M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Quick Q...

I've been toying with the idea of bar-end mirrors. It's just a look I really like.
Anyways, I had a go at fitting the old set I have, only to discover that the stock bars are all but solid, with only a couple of centimeters (less than an inch :p ) left open at the tip - which for the average set of bar-end mirrors isn't sufficient.

Any one else tried fitting bar end-mirrors before? What did you end up doing/using?
I though about simply drilling and tapping the "solid" bit down the center of the bar - but wasnt sure if this was such a flash idea.

Cheers,
Lurch

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
I've got bar-end mirrors on mine, just not mounted to the bar ends. Instead mounted to the regular mounts using large allen head screws. They were actually sold that way, and I thought they looked kinda cool.
It keeps them real low on the bars, well forward of the controls, and further outgoard than the stockers were.

There was another Lurch on this board, guess he vanished on us.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've got bar-end mirrors on mine, just not mounted to the bar ends. Instead mounted to the regular mounts using large allen head screws. They were actually sold that way, and I thought they looked kinda cool.
It keeps them real low on the bars, well forward of the controls, and further outgoard than the stockers were.

There was another Lurch on this board, guess he vanished on us.
Post a pic, like to see how that turned.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Post a pic, like to see how that turned.
I'll have to do that tomorrow, its dark now. I just tried to take some pics, but they did not turn out.

If you were to go to the Corbin Smuggler thread, you could see them on the latest pics I took, today, just not close-ups.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hey all,

Quick Q...

I've been toying with the idea of bar-end mirrors. It's just a look I really like.
Anyways, I had a go at fitting the old set I have, only to discover that the stock bars are all but solid, with only a couple of centimeters (less than an inch :p ) left open at the tip - which for the average set of bar-end mirrors isn't sufficient.

Any one else tried fitting bar end-mirrors before? What did you end up doing/using?
I though about simply drilling and tapping the "solid" bit down the center of the bar - but wasnt sure if this was such a flash idea.

Cheers,
Lurch
What you are calling solid is a plug to reduce vibration.

You can work that out of there and have all the space you need.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
That plug, as SR mentioned, can be removed. If you pull the grips off and look under the bar you'll see an area where it is welded in. It's just a hole that they fill with weld. You can drill that out and the plug will come out. Or just drill the plug out, but it takes a lot more drilling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggests guys.
With too much time on my hands today, I took another look at the problem.

The mirrors I have are:

What I ended up doing is drilling and tapping out some 8mm holes about 15mm deep, into those 'plugs'.
I then used the 'expansion' bits that come with the mirrors as essentially spacers.
I then drilled out suitably sized holes in the plastic end-caps of my oxford heated grips and simply bolted the whole lot up.
Time will tell if this has worked or not, as I'm only 99% confident that I was able to get the bolts tight enough to stop the mirror rotating forward in the wind.
Its bucketing down rain right now, so the test will be left for another day...

The throttle side one was more interesting tho - as obviously its easy to do the mirror up too tight and cause the throttle to stick (the same prob you can have with any bar-end). I ended up using some washers inside the bar to bring the 'expansion thingy' out a smidge further, then cut two, thin plastic circles out of plastic. I then cut out eh centers of these. Essentially I was trying to replicate the similar plastic disc you see at the other end of the throttle on a lot of bikes. I think its working - the throttle returns fine. However it aint pretty, so this 'solution' will get revisted soon.

I'm in the middle of a whole heap of mods - so I'll post up pics once its all done :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts