M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After debaffeling my 109 I bought 2 Edelbrock air filter assemblies ($32) and modified them making my own version of Chuck and Craigs cold air intake along with uploading Lamonsters PCIII map into my Power Commander and WoW!!!!!!!!!!! The HP gain is amazing according to my butt-dyno. Smokin....  :doorag:
This bike in combination with all you fellow 109ers and your awesome ideas amaze me more everyday. This has to be the most fun bike I have ever owned.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
i been thinkin about doin the same thing....what can you tell us about how the eldebrock air filter mod went and pics please...

also are there k&n's that will fit this..?

thanks
tc

G

·
I am going to try those on my bike.  I was in Pep Boys yesterday and they had another brand (I think it was Holley) but it appeared to be identical.  It has a foam filter material which is probably about 3/8 inch thick.

I am just waiting til I can get another set of the backplates so I can send them off to Chuck.  Of course I will have to wait to get my bike back also.

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
yes I thought I'd go that way too but had an Epiphany in the middle of the night ....I'm not showing anyone this one till it's on the bike and checked out though.That way I'm not chiming in after the fact. Like on the edelbrock air cleaner!!!!!
Not sure if thats intended towards me but if it is then I don't know why.

And just on another slightly different subject. I have tried to be as open as I can about the stuff I am doing or have done. In the course of my day I don't have a lot of spare time to do the more labor intensive stuff so I get friends to help when I can or I will pay a well qualified shop to do it if its above my/our collective skill level.

The whole purpose of what I and Lamont try to do is make all of this stuff as open as possible to everyone so that they can take anything we have done and run with it. I have never claimed to be an innovator but I think I know what direction to head in and have enough of a clue on what I would like to try.

So if anything that was on my mod list has upset someone because they think I am copying them then let me know and I will delete it from the list and not do it.

Knowledge can be power but if you don't share the knowledge then whats the point.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TexasCruzer said:
i been thinkin about doin the same thing....what can you tell us about how the eldebrock air filter mod went and pics please...

also are there k&n's that will fit this..?

thanks
tc
This is a fairly simple mod wih the right tools. The entire process took me about 1.5 hours. I must say I was so excited to actually do he mod I forgot to take pix however they would have looked very similar to Chuck's pix.

First: I removed the stock air cleaners and removed the chrome jelly-beans from the back plate.

Next I took a piece of plain printer paper, laid it on top of the stock back plate with the filter removed, and with a sharpie marker made marks where all of the bolt holes are along with an outline of the seal where the original filter was attached.

Then I took the back plate from the Edelbrock unit (part # 350-1002) and my paper template and traced all my bolt holes and the outline of the filter seal.

Make note: Do NOT cut out the three holes on the new Edelbrock back plate that were transferred from the original back plate that held the filter in place. These three holes need to be drilled out with a 1/4 inch drill bit.

The remainding five holes need to be cut out/around along with the outline of the filter seal. This is easily achieved with a plasma cutter or a grinder if a plasma is not available.

Once the excess meal is cut away mount the new Edelbrock backplate to the front of the original back plate and place the three original filter screws throught the three 1/4" holes drilled earlier and tighten down.

I suggest sealing up the original air induction hole with a piece of plexiglass cut to size with a hole saw.

Now seal the new back plate to the original back plate and the plexiglass plug with silicone.

Replace the new filter on the Edelbrock backplate bending the retainer wire to hold the filter on tight.

Remount the air cleaner assemblies on the bike and enjoy.

Currently I don't know of a K&N filter that will fit but you can bet I will be checking on it.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
HalGreenlee said:

And just on another slightly different subject. I have tried to be as open as I can about the stuff I am doing or have done. In the course of my day I don't have a lot of spare time to do the more labor intensive stuff so I get friends to help when I can or I will pay a well qualified shop to do it if its above my/our collective skill level.

The whole purpose of what I and Lamont try to do is make all of this stuff as open as possible to everyone so that they can take anything we have done and run with it. I have never claimed to be an innovator but I think I know what direction to head in and have enough of a clue on what I would like to try.

So if anything that was on my mod list has upset someone because they think I am copying them then let me know and I will delete it from the list and not do it.

Knowledge can be power but if you don't share the knowledge then whats the point.
i agree  :bigthumbsup:

thats what i like most about this site, exchanging ideas and learning new things, that others have done, which makes improvements to the 109, as per our own personal choices.....
thanks for everyone's input !! :bigthumbsup:
tc

·
Registered
414 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
yes I thought I'd go that way too but had an Epiphany in the middle of the night ....I'm not showing anyone this one till it's on the bike and checked out though.That way I'm not chiming in after the fact. Like on the edelbrock air cleaner!!!!!
You just don't want to hear someone say...Simpson's Did it...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HalGreenlee said:

And just on another slightly different subject. I have tried to be as open as I can about the stuff I am doing or have done. In the course of my day I don't have a lot of spare time to do the more labor intensive stuff so I get friends to help when I can or I will pay a well qualified shop to do it if its above my/our collective skill level.

The whole purpose of what I and Lamont try to do is make all of this stuff as open as possible to everyone so that they can take anything we have done and run with it. I have never claimed to be an innovator but I think I know what direction to head in and have enough of a clue on what I would like to try.

I have to say I thought that was one of the purposes of this board was to share knowledge and fellowship between 109 owners and potential 109 owners. I, like Hal and others was not trying to copy anyone but just trying to put some great cost effective mods to the test and be open about it by sharing my results.
If I am wrong in doing this please let me know and in the future I will keep it to myself. ::)

·
Registered
256 Posts
109ster said:
This is a fairly simple mod wih the right tools. The entire process took me about 1.5 hours. I must say I was so excited to actually do he mod I forgot to take pix however they would have looked very similar to Chuck's pix.

First: I removed the stock air cleaners and removed the chrome jelly-beans from the back plate.

Next I took a piece of plain printer paper, laid it on top of the stock back plate with the filter removed, and with a sharpie marker made marks where all of the bolt holes are along with an outline of the seal where the original filter was attached.

Then I took the back plate from the Edelbrock unit (part # 350-1002) and my paper template and traced all my bolt holes and the outline of the filter seal.

Make note: Do NOT cut out the three holes on the new Edelbrock back plate that were transferred from the original back plate that held the filter in place. These three holes need to be drilled out with a 1/4 inch drill bit.

The remainding five holes need to be cut out/around along with the outline of the filter seal. This is easily achieved with a plasma cutter or a grinder if a plasma is not available.

Once the excess meal is cut away mount the new Edelbrock backplate to the front of the original back plate and place the three original filter screws throught the three 1/4" holes drilled earlier and tighten down.

I suggest sealing up the original air induction hole with a piece of plexiglass cut to size with a hole saw.

Now seal the new back plate to the original back plate and the plexiglass plug with silicone.

Replace the new filter on the Edelbrock backplate bending the retainer wire to hold the filter on tight.

Remount the air cleaner assemblies on the bike and enjoy.

Currently I don't know of a K&N filter that will fit but you can bet I will be checking on it.

Thanks!!!
.. thank you !!Â
i appreciate your info alot..... and now... i need to get mine done too!! :D

tc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts