M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had trouble with the relay?
I returned one defective one (BikerBandit was great with replacement, fast and no charge) but now the second one has now failed.
12V input does not activate coil. Stethascope gives no hum.
Could it be the heat is cooking the primary coil?
It's mounted between frame and side cover on right side. Seems like enough heat to cook relay would (or could) cook cover.
Have sent EM to Bikerbandit for another relay.

G

·
That is the first i have heard of that happening. I have been PM'd by at least a dozen guys from this board who have asked for instructions and such, but no one had problems with the relay. Maybe there is just a bad batch. If you get another bad one, I would try getting one on your own and trying it. They are not that expensive and see what happens. If you think it is the heat, try putting some header wrap over the relay to protect it from the heat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys,
Is there a conscensus on what horn, (air or electric), works best on this bike? How hard is it to make a good horn fit?
Cheers,
Kingpong :bigthumbsup: ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Stebel air horn is a real blast and fits fine on the 109. Go to search above and enter "horn" for full info on air horn install.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Brad, I pm'd you the instructions Bruno sent me, they are great and I will go tackle that install right now, even a maroon like me can do it with those instuctions.

Dammit! I sent it to the wrong guy, sorry Brad, King YOU got a PM now.

Not enough coffee yet yet, sorry about that.

G

·
Would you mind shooting them to me too please? I'm ordering this week and I'm a goober when it comes to anything remotely easy haha

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dynamo, you got mail :)

BTW I did the install and it went in like a charm, took me a while since I am NOT mechanically inclined at all what-so-ever but she is LOUD. I mean REALLY freakin loud, I also kept the original hooked up as well, just used the tap in connectors to tap right into the original wiring. I place my relay UNDER my seat too, there is a bolt there.

The hardest part for me was actually taking all the bodywork off, man i was getting worried just seeing all the peices come off, BUT i kept all the nuts/bolts/plastic tie-in connectors with their respective parts and all is well.

There are actually THREE connections under the tank, to remove it just unbolt the screw that sits at the BOTTOM of your chromed speedometer but do NOT take it off the tank, then remove the bolt that holds the tank in place under the front of the seat. Carefully lift the tank from the back (if you are sitting on the bike its the part closest to your crotch) and you will see a brown connector and a fuel line with two little blue/green ring thingies. unplug the brown one, then squeeze the blue/green ring thingies and pull-wiggle the fuel line off. A small amount of fuel will spill so be ready with a rag, about an ounce or so. then towards the FRONT of the tank (closest to the handlebars) there is a BIG brown connector, wiggle it apart then the tank comes off no probs.

As you remove the rest of the body work, you will get donw to a bare radiator, i thought i had small hands but still had to loosen the 2 bolts up top on either side and the single one down below (on the left side of the radiator at the bottom if you sit on the bike) and inside a black plastic housing.

Then wiggle the radiator out a bit about an inch, and even then its a tight fit i thought. merely unplug the connector that is plugged into the existing horn, tap into it with the blue tap-in connectors, and replace (this will let you keep the original horn as well). Then i ran the wires along the LEFT side of the bike through the exiting zip ties, to the battery tray area and under into the right side of the bike where you mount the airhorn. I will post pics tomorrow with a more thorough walkthrough if this damned cold allows me (i hate summer colds). In any case, have faith in yourself and you will prevail, it took me 6 hours or so to do this, but this includes me running to pep boys for an inline fuse and some connectors.

If you all have any problems, please call me at work (956) 722-2440 @ Laredo Auto Paint, just ask for Ruben, or call me at Home (956) 727-5399 anytime after 7 CST. Cheers and goodluck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Is it high pitched?? (japanese car) or does it have a nice sound? (American car)

Also I would love the directions. My PCIII will arrive soon and I will have all those parts off anyway....

My email is in my profile

THNX
Sledzep

·
Registered
516 Posts
The closest I can come to describing is it sounds like a very VERY loud Ferrari. It has both hi and low pitches, they combine to give you that neato Euro horn sound. But LOUD, plus i think if leave the stock one installed as well then all 3 pitches combine to give you a VERY unique sound.

You got PM, Sled :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
RubenAlonzo said:
The closest I can come to describing is it sounds like a very VERY loud Ferrari. It has both hi and low pitches, they combine to give you that neato Euro horn sound. But LOUD, plus i think if leave the stock one installed as well then all 3 pitches combine to give you a VERY unique sound.

You got PM, Sled :bigthumbsup:
THNX for the document. I really want to get all my mods wrapped up. I am going to see if I can get this locally and get it installed.

Sledzep

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the problem with Air Horns.
Seems to be water intrusion.
I ride in rain a lot and have had two relays fail.
I opened up the second one (sent the first one back) and found the primary coil was corroded.
Answer I hope is to coat the seam around all 4 edges with silicone.
This would probably only happen if it was installed as shown on other thread here with connectors in the up position.
Hope this helps someone with these horns as the horn is great.
Bradbike!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Ruben, would you mind sending me a PM with those instructions I see talked about above? I just got my stebel via UPS yesterday, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to do to get it on there. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'd like to get a set of instructions also Ruben. I've had mine sitting here for 2 weeks and still haven't installed it :redfaced: preciate it !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts