M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bit about the clutches on the 9 and suspect that I have a problem with mine. When I am at speed (100kph) and crack open the throttle it feels as if the bike is going to shake itself apart. Is this a symptom of a slipping clutch? If not any idea as to what this could be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If it is like mine, no problem. When I am crusing about 70 mph or so 2000rpm's & get bon the throttle, I get a vibration around 3500rpm's to 4500rpm's. It is very noticeable. A service tech at the dealership I go to said his was the same way.:dontknow:

G

·
There is a spring loaded driveline shock absorbing device that isolates the engine combustion impulses at lighter throttle. At heavy throttle it takes up all the spring travel and allows the combustion pulses to go through. It kind of feels like a jackhammer. It's normal. You're just feeling all the power pulses of those massive pistons. They do beat up the motor mounts over time.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thank you Pegasus:agree:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have also noticed that the design of that spring shaft set up has changed on 2009 models !!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just started noticing that vibration it feels like the bike is going to shake apart it never did it before until this year I have over 18,000 miles on the bike does anyone know a cure for this I will change the motor mounts
next week I don't like that vibration at all !

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,765 Posts
BD's 9; It could be the driveshaft issue - no lube. I'd definitely be checking that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had my 9 for a couple of months now and have racked up about 1000 miles on it. The bike has a total of 2900 miles and I've been very happy with it. The only exception is this same harsh vibration, I don't like it at all. It's comforting to know that it's normal but if there was a sure and reasonable way to eliminate it, I'd be all over it. I find myself downshifting to accelerate than up shifting in attempts to minimize this vibration quite often.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Go down one or two gears and see if its the same result. I'll put money on it rolling on smoother. Especially around 3 - 3500, maybe higher rpm.

I'm out of commission for a bit as I sliced up my clutch hand. :'(

·
Registered
643 Posts
I only feel the vibration at 90+ mph I thought it might have something to to with the metz 160/60 I put on it started after the new tire went on the bike never with the 130!:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Barely pull in on the clutch and let us know if it stops the vibration. It is and has always been normal in the 109 from 3200 to 4000 rpms. If in deed you are in that rpm range and not in a higher gear number too soon.

Just "barely" pull in on the clutch and see if it stops. Mine has been doing it for 25000 miles. Even after replacing the entire clutch assembly when the clutch basket nut backed off.

You can probably find a few hundred threads about this.

Cheers bro and let me know if i am way off base on this one

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,765 Posts
That's different - not the driveshaft.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have the same vibration 3500 -- 4200rpm dealer put another clutch in (not brand new) the vib is better but still there ,it does not happen if i hold the slack in the clutch-- when i do this i only hold clutch lever in a little -- there is no slipping or disengagement of the clutch when i do this, therefore the vibration is caused by something in the clutch. what is happening when i am taking up the slack in the clutch that stops the vibration? is there some way of having this slack taken up inside the clutch itself? or is it a little bit of pressure from pulling the lever in somehow holding something in the clutch that is a little loose? maybe a bit more tension on the clutch springs stops vibration in that ouside hub (no 11 on exploded view)? although i havent heard if putting in after market springs has any affect on the 3500 vibration:dontknow:. anyone out there got an idea? the vibration is a fault and will only end up stuffing up other engine and driveline parts, maybe fatigue in swingarms. mine never had it untill 6000kms so if it wasnt there to begin with it shouldnt be there now???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts