M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009, sideburner exhaust, with 20,000+ HARD miles on her. Now the issue is I was told my exhaust moves up and down when I "get on it". I took off my sideburner and saw several cracks on the heat sheild and 4 broken welds on the pipe close to where it mounts to the engine... See pics below.

Both welds on each side holding heat sheild

This is the other pipe cracked header side of weld

I started looking at the motor mounts and I would like to have some input on how much play should the the mounts have. In the pics you can see where they have been rubbing.

Front right motor mount

right rear upper

right rear lower

Has anyone had to change their mounts yet? If so how bad were they?

Thanks in advance, Collin

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Damn Collen, I can verify some of those 20,000 miles as being HARD miles, Try slowing down haaaa Those back ones look worn for sure. I have never replaced mine, we have lots of vibrations with these beasts, That's for sure. Sorry couldn't be more help............:D

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Most of the 9's need to have the front mounts changed by the 10-15000mile mark---some even way earlier. It is a bit easier with an aftermarket exhaust in place. Should take about 2hrs taking your time. Left side is easy once the bolt is out. Right side should require you to pretty much take the frame rail section lose/off. Not hard at all if you are an average mechanic with an average set of tools. Oh, you need to get the top rear mounts ordered to replace the fronts. Th reason for this (JUtah) is the top rear mounts are made of a bit harder material than the bottom and front mounts. All mounts are dimensionally the same, just for some reason the tops are a bit harder and should last longer. I have never seen (out of many mounts changed out and a few motors pulled) any of the rear mounts needing replaced---some over 30,000 miles. The fronts will wear out. Also, if you look/search, someone did a "how to" on this awhile back---incase you are not completely sure with the change out. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I looked through the service manual and not much on replacing them, Here is page 5 out of the parts manual. and just looking at it. It doesn't look to bad to replace them. They all come out the outside. Dont know what happened to this img. but i couldn't get it any larger...

And thanks for the info FutuR on the hardness of the mounts. I notice when I lug my 9 down and look at the engine, it really moves around a lot till the rpms get up there.......

edit, apparently I dont know how to use the search here, I tried everything and find nothing about motor/engine mounts......... arggggggggggg

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have been looking @ buyin the mounts, It is Monday today everyone is closed just gotta wait until tomorrow to buy'um. FuturR did you say replace the front with harder ones?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Yes, there are only two part numbers for all the mounts. One part number is for the front and bottom rear mounts. The other is for the top rear mounts. Order the top rear part number and use them in the front.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fletch,

Let me know how the mount install went. I may change mine out. My vibration is getting more noticable when I ride, and it isn't the clutch shudder. I get that a bit too. :-[

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my motor mounts changed out and it was a pain. Those mounts were pretty bad here is a pic of one of the front ones next to a new one.

I could post a step by step but I didn't take pictures of it. Think I should post without pics?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Got my motor mounts changed out and it was a pain. Those mounts were pretty bad here is a pic of one of the front ones next to a new one.

I could post a step by step but I didn't take pictures of it. Think I should post without pics?
Sure man, I am sure I will need to be doing this fix sometime. I meant to ask you when we talked tonight about the effort ya had to put forth.........

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
There has already been a step-by-step done a couple of years ago---so no need. Those are very consistant with alot of bikes that reach the 10.000+ mark and some even earlier. I currently have another members bike in here and they may be the worst I have seen. I will know more when I get them out. Yes gentlemen, you need to check these. If they even look remotely worn, change them with the harder one's, and we will see if they last longer---should.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
There has already been a step-by-step done a couple of years ago---so no need. Those are very consistant with alot of bikes that reach the 10.000+ mark and some even earlier. I currently have another members bike in here and they may be the worst I have seen. I will know more when I get them out. Yes gentlemen, you need to check these. If they even look remotely worn, change them with the harder one's, and we will see if they last longer---should.
You have a link for that? I have looked and couldn't find it........Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
:eek::eek:

would that be mine??? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts