M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a silver 2009 M109R and love it! Last bike was a Honda Valkyrie which is also a fantastic machine in it's own right. It's time to add some Bling to my 109 so hear are my questions......1. Where is the best place to install a Stebel compact air horn. 2. Which air kit is recommended (Barrons, Ness Big Sucker, ultra air flow. 3. With the increased air flow which is best a Cobra FI2000 or the Power Commander 3. Thanks for your guidance, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
:welcome:to the forum and :congrats: on purchasing your 9:bigthumbsup:
In my opinion, the best place for the stebel horn is in the headlight. I'm sure someone will chime in for the intake question (I have not changed mine yet).
I have the PCIII and I have not had any problems with it thus far.

RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Have a silver 2009 M109R and love it! Last bike was a Honda Valkyrie which is also a fantastic machine in it's own right. It's time to add some Bling to my 109 so hear are my questions......1. Where is the best place to install a Stebel compact air horn. 2. Which air kit is recommended (Barrons, Ness Big Sucker, ultra air flow. 3. With the increased air flow which is best a Cobra FI2000 or the Power Commander 3. Thanks for your guidance, I really appreciate it!
1. I believe the best place to install the stebel is in the headlight nacelle. There is plenty of room to fit it in there and also fit a digital ballast for a HID headlight kit in case you add that in the future.

2. The bottom line on air kits is to just get more air into the engine. There are members of the board that have made their own big air kits and have done so with materials they bought at home depot for a fraction of what the barons and ness air kits cost. another option is a ducks mod. a ducks mod can be both functional and aesthetic. you can also do your own bottlefed mod. do a search and you will get more info and ideas from the posts.

3. when it comes to fuel management, you have to take into consideration that the PCIII will also require additional money for a custom tune in order to get the most out of your mods. a cobra fi1200 will do the job just as well and also save you a few bucks down the line.

i hope these suggestions help you out. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
:welcome: & :congrats:

You can either mount the Stebel behind the right side cover or in the headlight. I've had mine in both and prefer the headlight.

Pick the intake you like best, they all work about the same.

The PCIII is great for getting that last couple hp out of the engine, but you need to have it dyno tuned to get it right. The FI2000R works very well and is easy to tune, you just need to adjust it until it feels right for you.

Might want to read this too, it has a lot of great information in it.
Frequently asked questions.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Some put the stebel in the headlight and some put it behind the right side cover. mine is in the side cover.
The air intake question is wide open. I have thunder intakes as do lots of others here. If I ever have to do it again I will build my own. If you have just a little bit of mechanical ability they are very simple and way cheaper.

as far as a fuel controller, you dont really need one until you get pipes AND air intakes. I have the FI2000 right now but I'm looking into a pc3 and a dyno run.

I know the search is not that great on here but you can still learn alot from it. there is lots of info and opinions. you just have to separate the good from the bad based on what you want from your bike.

AND, welcome to the forum!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I just installed my Stebel in the headlight narcelle, perfect place for it.

As far as air kits, like most have said, find what you like the look of, or what you can afford.

If your going with just air for now, and adding pipes later, not really looking for every extra horse, get the FI2000R. Plug and play, set the pots and ride.

I'd also highly recommend a GIPro. It's an Automatic Timing Retard Eliminator (ATRE). Most bikes (including our 9's), come from the factory leaned out for emissions. The GIPro fools the ECM into thinking it is in 4th gear, giving it a neutral air/fuel mixture in all gears. Plus, thinking its in 4th, there is no speed limiter in 5th ( if that's important to you). Also comes with a gear indicator. Best ATRE on the market, bar none.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
1. Best location for Stebel install:

Stock horn location.

Sure, you make a real project of the install as you need to take off the radiator shrouds and unbolt the bottom of the radiator, but the stebel fits in the stock location no problem and you lose no space anywhere else.

2. High flow air kit differences are subjective and likely minimal. Go with the one you like the best. The air box itself limits flow more than any difference between high-flow intakes. Also, if you are not doing pipes as well, you are even less likely to see any difference between them.

3. Unless you are also changing the pipes, you should not need to do a fuel processor. If you do one, you are comparing apples and oranges. For one, skip the PCIII. The PCV fits all the same years, costs the same and has far greater abilities and options. Between the PCV and the FI2000, that depends on what you want.

The FI2000 has 3 ranges and you manually adjust fuel corrections in those three ranges.

The PCV's 'ranges' are by throttle % and RPMs, so with 5% throttle increments and 250 RPM increments over 7000 RPMs, with a separate table for each gear, you can set it for up to, well, 20x28x5=2,800 separate points of adjustment. You can set those adjustments with a premade map, having it dyno tuned, running the Autotune accessory or even manually from a PC.

Yes the PCV costs more, but you are paying for more control and more options.

So, which is best? Depends on how much control you want. If you want the most out of your bike at every level, then pay the extra for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:welcome:to the forum and :congrats: on purchasing your 9:bigthumbsup:
In my opinion, the best place for the stebel horn is in the headlight. I'm sure someone will chime in for the intake question (I have not changed mine yet).
I have the PCIII and I have not had any problems with it thus far.

RIDE SAFE
Does installing it there muffle the sound?? Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts