M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a pic of a exhaust sicric did using the stock headers and shields, they were going darn near straight back instead of the top going up like a sports bike. couldnt find any how to's so here is my stab, looks like it droped the top pipe about 1.5 inches or so. Which will allow me to drop the floor boards for a better ride for the passenger. Any sugesstions on type of pipe to continuon with would be great. If i can get a couple of hours off work, Ill taake it down to the largest exhaust place here, I hear thy have everthing under the sun. Im shooting for the largest pipe to fit over the collector pipe, some type of baffel and brin it out befor the rear tire like a sideburner.

In the last three pics is where I had to modify the brakets holding the covers on.

·
Registered
643 Posts
good luck with your project

really wish the C didn't have an H pipe

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
That looks good so far. To go over the collector you need a 3" pipe, to go inside it you need a 2.5" pipe.

Here's how I had mine right before I put the Cobra's on it. The tip is a 4" x 24" chrome exhaust tip like you use on a truck. A company on ebay sells them with very close to a show finish on them. The inlet is a weld-on type, no nipple, for a 2.5" pipe. Inside the tip I used a Thrush glass pack muffler with a 2.25" inlet. The 2.25" inlet slips out the front of the chrome tip, and you just tack weld it in a couple spots to hold it in place. Then you use a 3" to 2.25" adapter to hook the 3" pipe to the 2.25" muffler. The muffler case is 3.5" so it fits easily inside the 4" chrome tip. I wrapped the muffler with regular 1/4" thick baffle wrap to insulate it from the outside and hold it in place. It stayed pretty cool, you could leave your hand on it for quite some time.

Then you have to figure out some sort of mounting bracket for the muffler, it's too much weight to just hang off the cylinder heads.

Actually that one on the bike had a custom made collector. I made a cone collector out of sheet metal to transition from the collector back to the muffler instead of using a reducer. I probably modded that setup a half dozen times. :D

And the angle is whatever you want it to be, it's only limited by how much you can tweak the shields. I had it angled up more, almost level, etc. And the tip is a slash cut, and I've even had that turned out to the side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts