M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear you guys talking about the Gman odessey battery and that it doesn't quite fit the M109R battery compartment. How much trouble is it to get it installed ? Next question is can you hook a constant 10 amp charger to this or do you have to buy the constant charger they recommend for the Gman Odessey? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I hear you guys talking about the Gman odessey battery and that it doesn't quite fit the M109R battery compartment. How much trouble is it to get it installed ? Next question is can you hook a constant 10 amp charger to this or do you have to buy the constant charger they recommend for the Gman Odessey? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
if you buy it from gman the fins are already cut off and it fits fine, i think they recommend a special charger though, if you buy one from somewhere else its not hard to cut the fins off yourself, i cut mine off in about 20 minutes with a hacksaw.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
if you buy it from gman the fins are already cut off and it fits fine, i think they recommend a special charger though, if you buy one from somewhere else its not hard to cut the fins off yourself, i cut mine off in about 20 minutes with a hacksaw.
Yep, exactly correct. You need their battery tender because it has a higher amp out put when tending.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gman

Thanks guys, alway is nice to have a little insite when you purchasing something new, I have heard good things about the gman Odessy so I guess that will be in the nine after the snow melts up here in Michigan.
:doorag::doorag::doorag::doorag:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I ordered one last week. it better fit or they will be hearing from me. and it wont be pretty.

Im sure if they design a battery for the 9 it will fit though.

Will let you know how it goes.

it is Into Foreign Customs as we speak:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
what do you call fins? and whats a tender?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
what do you call fins? and whats a tender?
The battery has plast platic around it that look like fins. To fit in the 109, it is too tight for the battery compartment. You can dremel them or take a hacksaw and just cut through them. Trust me, 20 minute job and easy to do. Nothing to get worked up on. That is why most of us by from gman as the price is decent, but it is ready to drop in.

The tender is what is referred to as a battery tender. You plug it in, and it will turn on and off while attached to the battery. It basically turns on when it detects the battery voltage drop, and turns off when it is full.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
The battery has plast platic around it that look like fins. To fit in the 109, it is too tight for the battery compartment. You can dremel them or take a hacksaw and just cut through them. Trust me, 20 minute job and easy to do. Nothing to get worked up on. That is why most of us by from gman as the price is decent, but it is ready to drop in.

The tender is what is referred to as a battery tender. You plug it in, and it will turn on and off while attached to the battery. It basically turns on when it detects the battery voltage drop, and turns off when it is full.
so do you really need the tender thingamabob? or is it only for you guys that dont ride when it is freezing over there?

really cant see the point in one when the life span says 5 years and the stanard battery in the 9 gave me 4 years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got a GMan battery for mine and it fits right in after you remove the stick-on foam side pads and bottom pad from the battery box. And IIRC, their battery tender puts out a different amperage than the others. I will be purchasing one in the near future (I just don't get to ride every week and, like my car, will put the tender on if it sets for more than 3 weeks).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buy the right battery tender

I just got a GMan battery for mine and it fits right in after you remove the stick-on foam side pads and bottom pad from the battery box. And IIRC, their battery tender puts out a different amperage than the others. I will be purchasing one in the near future (I just don't get to ride every week and, like my car, will put the tender on if it sets for more than 3 weeks).
Make Sure you have the tender for the Gman battery as a normal tender doesn't have enough power and will ruin the Gman odessey battery

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
They recommend charging it with at least a 6 amp charger, so if you have one for your car you can use that. It's what I use on mine. The battery is supposed to hold a charge for something like 2 years, so I didn't see the need to buy a special tender for it.

Remember to take that plastic tray out of the bottom of the battery box too. Once you drop the battery in it's squeaky tight, so you don't want to have to pull it out more than necessary.

The thing about the Gman battery is they still give the 2 year warranty on it. If you were to buy the regular Odyssey battery and modify it to fit yourself, it would probably void the warranty.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
here is the answer for anyone else wondering if you have to cut stuff off to make it fit.

straight from Gman Himself:bigthumbsup:

Scott-
When you buy them from us they are ready to drop in. if you buy them elsewhere they are not cut and ready to install.
This is why we call them the GBat as we have made the appropriate changes and they are no longer a std PC535.
Enjoy,

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Charge!

Like Zoom said, why mess around with a tender, it stays charged all winter by itself. Worse case, charge it with a regular charger in the spring.
I've checked the one in my Seadoo after 6 months, it's still fully charged!
A low voltage tender will just screw it up by short charging it if you discharged it somehow.
I know it's hard to believe these Odyssey batteries are so good, but they certainly are in my experience.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts

if you got one and you cut the fins, does that mean you got the wrong battery? cause it says they have been modified to drop straight in.

and apparantly these batteries for the 9 have more cranking amps.

or is that the only differance being the fins modified?:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
if you got one and you cut the fins, does that mean you got the wrong battery? cause it says they have been modified to drop straight in.

and apparantly these batteries for the 9 have more cranking amps.

or is that the only differance being the fins modified?:dontknow:
They start off with a standard PC535 Odyssey battery and modify it by cutting the outside fins off so it fits correctly. If you look on Gman's website they offer the same battery for other bikes, with the difference being the amount they have to trim it to fit. Other than that, it's a standard Odyssey battery. More cranking amps than the stock battery, a lot longer shelf time (you can let it sit for a year and it holds a charge) and you can install it in any position other than upside down. These are totally sealed and not the same type of battery the bike came with. They are a military grade battery.

Here's more info on it. Ignore the amps they reference as that is for their bigger batteries, but it tells why they are so good.
http://odysseybatteries.com/

are there any issues with the stock charging systerm on the 9 keeping it charged ?
None at all. The charging system only replaces what is being used. If anything it works a little less hard since the batter loses less energy between charges.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
They start off with a standard PC535 Odyssey battery and modify it by cutting the outside fins off so it fits correctly. If you look on Gman's website they offer the same battery for other bikes, with the difference being the amount they have to trim it to fit. Other than that, it's a standard Odyssey battery. More cranking amps than the stock battery, a lot longer shelf time (you can let it sit for a year and it holds a charge) and you can install it in any position other than upside down. These are totally sealed and not the same type of battery the bike came with. They are a military grade battery.

Here's more info on it. Ignore the amps they reference as that is for their bigger batteries, but it tells why they are so good.
http://odysseybatteries.com/

None at all. The charging system only replaces what is being used. If anything it works a little less hard since the batter loses less energy between charges.
WOW Mike you want a sales job for gman??? LOL I will tell him when I ride with him Saturday . Gonna be a cool one........

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
WOW Mike you want a sales job for gman??? LOL I will tell him when I ride with him Saturday . Gonna be a cool one........
That would be a long way to move for a job. :eek:

I seldom buy anything without doing research on it, and I liked what I saw in the Odyssey battery. So maybe I should be a sales person for them. I like what Gman does with the modifications and still keeping the warranty. Plus I got mine on sale for not much more than the stock battery would have cost. :D

It's going to be in the 50's Friday and Saturday. Going to ride both days if I can beat the showers on Saturday. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
mine turned up today:bigthumbsup: farkin cranks over real quick now:bigthumbsup:
....and tell me. Did it install without alterations?

BTW: You might want to consider installing your battery upside down since you are already upside down. Wouldn't logic state that would ultimately make your the battery right side up?

I'm just saying..........:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts