M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Vstream touring model.

I bent the lower brackets in to drop the front of the screen down and raise the top. I also fitted a draft seal foam at the bottom of the screen to seal the gap between the screen and headlight cowl.

I found that this did lift the air flow but I was still getting annoying air buffeting at the top of my helmet. I am 5,11" tall.

So I cut the screen right down.

Now the bike is so nice to ride all wind blast has been eliminated from my chest allowing me to sit comfortably at 85 miles per hour. Yet my helmet is in clean air and does not get buffeted around.

The screen also looks awesome and sporty.

I am very happy with the result.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So you cut the curved lip at the top of the windscreen? Do you think that had more to do with reducing the buffeting than the foam?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I believe that the curved lip at the top was lifting the air just high enough to smack me in the forehead, making it difficult to keep my head steady at anything over 30mph.

Now the air flow hits me at collar bone level, which is great because its not high enough to lift up into the bottom of my helmet and "blow" my helmet off my head. Or cause any buffeting on my helmet whatsoever.

But the drag is greatly reduced on my torso making the ride so much more comfortable. Before at 70mph it was hard to hold on for long distances now I sit at 85mph and cruise comfortably. My riders backrest has also made the ride that much better too.

In the centre bottom of the screen where the screen curves up I did not completely seal this area so there is about and 1" and 1/2 gap. I think this serves two purposes. 1. To let water easily drain out. 2. To stop a build up of a high pressure area of air, thus preventing the airflow over the top of the screen to be sucked down. I am not 100% sure of my science here but I do know the bike is so nice to ride now and I am stoked with the result.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Cutt

How did you cut plastic or glass? Hacksaw? Bandsaw?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

I took it to the local glass retailer he charged me $20 and it took him about 15min.

Then I used a little bit of 800 wet and dry to smooth the cut, took about another 15min.Job done.

I know I have said this before and I dont want to harp on about it. But here goes...I love riding my M90 it is a true pleasure as a matter of fact there is just about nothing I would want want to ride more....

Although I do have a bit of thing for Liz Hurly. :bdh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts