M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After almost 3.5 years, the ole OEM battery is getting tired and it's time to think about replacing it.

So I thought I would open up a discussion to see what is best.

I've had excellent success with Batteries Plus. I'm looking at the XTAX20CH-BS Xtreme Permaseal Battery.

What else we got to choose from out there?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hey how's it goin!

Check out the post from CBRDUDE1000 he found a very interesting battery that can last years with out recharging and doesn't get damaged if the level gets too low. I forget the brand but it was designed for the M109R, they're called Deep cycle batteries or something... I'm sure he'll chime in soon
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Del,

I bought a XTAX16-BS Xtreme Permaseal Battery at Batteries Plus for $79.99. It initially cranked the bike up a couple of times, but petered out after a few rides. It got to the point where the bike just started moaning, but wouldn't start. I took it back a month later for a refund and the rep informed me there was a 14 day return policy. So I asked about an exchange so I could possibly sell it as "new." So the rep put the battery on their diagnostic machine and it read about 200 Cold Cranking Amps (which was correct for that battery). So I'm stuck with a battery I can't use. Maybe I can put it on Craigslist to recoup a little of my money and someone with a bike that doesn't require as many amps will buy it. I purchased a Gman battery (535 CCAs the first 5 minutes) from the following website & suggestions by the group (thanks again):

http://gmanindustries.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=42

and it starts better than OEM battery. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I got a G-Man battery and love it. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: It has only been in my Beast for 10 days but it starts much better than the stock battery. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So it's looking like the ODYSSEY Battery, Model PC535, (known as the GBat) specifically for the M109R is the best contender so far.

From the wesite:
This battery has been revised, by permission, to now fit the Suzuki Boulevard M109R/C109R/M90! It's a deep cycle as well as having enormous cranking power. The PC535 produces a 535amp pulse for the first 5 seconds, giving it more than twice the cranking power of a stock battery. This Military grade battery is designed to take whatever you can throw at it.

$126

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's interesting that I have a Battery Tender Junior connected to the bike all winter and it still was lagging on cranking amps. Dead giveaway that the battery is going is the clock getting reset when it would unsuccessfully crank the engine over properly.

P.S. I think I'm going to go with a CTEK Multi US 7002 battery charger since I run Optima batteries in my trucks. This charger can recharge both types of batteries.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Yes, you have to sand off or cut off the plastic fins on the edge so it'll fit. I'm happy with this battery, no more starter stall when hot

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you have to sand off or cut off the plastic fins on the edge so it'll fit. I'm happy with this battery, no more starter stall when hot
Is that still the case? It says it has been modified to fit in the M109R. So you should not have to change anything.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Maybe you don't have to modify now. I ordered mine a couple of months ago and had to put it on my drum sander, no big deal, took about 30 seconds to make it fit. Great battery, no need to tend it, it'll hold a charge for much longer than stock

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Is that still the case? It says it has been modified to fit in the M109R. So you should not have to change anything.
The fins on mine were already sanded down. You just need to remove the rubber tray insert from the bottom, as well as the foam side pieces. It will fit very snug.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, Dave at GMan Industries called me a few minutes ago. Apparently I hadn't ordered anything from him since my C90 days. He wanted to confirm that I had ordered the proper battery. I like that he actually looked at my profile to ensure I was getting the correct battery rather than just sending it out. That's customer service right there people! :D

Anyhoo, I took the opportunity to discuss the battery and fitment to the M109R. He stated that they modify them for a snug fit in the battery box. This helps control battery swelling (which kills batteries). So under agreement with the manufacturer, they modify them and add their branding. Not a bad deal.

I enjoyed talking with the guy, whom I found rides a C109. :bigthumbsup:

New battery should be here on Monday...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Interesting, Dave at GMan Industries called me a few minutes ago. Apparently I hadn't ordered anything from him since my C90 days. He wanted to confirm that I had ordered the proper battery. I like that he actually looked at my profile to ensure I was getting the correct battery rather than just sending it out. That's customer service right there people! :D

Anyhoo, I took the opportunity to discuss the battery and fitment to the M109R. He stated that they modify them for a snug fit in the battery box. This helps control battery swelling (which kills batteries). So under agreement with the manufacturer, they modify them and add their branding. Not a bad deal.

I enjoyed talking with the guy, whom I found rides a C109. :bigthumbsup:

New battery should be here on Monday...
You won't be disappointed bro. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
All this talk about dying batteries is getting me down:'(. I have an 06 with the stock, original battery, and it is still doing fine. I know I am on borrowed time. Especially since Delmustator makes the 4th one in our N.C. circle to have to get a battery this season.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All this talk about dying batteries is getting me down:'(. I have an 06 with the stock, original battery, and it is still doing fine. I know I am on borrowed time. Especially since Delmustator makes the 4th one in our N.C. circle to have to get a battery this season.
I'm surprised mine went this long. The battery tender is probably the reason. My CBR1000 used to eat batteries for lunch. The charging system on that bike didn't BS around. It would boil a battery dry. I replaced them every spring like clockwork. Finally put a Gel AGM in and never had another issue.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts