M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my line of work I get alot of people asking me "WHATS THE BEST OIL" for my bike...
I usually reccomend royal purple or amsoil because that's all you see at the race track but in reality Ive never done any physical tests on oil or done the leat bit of research other than what the companies tell you to sell their product.

So if you have any idea what the absolute best oil
and best filter are

Post it up

also, best weight for cruiser, sport bike, touring, etc...

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I've been using Suzuki 20W-50 petroleum oil in mine since new in 06.

Alls good here.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Amsoil

In my line of work I get alot of people asking me "WHATS THE BEST OIL" for my bike...
I usually reccomend royal purple or amsoil because that's all you see at the race track but in reality Ive never done any physical tests on oil or done the leat bit of research other than what the companies tell you to sell their product.

So if you have any idea what the absolute best oil
and best filter are

Post it up

also, best weight for cruiser, sport bike, touring, etc...
I use Amsoil 10w40 in everything I ride/drive. I use WIX filters or Amsoil microfiber if available for the application.

I change oil once a year unless I go over 12K on a bike or 25K in a car.

Tracy

·
Registered
434 Posts
OIl OIL OIL

I recenty changed my oil for the first time and decided to try the MOBIL 1 oils for Vtwins 20W-50 Synthetic and the bike runs better and shifts better and no pucking. LOL :D:eek:

It runs better, but that may have something to do with the change in the dirty gas filter also. LOL

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
This is a debate that has been going on for decades and will never be really settled. I use Mobil 1 4T 10w40. I do not have to have it sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I just go to my local WallMart or auto store and pick up 4 fresh quarts.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There are as many opinions about oil as there are brands of oil. The brands that market at the track do so to sell oil. Period. just because they are there does not mean they are better, its just where they choose to market it. It does not mean they are worse, either. Just use an oil that is rated for wet clutch motorcycles and you should be fine. Bear in mind guys, when you change from 10-40 to 10-50 you will notice more of a difference than you will changing brands. Viscosity changes the "looseness" in bearings and such. That said, I do not believe there is a BEST.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will be using Motul

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I either use Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, both synthetics. I usually run the Amsoil in the colder months and the Mobil 1 in warmer months, but since it's water cooled it probably doesn't matter. The shifting seems to improve with the 20w-50.

Changed to synthetics at 600 miles and now have over 21,500 miles on it with no problems. Not clutch chatter, no slipping, and shifts smooth.

G

·
I either use Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, both synthetics. I usually run the Amsoil in the colder months and the Mobil 1 in warmer months, but since it's water cooled it probably doesn't matter. The shifting seems to improve with the 20w-50.

Changed to synthetics at 600 miles and now have over 21,500 miles on it with no problems. Not clutch chatter, no slipping, and shifts smooth.
As hot as this summer turned out to be, it gave the 10w40 a workout. Now that's it's cooler out, been shifting like a dream. Think I am gonna go with 20w50 next summer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I switched out to Mobil 1 20W50 the beginning of the summer and I have a lot worse clutch problems now. I am not saying Mobil 1 caused it at all. I changing to synthetic is not the cure all as some would have you think. I believe the clutch problem is with defective clutch parts from the factory so above when I see testamonials about I use a certain oil and I don't have clutch shutter I don't believe it makes a difference.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use Amsoil

They have Car and Motorcycle oils.

The car oil will make your clutch slip.
The motorcycle oil will not.

They also have 2 formulas for motorcycles
Regular and air cooled

Use the regular motorcycle oil and you can double the mileage between oil changes.
I have 6,000 miles on my oil and it is still clear.
Will change it this winter.

Clutch never slips!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I use Amsoil 10w40 in everything I ride/drive. I use WIX filters or Amsoil microfiber if available for the application.

I change oil once a year unless I go over 12K on a bike or 25K in a car.

Tracy
:eek: You dont change your oil unless you hit 12k (12,000) miles on your bike or 25k (25,000) miles on your car? :eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
My Amsoil dealer says Amsoil recommends 8,000 miles max.

Most people I know go around 6,000, which is twice what is recommended for dino oil.

Changing your filter half way will extend your oils life quite a lot.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quaker state natural oil for me. I hate the synthetic crap, does nothing for the engine and it has adverse effects on the trans and lower end. Change it regularly and only use dino oil....hey lets not let those t rexes die in vain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts