M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations as to whether I should use Barnett again or not.

Riding with a friend today and at a stop light I said to him that my clutch felt funny, it felt ratchety when I pulled in the clutch. As we headed out of town the cable let loose shifting into 2nd gear. :edit:

Upon inspection it looks like the cable pulled right out of the barrel at the lever. This cable is less than one riding season old. I installed it last June. I put the 3" cable on to go with my extended risers. DLP is closed today so I can't order a new one or ask about the warranty, but it lasted less than 2500 miles. :verymad:

Of course it couldn't happen at a better time with Americade starting Monday! I do have the stock cable still, but it certainly won't go with all the chrome and stainless braided lines I have on the bike now.

I know this isn't the first instance of a Barnett coming apart at the barrel, Just wondering if anyone knows the warranty and if I should bother with another Barnett. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry i missed your middle statment.

did you lube it at all??

i lube both ends with a little oiler that i have.
Yeah, I lubed it when I installed it. It came with several packets of grease. I didn't lube it this year because it only had about a 1000 miles on it. As far as being better than stock, I dunno, the stock cable had almost 8000 miles on it when I changed it, and it was only changed to go with longer cables for the risers, not because it was broke

I hate posting this link for a good reason but is has good info,,, Seems there may have been and updat to the cable after you got yours Dale... Hope it helps

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118908&highlight=barnett
Thanks for the link Scott. I'm going to go out and take it off and see if I can figure out which version I have, but it seems to me I saw this link last year AFTER I bought mine and figured I ended up with old stock. I just hope they can get me one by mid week at the latest. I really don't want to put that old black cased cable on!!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
can you take it and your receipt to a local Barnett's dealer, if there is a local one and do a warranty swap, if they have the right length??

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate posting this link for a good reason but is has good info,,, Seems there may have been and updat to the cable after you got yours Dale... Hope it helps

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118908&highlight=barnett
Just pulled the lever off to get the barrel out Scott, it is definitely the old style cable with no nylon sleeve around it. I'll call DLP Monday. not worried about warranty so much as getting a replacement in time. If all else fails I'll put the stocker back on for now. Are you going to make it up for Americade this year??

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have one here in my shop that pulled out of the barrel at the end too.
I'm going to drill it out and put the cable throw about a 1/16, hit it with a punch and solder it.

they might have done that to them. I think i read that they were a little tight up above.

I think myself that if they pull out, its a defect.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
Barnett has been replacing the old cables without any questions, so if you get another new one you might want to send that back to them so you can have a spare.

My gen 2 cable is still going fine, but I check it often and keep my fingers crossed.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Barnett has been replacing the old cables without any questions, so if you get another new one you might want to send that back to them so you can have a spare.

My gen 2 cable is still going fine, but I check it often and keep my fingers crossed.
:agree: They have great customer service and back there products.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I've got a brand new Barnett cable that I've had for 3 years sitting on the shelf.(along with new throttle cables). Makes a good spare until the stocker gives out.

Do you get the feeling I don't trust Barnett's quality?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Barnnett has great Customer service , I had one almost break ,just befor a big ride on a saturday , I orderd one from DLP on a wendsday iut arrived Friday !!
in the Mean time i sent the Frayed one to Barnett and the Updated version arrived the Following thursday , allways good idea to have a spair avilible !no matter what Brand

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Barnnett has great Customer service , I had one almost break ,just befor a big ride on a saturday , I orderd one from DLP on a wendsday iut arrived Friday !!
in the Mean time i sent the Frayed one to Barnett and the Updated version arrived the Following thursday , allways good idea to have a spair avilible !no matter what Brand
Exactly what I did and have a brand new spare in my shop, great thinking "Old Man".......................LOL

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here it is Monday morning and I'm thinking I'll call DLP about the broken clutch cable, and order a rear tire while I'm at it.

BUT, I've been trying to get someone, anyone, to answer the phone there since 9:30am, and it's 10:20am now. I've been on eternal hold for the second time now for over 25 minutes. I hung up after the first eternal hold and redialed.

In that time I researched tires and found the 250 Dunny at Jake Wilson for $40 less than DLP, now if I can find a new clutch cable somewhere else I won't have to deal with a company that doesn't have enough staff to answer the phone. Very disappointing to be on hold for almost an hour. Actually it's bull:edit: if you ask me. :-X

Oh, wait! it's 10:25 and I have an agent on the line, hold tight and I'll be back with the details............

OK, 10:35 and agent, who is very helpful and polite, tells me that the cable doesn't have any warranty left "per-se", because I purchased it in April 09. It is over one year. But if I want to send it back to DLP, they will forward it to Barnett and see if there is anything they can do with it. "Usually", Barnett will refurbish the cable for free, ie.. repair the broken end and return it to DLP who will in turn return it to me. That is not a guaranteed that Barnett will do this, but they usually do!!! :dontknow:

So anyway, to shorten this story up, the phone call takes 1 hr and 10 minutes, I BUY another cable only after the agent checks to make sure it is the latest and greatest updated version, and bought a tire after they matched Jake Wilsons price and gave me an additional $5 off.

I have to say, it was a big let down being on hold that long. Like I said, the agent was polite and was pleasant to deal with, but someone should hear about this. :nojoke:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I dealt with Barnett directly and they were great. I just got their address and mailed my cable, and a refurbished cable was back at my door in 6 days. Here is their # 805-642-9435 so you don't have to deal with the middle man (DLP) Barnett didn't even care when I purchased the cable, she just said send it in.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I did the send it in thing with 2 of my cables, so now I have 2 spares in the garage!! Barnett is great about the replacement of broken ones!!

Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts