M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 starts right up when cold however, when hot it takes a lot longer sounds sluggish when trying to start. Any idea of what this could be?

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
You should have the battery tested to spec, but these bug jugs sometimes have a tough time starting when warmed up. It all depends on the position of the pistons.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
You should have the battery tested to spec, but these bug jugs sometimes have a tough time starting when warmed up. It all depends on the position of the pistons.
Hot starter and yes "BUG JUGS" are hard to turn over when hot........... Normal for the 9, Sad to say,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
The 109 has a compression release built into the cams, so being hot shouldn't affect the starting that much as far as the engine goes. I'd guess the starter is getting hot, and probably the battery is a little weak. Mine did it too until I replaced the battery and you can still feel that it hesitates a little when hot.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
The 109 has a compression release built into the cams, so being hot shouldn't affect the starting that much as far as the engine goes. I'd guess the starter is getting hot, and probably the battery is a little weak. Mine did it too until I replaced the battery and you can still feel that it hesitates a little when hot.
I wonder if that compression release works all the time Mike? Because it sure feels like it don't when it cranks once, then hits a wall,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 9 starts right up when cold however, when hot it takes a lot longer sounds sluggish when trying to start. Any idea of what this could be?
Thanks Guys,

I'll replace the battery and see if it helps. The bikes an 07 and it's the original battery.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
I wonder if that compression release works all the time Mike? Because it sure feels like it don't when it cranks once, then hits a wall,
It works all the time. It's a centrifugal unit, so it activates when the bike is below a certain rpm. At low cranking speed it holds an exhaust valve open on each cylinder, then as it starts cranking it disengages and lets the valves close. So the engine has to crank it fast enough to get up to a speed where it disengages to allow it to start.

I'm not sure how it all works, because before I changed the battery mine would crank really slow on cold mornings but still started OK. Maybe it can get enough compression even with the valve partially open to still fire the engine. :dontknow:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
It works all the time. It's a centrifugal unit, so it activates when the bike is below a certain rpm. At low cranking speed it holds an exhaust valve open on each cylinder, then as it starts cranking it disengages and lets the valves close. So the engine has to crank it fast enough to get up to a speed where it disengages to allow it to start.

I'm not sure how it all works, because before I changed the battery mine would crank really slow on cold mornings but still started OK. Maybe it can get enough compression even with the valve partially open to still fire the engine. :dontknow:
Thanks Mike, Just on mine it sure feels like the battery is ok and it cranks fast to where it hits the wall and I can feel it, LOL, OH well, it starts, thats a good thing. I need to get Gman my dented tank, so i will get one of his mega cranker batteries when I take the tank down, Piece of mind thing,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts