M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got about 10,000 miles out my Barnnett clutch cable, now it is breaking at the lever just as my stock cable did at about 10,000 miles too
ordered two and will send the damage one in for warranty repair
One showed up today, but I notice that the cable inside The housing is about 1/2 inch shorter than the old one
anyway; installed it and had to let all the adjustment out from both sides and it is still tight.
The transmission however feel like it is Shifting much better... will put it to the test when I ride it to work tomorrow
got to let the lever way out to engage the clutch, but it is shifting much better than it did.. .. will keep both hands and legs cross

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
Listan, take a close look at the new cable and make sure it's centered in the slot in the lever. I noticed on mine that there is a small bump on one end of the barrel on the lever end, and depending on which way that bump is placed it can throw the cable off center. Mine will be off enough that it rubs the slot in the clutch perch when you pull it if it's installed the wrong way. I don't recall if the bump went up or down, and maybe not all of them have it. I keep mine greased good and it's not got about 15,000 miles on it and still looks well attached. And it's not the newest version, I think it may be either the original or the second version and they are up to about the 4th one now.

I also don't use my clutch all the time. Usually when upshifting into 4th or 5th I just let off the throttle a little and toe it in.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I still got my stocker, mounted as factory provided. 14,000 miles and counting. No signs of wear or abrasion on either end.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all seems well with the cable setup
ride it today and gear change was very good
the only thing I got to get use-to is having to almost have the lever all the way out before the clutch will engage
took a micrometer to the lever and its on the money - 14mm free play
the specs call for 10-15 mm free play
just got to get use to it

the cable is smooth and the clutch feel pretty good too
thing there is is still a problem with my transmission... the damage has been done over the last 20,000 miles
got to do the 2nd. gear under-cut some day soon as that problem will not go away

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I got about 3500 miles off my stock cable when it broke at the lever. I saw on the how-to clutch cable install the lower adjustment bracket (behind the engine cover) that the cable needed to be mounted about half way up. I did it just as it said to, even with about 10-15 mm of lever play & I had to let my clutch almost all the way out before it engaged. After several adjustments I had to place the lower adjustment all the way up as high as it would go & adjust the lever to ALOT of play (about 2 quarters worth of space between the lever & the housing). Now the clutch engages really well & very responsive & I don't have to let the clutch lever all the way out. I really don't know if that's right or not :dontknow: but it works for me! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My Barnett lasted about 7-8K miles, hopefully the one they send me lasts longer. But when I installed a stock clutch I did the 2 quarters adjustment and it felt like the clutch wouldn't reengage at all until I had returned the lever all the way forward. But I did notice with it this way that when I shifted into second gear (bike was barely even warm) it clicked in like a sport bike with the best feel out of any second gear shift on my 9. I think that having the clutch adjusted like that put less stress on the tranny and allowed to engage so smoothly. But I could not ride with the clutch like that, so I gave it another 2 turns of slack to almost 3 quarters and it is great now, good clutch takeup and very good feel.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
If you need more, take a small pipe cutter and cut the end of the chromed section off a little. I think it's chromed brass, but even if it's steel a pipe cutter will trim it off. Once you get it cut, slice it apart with a Dremel.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think after yesterdays ride ,I may be adapting to the new feel
the addition spear cable came yesterday, and its the same as the one they sent Wednesday
if send the broken cable in for warranty, they will repair or replace it... that will give me 2 spears

last weekend was a very nice time to ride and I was stock at home for a broken clutch able. . . never again :pray:

Just got to ride... this is South East Florida with lots of place and event to ride on to :drool:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i just put on my new barnett on and am still not satisfied with the feel of engagement. i justed it but it still feels like it engages way to far off the grip, the lever is almost all the way out when it engages....

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
:dontknow: No matter how many post I read, I still dont get the whole 2 quarter thing. :-\

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
:dontknow: No matter how many post I read, I still dont get the whole 2 quarter thing. :-\
What don't you get? It is the gap on there lever side to know where you should be adjusted to. And no you can not substitute it for a fifty cent piece, 10 Nichols or fifty Pennies. :joke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.