M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch cable broke about 35 mls from home. Less than 3000 mls on this cable and YEAH, I'm pissed off. Thank god I was able to make it through 5 traffic lights to get home without stopping.
All I could think about was trying to tell my wife to hook on to the trailer and grab the tye downs and come get me. Now ,my wife is very bike savy and would have no problem doing this. But she was not with me because she was at home studying for her masters degree. and the fact that a part that should last at least 50,000 mls gives out in less than 3000 has me livid, never again will I buy a Barnett part.

I know I'm not the first to experience this , but none the less, I'm not happy about it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
What generation Barnett are you running? Do you have pull backs and which cable length did you get? Did you lube the cable barrels? Where did it break? Did you reroute the cable? If you ship it back to them Barnett will fix it and ship it back to you.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I'm curious about the same things as Ryan. I've had mine on for close to 20,000 miles now and it's still doing fine. I do check it every week or two for fraying up a the lever end, and lube it every couple months.

Maybe some last longer because they don't get used as much. I drive little in town and seldom use the clutch once I'm out of second gear.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Lets not ask questions, no details needed, we'll just blame the cable manufacturer and call it a day lol......

90% of cable breaks are installation errors, if the cable doesn't bind or rub it won't break.
My Barnett has 25k on it and its fine, then again I inspect it every now and then, I made sure it doesn't rub or bind anywhere when I installed it.

Ryno asked all of the questions needed, might want to check into why it broke before you install another one. Your next one will last longer if you do lol.....

jazz

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the 3" longer cable, no binding, not installation error, the actual cable did not break, the end pulled off at the clutch lever, I could pull the clutch with one finger, everything was working fine as it should right up until the end pulled off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. The end of my cable pulled off too at about 2000 miles.. Never again will I purchase one. Staying with stock.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
It is the 3" longer cable, no binding, not installation error, the actual cable did not break, the end pulled off at the clutch lever, I could pull the clutch with one finger, everything was working fine as it should right up until the end pulled off.
That's why Ryan was asking. They(Barnett) were accepting the old clutch cables back to replace with a new end for the gen 3 cables...

Glad you made it home!:bigthumbsup:

(Rick would of installed it right.:doorag:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did any of you guys have any problems installing the New Barnett cable into the rear adjuster sleeve? Mine seemed @ 1/4 - 1/2 " too long. It was hitting against the frame of the bike & I couldn't adjust the cable out. DLP said they would take it back but they never ran into that problem before. I ended up cutting the back end off my old cable to show them the difference in lehgth between the two of them. Anyone else have this sort of problem?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put the new one on today, different design. Fit great, no problems.
It looks like the end on this cable is brass, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try being in Mcalester and havin the SOB break on ya!! Labor day weekend the wife and I headed out for the Talimena drive, realy enjoyed it. that night we stayed in Mena, Ar. Next morning headed down to Broken Bow lake then back north to Heavner, Wister lake and then Robbers cave. being too tired to make it home we stayed the night in Mcalester. We left out out from the motel at 8am and as we pulled out of the parking lot and clutched to grab 2nd gear, the friggin cable snaped! Long story short, we made it 125 miles through numerous towns, lights and stop signs to the driveway without puting a foot down. Had to get creative a couple times but i made it. Needless to say i was pissed the entire way. speeking of pissed ......lol both our bladders were about to explode when we got home. Anwyay the new cable looks like an improvement. I had aproximately 12-15k miles on the first barnet, we'll see what this one gets.

Ride safe
Okie9er

1 - 12 of 12 Posts