M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is too much when it comes to enjoying a few beers with friends and riding your bike? I see a lot of bikes in bar parking lots and it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
any, IMO. That was another reason I quit completely back in 01'. Too many people talk all the bad trash about DUI and accidents then they want to hit a watering hole on their bike. Any IMPAIRMENT is too much and that pertains to over the counter and scrip medication too. You had better have every single wit about you when you swing a leg over one of these. I have been riding for over 34 years and it's one of the reasons I am still alive.

·
Registered
664 Posts
B.A.D.D.
I am a little opinionated on this one.... Alcohol slows your reaction time.... We have all seen how quick we need to react to crazy cagers and cell phoners..... don't drink and ride, you will get hurt or killed...

·
Registered
665 Posts
If I want a cold one,it's after the riding is done. You have to be really alert,in today's traffic

·
Registered
230 Posts
After riding for me. :doorag:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I gave up alcohol almost 6 six years ago!  It was a personal choice - one drink was always too many, and 1000 never enough  :evil:  Drinking is a matter of personal choice (Live and let Live), but if I'm asked, I always suggest against it if you're driving - especially if you're on a bike!  I do always try to remember though that "Friends do not let friends drive drunk"  :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree that anything that impairs you should be avoided when riding. People wreck on bikes all day long when they are perfectly sober, so why taunt fate and do anything that would make it easier to get into an accident?

Hope everyone is riding safe!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm actually kind of surprised its a topic that even has to be brought up.. I have a simple rule about it, If you've had even 1 beer and you're on your bike, you're not riding home anywhere near me, and if I can have my way you're going to be arriving at your home in a cab

G

·
Actually, bike riding is WAY to scary to be done sober.....and it would be socially incorrect to pass a bar with bikes parked outside and not stop and say hell-o.

J/K guys.....while there are people who could drink a 12-pack and ride all night, there are others who couldn't drink one and not be impaired.

Reguardless, the laws today won't allow either.

After years of acting ugly on bikes and in cars.....my beer drink'in is confined to my home, unless JR is driving and I have a beer or 2 with dinner out.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If I am going to be out drinking, I follow the rule of 1 drink, 1 hour...

If I am going to go out, and have 2 beers with friends, best to wait 2 hours, before getting back on the bike...

The body can process 1 drink per hour... so if you want to go out drinking and riding, just make sure to give yourself enough time to process that alcohol...

Or just grab a water, have just as much fun, and be safe doing it :)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
1 guinness if I am having a meal and will be there an hour. No meal, No beer. Never another that day.

That is my rule, but most times I have an unsweatened Iced tea. I would say 95% of meals where others are having beer I have tea.

Sledzep

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DHandyman said:
I'm actually kind of surprised its a topic that even has to be brought up.. I have a simple rule about it, If you've had even 1 beer and you're on your bike, you're not riding home anywhere near me, and if I can have my way you're going to be arriving at your home in a cab
You are right on about this but did you ever see the bike's parked in the parking lot on bike night. that is why I brought this this post up Just trying to look out for the fellow biker's. been there and done that no what I mean.

G

·
BigBen, while your rule is a fact.....
Florida has adopted a "buzz" driving deal.....and if you "smell" like any kind of alcohol.....you can still be ticketed.....and, of course, that consists of going to jail with your vehicle being imponded.

·
Registered
572 Posts
JRs DAD said:
BigBen, while your rule is a fact.....
Florida has adopted a "buzz" driving deal.....and if you "smell" like any kind of alcohol.....you can still be ticketed.....and, of course, that consists of going to jail with your vehicle being imponded.
That is great if you ask me... I would rather them be too strict, instead of letting people go who are bad to be on the road...

I practice safe drinking habits, and am very careful with them, but not too many others do...

I just wish that bars wouldn't serve people, once they see them getting a buzz... but of course they will never stop serving... all about money to them...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
steve j said:
any, IMO. That was another reason I quit completely back in 01'. Too many people talk all the bad trash about DUI and accidents then they want to hit a watering hole on their bike. Any IMPAIRMENT is too much and that pertains to over the counter and scrip medication too. You had better have every single wit about you when you swing a leg over one of these. I have been riding for over 34 years and it's one of the reasons I am still alive.
Couldn't have said it better myself :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: I can't tell tell you how many times I go to a Bike Night and see people pounding down the suds??? Anything that decreases your reaction time or more importantly your judgement when riding on two wheels is stupidity, plain and simple!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I knew two guys who owned the Honda CBX back in its heyday. One of them was at a party, drunk as can be, and even though we tried to get him to not do it, he took off on his bike. Went right down the road, it's a steep, downhill straight road that T's into another road at an even bigger hill about a quarter mile away. He had loud pipes and someone came back saying they heard his pipe sound just stop suddenly. So a few of us drove down that way and there he was in the ditch, had run his bike right into that hill at the T. Bike was in sad shape, forks bent nearly ninety degrees. He is just fine, nothing wrong at all, not so much as a busted lip. We tried to get him to go to the hospital, he wouldn't do it. Instead he came back to the party, got a guy with a pick up and a few others to help him go get the CBX and bring it back. Then went right on drinking!

We all stayed there for the night and next morning he says to some of us as we stood there looking at his CBX, "Damn, that sucks about my bike. But it was a good thing I was drunk and loose or I'd have been killed!" I was just astounded that anyone could be that stupid. He did not own a helmet.

BigBen will understand what I'm saying about this next guy. His idea of fun was to take his CBX up on the 610 Loop in Houston and race around all the traffic. The guy rode it much of the time with just tennis shoes, shorts and a t-shirt. Said it was too hot in Houston for anything else. He did not own a helmet. Said a helmet would take his edge off and that he was too good to go down.

Ben, you know as well as myself, you can be a perfect driver/rider and there will still be at least a half dozen people just waiting to kill you on the Loop. The guy was just kidding himself. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never understand how some folks think.

LG :dontknow:

·
Registered
572 Posts
LionsGate said:
BigBen will understand what I'm saying about this next guy. His idea of fun was to take his CBX up on the 610 Loop in Houston and race around all the traffic. The guy rode it much of the time with just tennis shoes, shorts and a t-shirt. Said it was too hot in Houston for anything else. He did not own a helmet. Said a helmet would take his edge off and that he was too good to go down.

Ben, you know as well as myself, you can be a perfect driver/rider and there will still be at least a half dozen people just waiting to kill you on the Loop. The guy was just kidding himself. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never understand how some folks think.
I know very well how much trouble can be caused, no matter how good of a rider you are... have had two cagers try and take me out... both times been nothing I could do to really avoid things...

As far as going around the 610 loop with NO HELMET... is this guy like totally mentally challenged or something? Even in my TRUCK, huge quad cab with TONS of steel around me, I still hate driving the 610 loop as people are such IDIOTS here in Houston...

Riding a bike, with no helmet... weaving in and out of traffic... this guy must love taking chances... being THAT lucky, he should go to Vegas and win us all some money...

LOL :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts