Scrogg said:
Shut-down procedure;

Park sideways across 2 parking spaces making sure there is room in front of you.
Run back out and try to remember which bike is yours. (It's the one with the lights still on dumb-a$$)
Hang a six-pack on each side of the handlebars with the now available handle on the six-pack.
Cuss at the trash can on the corner that reached out and tried to grab your beer.

Anyone who does it different is obviously not using the proper synthetic/weight of oil and is going to ruin their bike anyway. :joke:
:a20:

G

·
I have this theory that the reason so many people have trouble with the contacts in their kill switch and have to replace them is because they never use it. So for me its the kill switch first, kickstand down, key off, get off bike.

·
Registered
287 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
I have this theory that the reason so many people have trouble with the contacts in their kill switch and have to replace them is because they never use it. So for me its the kill switch first, kickstand down, key off, get off bike.
That is how I do it every time. Seems to be the easiest and most practicle. :doorag:

·
Registered
696 Posts
to quote red1952 "I always use the kill switch, get her on the stand, and then reach for the key."... me 2... this way the fan runs a little longer... forgetting to turn off the key is no excuse.... we don't get to forget anything .. these are motorcycles.... they don't ride themselves....my 2 cents worth...mjm

·
Registered
117 Posts
Scrogg said:
Shut-down procedure;

Anyone who does it different is obviously not using the proper synthetic/weight of oil and is going to ruin their bike anyway. :joke:
You have got to be the smartest man alive!!! All men should bow in your presence!! :beer3:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts