M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the purpose of the exhaust baffle stuffing/insulation?

Does this stuff dampen sound, increase back pressure, enhance performance in any way?

Any problems operating without the stuffing (after it burns away/is sacrificed over time)?

Thanks - I have the roadhouse slip ons and will be experimenting with their performance core - wondering if I should replace the "stuffing" as mine has burned away over time....

Also - if anyone has monkeyed with different cores (roadhouse has 3 types, soft, stock and performance) I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks for any help you can offer :doorag:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
cuts down on the rattly obnoxious sounds IMO. If you have it taken apart anyway you might as well replace the old stuff.
:agree: it will wear down over time but imho i think it serves two purposes: dampening the sound slightly for a slightly deeper note and to prevent a "tinny" sound from having metal to metal contact.

as far as the different baffles go, the more air that is allowed to pass through them the louder the exhaust will be. slightly more air flow might give you more performance but then you get into having to increase the fuel mixture and so on and so on.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
:agree: it will wear down over time but imho i think it serves two purposes: dampening the sound slightly for a slightly deeper note and to prevent a "tinny" sound from having metal to metal contact.

as far as the different baffles go, the more air that is allowed to pass through them the louder the exhaust will be. slightly more air flow might give you more performance but then you get into having to increase the fuel mixture and so on and so on.
one caveat to this, some backpressure equals more torque...usually. And less backpressure equals more top end horsepower. So it all depends on what you want out of it. I like my power where I use it most, in the 3-6K region.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
one caveat to this, some backpressure equals more torque...usually. And less backpressure equals more top end horsepower. So it all depends on what you want out of it. I like my power where I use it most, in the 3-6K region.
i like my power where i use it most also......in between my legs. oh wait, are we still talking about motorcycle power? :dontknow: :joke::joke::joke:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts