M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 4 mods in my bike that need to be connected to the positive side of the battery. I am at the absolute limit of how far I can get the screw to attach to the little square bolt on the other side.

Does anyone have a longer screw or anything? Is it a standard size I can pick up from a hardware store? Is there another solution I haven't thought of?

Thanks everybody :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Rico, I think that is just a standard 6mm bolt, but they usually have a coating on them so they don't corrode as much.

I wouldn't keep stacking items on the battery though. Get a power plate, which you can pick up at most automotive places. It lets you run one wire to the battery, then you connect your accessories to the power plate. You can slso get them that have individual blade type fuses for each connection. I got a 4 outlet port at Pep Boys for around $10.

Here's what the one DLP sells looks like:

And the link to it:
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8183&str=290

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a great suggestion. I wonder if I can find something like that in my city, usually I try find stuff like that at Canadian Tire but don't always have luck.

Thanks for the suggestion! 8)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Get a fuze block at a local auto parts store.

Run one heavy wire from the battery to the block and that will provide fused power to everything you need. They usually come in 6-10 connections/fuse slots, which should be plenty.

I got mine for $3 or $4 at a local Pep Boys.

Just to be sure: you are grounding everything to the bike and not to the battery, Right? Never ground accessories to the battery.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a fuze block at a local auto parts store.

Run one heavy wire from the battery to the block and that will provide fused power to everything you need. They usually come in 6-10 connections/fuse slots, which should be plenty.

I got mine for $3 or $4 at a local Pep Boys.

Just to be sure: you are grounding everything to the bike and not to the battery, Right? Never ground accessories to the battery.
Yes everything is grounded to the bike. For sure :bigthumbsup:

Just out of curiosity what would happen if I attached it to the negative side of the battery? Would that cause a fire :duck: j/k

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yes everything is grounded to the bike. For sure :bigthumbsup:

Just out of curiosity what would happen if I attached it to the negative side of the battery? Would that cause a fire :duck: j/k
No fire, but it could eventually kill your CPU and in the short term, could cause sensor problems.

DC power runs a 'loop' from your + through your bike, back your main ground wire, to the -

That happens at a particular rate or frequency that your components are built to deal with.

Where you to connect an accessory to the + and the - directly, you are introducing another separate loop that will run at its own frequency.

With 2 or more loops running at different frequencies, you get a condition called a ground loop fault.

In a car, you will hear it as a whine in your speakers that gets louder when you increase the RPMs. With no speakers on the bike, to make electronic impulses something you can detect with your senses, you will never see it.

The problem is that your sensors and CPU can and if they do not know what to do with it, they start to malfunction and can quit working as intended.

Grounding accessories to the bike instead of the - ensures that all power coming back to the battery does so in one loop at one frequency.

I learned all of this after thousands spent on a Firebird I had in my younger days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts