M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my batterys dead opened the top (it said sealed battery do not remove!)

anyways its completly dry in the cells is that correct or do i need a new one!

thanks!

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
yup new battery time. i am just curious where all that acid went? Do you see it in the battery box bottom? If it is on the swingarm / frame I would think it needs to be washed off to prevent it eating up the paint and such.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You'll probably need a new one however I have been able to get more life by filling with distilled water and putting it on a battery tender.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
For sure you need a new battery. Advance Auto has one for the M109R with some crazy amount of Cold Cranking Amps. It cost approximately $85.00, and it is ready to go right out of the box.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
yup new battery time. i am just curious where all that acid went? Do you see it in the battery box bottom? If it is on the swingarm / frame I would think it needs to be washed off to prevent it eating up the paint and such.
I think they are shipped that way, which makes me also think they may be a saturated glass mat type battery. I checked mine about a year ago and there was no acid above the plates, so I made the mistake of topping it off with acid left over from another battery. A couple weeks later I was cleaning the bike and noticed a white residue on top of the swingarm. Yup, it was leaking out. The box is plastic but has a drain hole in the bottom right above the swingarm. I cleaned the acid off and neutralized it with some baking soda then sprayed it with some black paint. I had to do that again in a few weeks when more came out. Eventually it stopped.

Mine was still working OK but seemed to be getting weaker, so I replaced it with one of the Gman Odyssey batteries before the weather got cold. So far it's working great.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I think they are shipped that way, which makes me also think they may be a saturated glass mat type battery. I checked mine about a year ago and there was no acid above the plates, so I made the mistake of topping it off with acid left over from another battery. A couple weeks later I was cleaning the bike and noticed a white residue on top of the swingarm. Yup, it was leaking out. The box is plastic but has a drain hole in the bottom right above the swingarm. I cleaned the acid off and neutralized it with some baking soda then sprayed it with some black paint. I had to do that again in a few weeks when more came out. Eventually it stopped.

Mine was still working OK but seemed to be getting weaker, so I replaced it with one of the Gman Odyssey batteries before the weather got cold. So far it's working great.
Yeah when I order them online they are shiped dry, with 6 of those cute lil plastic vials LOL

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
Yeah when I order them online they are shipped dry, with 6 of those cute lil plastic vials LOL
A regular wet cell battery is shipped dry, but these saturated mat batteries have fluid in them but you can't see it. The Odyssey batteries are like that, which is why you can install them any way you want except upside down.

The last couple bike batteries I've bought have had the fluid in a large container with a hose attached. They usually have enough fluid to do the largest batteries so I end up with spare acid on all the ones I've had. Walmart batteries I know are like that.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
A regular wet cell battery is shipped dry, but these saturated mat batteries have fluid in them but you can't see it. The Odyssey batteries are like that, which is why you can install them any way you want except upside down.

The last couple bike batteries I've bought have had the fluid in a large container with a hose attached. They usually have enough fluid to do the largest batteries so I end up with spare acid on all the ones I've had. Walmart batteries I know are like that.
I will have to look into them Mike, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,, Mine is feelin a lil weak, 11,000 miles on the battery, I am assuming, It was in the bike when I bought it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I will have to look into them Mike, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,, Mine is feelin a lil weak, 11,000 miles on the battery, I am assuming, It was in the bike when I bought it.
hook up a multi meter to the battery as you fire the bike up...If it reads below 10 volts DC while the starter is spinning then whip out the cheque book...(basically load testing) .BTW Allied battery on 4th and Lucille Seattle sells lead acid batteries for 30 bucks..If I remember correctly the last one I bought from there was a 7 amp/HR

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
hook up a multi meter to the battery as you fire the bike up...If it reads below 10 volts DC while the starter is spinning then whip out the cheque book...(basically load testing) .BTW Allied battery on 4th and Lucille Seattle sells lead acid batteries for 30 bucks..If I remember correctly the last one I bought from there was a 7 amp/HR
Hi Neighbor!!!! I will do that, Thanks, I don't want to be stranded this winter with a dead player battery, that's for sure. Snow movin in bud!!!!!!!!!!!! get out the warm closes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts