M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, it looks like it snapped right at the lever. I was just pulling in to work. Now, how do I get myself home? Ideas welcomed. (30 mile commute)

EDIT: I forgot, I have AAA with RV, so I am getting a tow. Now I need to know how to get Barnett to replace this for me.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I drove a '55 Merc around for weeks with the clutch always engaged...started out in 1st and shifted as I let off the gas...did the same thing slowing down and shut the motor off at stop lights. Luckily it was a heavy duty all synchro three speed. I would expect I could muster the nine home the same way...but don't do it for too many weeks .....my starter bolts fell out :confused:
I think calling AAA is the smart way to go :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
OK, it looks like it snapped right at the lever. I was just pulling in to work. Now, how do I get myself home? Ideas welcomed. (30 mile commute)

EDIT: I forgot, I have AAA with RV, so I am getting a tow. Now I need to know how to get Barnett to replace this for me.
GET IT TOWED BACK. NOT WORTH F#$%#$KIN UP THE TRANS OVER A TOW YOUR COVERED FOR:bigthumbsup:

·
Administrator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got home thanks to AAA. The frigging Barnett "3rd generation" cable did not last even 1 season.

Oh, and

1) It was routed properly (Outside the motor mount, no bindiing)
2) Correct freeplay (2 quarters at the lever end)
3) Lubed at both ends

It looks as if the barrel pulled off.

·
Administrator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, that was the information I needed! :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
RT.on bro. It was about a week or so to get it back.They didnt ask any Questions,They just said to put attention cable dept.on the box.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine broke 125mi from home, My AAA aint covering a tow over that distance!! I found a gas station on a hill side 6 miles from the hotel we pulled out of, I filled up and told mama "Hold on baby we aint stopin fer nuthin!! ". Made it the whole way, 125 miles, through numerous small towns without putin a foot down until i pulled in the driveway. Had to get a lil creative a couple times by makin a right turn then a U-turn to execute what would have normaly been a left turn.

Okie9er

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is going on with the clutch cables on these bikes? I had the same thing happen last weekend with my bike using the stock cable. The barrel snapped off at the handle. This is on a 07 with only 4600 miles on it. I am not surprised that a stock cable would break, but the upgraded aftermarket cable too??? Is there an alternative to the stock or the Barnett cable that is more durable?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just throwing a thought out there. I have always noticed on the 9 and maybe others have as well, if you are riding along and take the slack out of the lever and accelerate, it will pull the lever back to rest position. The action of the clutch is pulling the cable is essence. If there is not enough free play the clutch is pulling hard on the cable and there is no play...........the cable will break. Any body support this idea?
I can see where if it is adjusted too tight it could eventually stretch the end of the cable to where the barrel pulls off. With mine, I had plenty of slack at the handle prior to this. The odd thing is, when I was a kid, my step dad, brother and I would find old dirt bikes in barns and such and would get them running so that we could beat the crap out of them. They all had cable actuated clutches and I don't ever remember having to replace a cable. If a bike can sit neglected in a barn for 10-15 years with no cable problems, why can't our late model, low mileage garage queens do the same?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just throwing a thought out there. I have always noticed on the 9 and maybe others have as well, if you are riding along and take the slack out of the lever and accelerate, it will pull the lever back to rest position. The action of the clutch is pulling the cable is essence. If there is not enough free play the clutch is pulling hard on the cable and there is no play...........the cable will break. Any body support this idea?
LOL so I am not imagining things. I have noticed that. I have mine adjusted as lose at it can and still work. I have to hold the lever all the way in when stopped, I let it out 1/4" and I am moving LOL

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
What I am proposing is the cable is adjusted to tight and the torque tightens up and snap no cable end.
It's actually worse then that...our motorcycles need excess slack in the cable at the handle end because not only will it strain the cable but on acceleration it will actually disengage the clutch and slip under load. This is all as a result of a poorly designed cable and linkage system and the only motorcycle I have ever owned that could do this....but I still love the bike and it works ok with two to three quarters slack at the handle end.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Seem to be getting way more mileage out of the stock unit than what you guys are getting from the barnett cable.

Are there alternate cable suppliers? (good ones)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Seem to be getting way more mileage out of the stock unit than what you guys are getting from the barnett cable.

Are there alternate cable suppliers? (good ones)
I have over 18k on my stock cable and I have had a spare for over 10,000 miles sitting in my tool chest in the barn...I think in most cases properly keeping it lubed and adjusted and it will last about like any other cable but in my travels I have seen a lot of nine owners with with little or no slack and they did end up with cable and/or clutch replacements before 10,000 miles. Think of it like your wife or girlfriend...you may not have to play with it every day, but you at least have to pay attention to it. :D

·
Administrator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Barnett is on the ball. Here's what they sent me this morning:

Sorry to hear about your cable. We try to repair cables the same day and return them. Please put your return information inside the package. Just send the cable to:

Barnett Tool & Eng.
2238 Palma Drive
Ventura, CA 93003
Attn: Cable Dept.

Another company with great customer service!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
my stocker just broke yesterday........ 14,000 miles, I just put a new stocker on... Thanks GIDDYUP (Mike)!! :bigthumbsup: Hope your back on the road soon Pete!

·
Administrator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am back on the road. The stock cable was back on the following day. It just looks funky routed under the triple-clamp, but works fine.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Put the stock one back on, adjust it properly and fuggetaboutit. I just checked mine yesterday and it is fine on both ends. Lubed it, re-adjusted it from the bottom, lubed up the lever, ready to go again.

15,000 miles on the stock cable so far in the stock routing position.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try this

About 2 years ago my stock cable let go about 100 miles from home
used a small vise grip clamped to the broken end of the cable
made it all the way home with no problems

1 - 20 of 31 Posts