M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been solved already in another thread, but I'm having a hard time searching for it:

I'm in the process of balancing my front wheel however the spacer (inside the hub between the bearings) moves around a little and isn't held by the shaft cones that lock the wheel in position to find the heavy side on the balancing tool. Seems to me this is going to throw off my weight if that spacer isn't also centered. How have you all solved this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be forced to buy some. How do you know how many beads to put in? Is 1 ounce enough to deal with any imbalance do you think?

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,524 Posts
I might be forced to buy some. How do you know how many beads to put in? Is 1 ounce enough to deal with any imbalance do you think?
Supplier of ballancing beads will provide you with
that info for your particular size of your front wheel..

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The Dyna Beads can be purchased in bags that have already been calculated and filled with a specific amount, based on the size of the tire they will be utilized in. The Front Tires for an M109R require one each 1 oz. bag, and if I remember correctly, one each 2 oz. bag is needed for rear tires between the sizes of 240mm to 300mm. I strongly recommend using Dyna Beads in both tires, and removing those Stock Wheel Weights from the wheels. I have been running Dyna Beads in my bikes since 2008, and they have worked wonderfully, and without any issues at all, in terms of how well they balance the wheels, and just how smooth my bikes have operated with the Dyne Beads installed. :) (y)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Same here. I use the ones made by Counteract as they seem to be a little easier to get down through the valve stem. They do work great though.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Alright so im ready to place an order i think but i want to be sure of the part.. i THINK its number 2 on here but i want to be sure, or is it number 8
BigNutt, I realize you haven't posted much on here. Therefore, you may be unaware about certain protocols, regarding the Forum. For your topic/concern, you should've created a new post, with the appropriate topic, and allow other members to respond specifically to your post. In this case, you're doing what is called hijacking a thread Bro. It can and often does divert the attention away from the original topic of the post, which is a bit of a slight toward the member who actually started the post, to get answers to his/her questions or concerns. This thread is about balancing wheels, not about parts for a Crankcase. I'm not trying to admonish or embarrass you here. I'm just trying to inform you, so you'll know how to properly present and address any issues you may have going forward.

Nevertheless, and with regard to the item (gasket) you're trying to purchase, you never mentioned which item you're needing a gasket for. Is it for the Clutch Cover, which is on the exhaust side of the bike, or is it for the Magneto Cover/Derby Cover, which is on the kickstand side of the bike. In the illustration provided in the link you posted, the #2 Gasket is for the Clutch Cover, and the #8 Gasket is for the Magneto Cover/Derby Cover. So, all you have to do is determine which cover you're trying to obtain a gasket for, and order the appropriate gasket. :) (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
BigNutt, I realize you haven't posted much on here. Therefore, you may be unaware about certain protocols, regarding the Forum. For your topic/concern, you should've created a new post, with the appropriate topic, and allow other members to respond specifically to your post. In this case, you're doing what is called hijacking a thread Bro. It can and often does divert the attention away from the original topic of the post, which is a bit of a slight toward the member who actually started the post, to get answers to his/her questions or concerns. This thread is about balancing wheels, not about parts for a Crankcase. I'm not trying to admonish or embarrass you here. I'm just trying to inform you, so you'll know how to properly present and address any issues you may have going forward.

Nevertheless, and with regard to the item (gasket) you're trying to purchase, you never mentioned which item you're needing a gasket for. Is it for the Clutch Cover, which is on the exhaust side of the bike, or is it for the Magneto Cover/Derby Cover, which is on the kickstand side of the bike. In the illustration provided in the link you posted, the #2 Gasket is for the Clutch Cover, and the #8 Gasket is for the Magneto Cover/Derby Cover. So, all you have to do is determine which cover you're trying to obtain a gasket for, and order the appropriate gasket. :) (y)
To be fair I posted this when I was super tired and it was actually meant to be a reply to a PM.. I have no idea how I posted it here and was not trying to hijack the thread by ANY means, my mistake and apologies. Anyhow, that also explains the COMPLETE lack of context, lol. Ladies and gents this is what happens when Bignut is up for over 24 hours. Also its the clutch cover... MY BAD!

My bad OP!

Obligitory reply to OP now: Ride-On tire balancer.. It does not wear the inside of the tires, works as a sealent. It is expensive but ever since using it and ditching lead weights I will NEVER, EVER go back. Ever. Furthermore anyone i have convinced to spend the cash for this stuff agrees with me

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
To be fair I posted this when I was super tired and it was actually meant to be a reply to a PM.. I have no idea how I posted it here and was not trying to hijack the thread by ANY means, my mistake and apologies. Anyhow, that also explains the COMPLETE lack of context, lol. Ladies and gents this is what happens when Bignut is up for over 24 hours. Also its the clutch cover... MY BAD!

My bad OP!

Obligatory reply to OP now: Ride-On tire balancer.. It does not wear the inside of the tires, works as a sealant. It is expensive but ever since using it and ditching lead weights I will NEVER, EVER go back. Ever. Furthermore anyone i have convinced to spend the cash for this stuff agrees with me
I totally understand what you're talking about, with regard to trying to do things when you're already tired and exhausted. Things can go left real fast, and very easily!!! 😂🤣😂🤣 No worries Bro, we have all done than more times than we care to admit...I know I have.😂🤣😂🤣 Also, thank you for not taking offense to my response to you. My intent was merely inform you of something, in the event you weren't aware, and to totally respect you in the process.

As for that Ride-On Tire Balancer product you mentioned above, have you used that in the tires of your M109R? I have always been under the impression that products like that were not good for motorcycle tires. Please fill me in on this product, as I am always open to new, and/or better ideas, practices, and products.

Thank you Bro,
Bobby

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Counteract beads arrived today and got them in the front wheel. Buttoned up and 70 miles later I have not complaints. Thanks for the tip everyone!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I think you will be happy with the Counteract beads. I used the original Dyna beads for a few years but they always seemed hard to get through the stem. The Counteracts flow right in as long as you don't feed them too fast. I use a small funnel with a piece of clear tubing that fits over the funnel and valve stem and kind of let them swirl in.

If you change your own tires, any of the beads are a little mess when you break the tire loose. I break the bead loose on one side and try to vacuum them out. Otherwise you'll find them on the garage floor for years.

Also, don't check the air with the valve stem on the upper side of the tire, as they can tend to lodge in the stem.. I move the stem to near the bottom of the tire when checking it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I seriously cant understand how that post went from pm to this thread, which i don't even remember looking at.. I might as well of been black out drunk for being that tired! Now, i have not used the Ride-On stuff for my m109 because i have never owned a M109. I own a C109! You see thats a magical creature because it comes first.. C before M. so it leaves the line first, it crosses the line first, You know.. Better! Nah im just busting your guys chops! :p

So, i have used the tire sealant stuff on my C90, and my C109. I looked into dynabeeds and some other stuff A lot of them have downsides. Example, Dynabeads wear out the ridges on the inside of the tire and bounce around like crazy. the theory is solid but the practice is not that great. Slime corrodes the hell out of it or dries up. The ride on stuff was actually made for 18 wheelers to stop them from vibrating or being imbalanced and works under the same theory as slime, but is better for the tire. It IS harder to clean out of a tire when you replace the rubber, however its biodegradable so you can just hose it out. Now, about the wearing of beads.. Truth be told you will change that tire before the beads break into the cable, i am just a stickler about it. Youtube can show you pics of the insides of the rubber for each method! There is no actual CORRECT answer, just different solutions for th same problem that come down to personal preference. I like my gel because it also seals long enough for me to get home and spend 270 on a new tire, lol

Hope i explained this well enough!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts