M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting this bad boy in! Didn't have Ryno's harness but overall not too difficult. I have zero electrical knowledge and have never removed the plastics/tank but thanks to you guys and this site, I almost looked like I knew what I was doing. Special props to Djm2u for his walk-through posted earlier. Most of the install time was spent cutting, crimping and wrapping it up neatly. Did a side mount and sealed all the spade connections with silicone at the relay and the horn compressor. I finished late, and REALLY wanted to hit the button in a bad way but didn't want my @ss kicked by my wife/neighbors/kid for the early wake up. Looking forward to some sore eardrums tomorrow when I blast it!:D:D

G

·
Just finished putting this bad boy in! Didn't have Ryno's harness but overall not too difficult. I have zero electrical knowledge and have never removed the plastics/tank but thanks to you guys and this site, I almost looked like I knew what I was doing. Special props to Djm2u for his walk-through posted earlier. Most of the install time was spent cutting, crimping and wrapping it up neatly. Did a side mount and sealed all the spade connections with silicone at the relay and the horn compressor. I finished late, and REALLY wanted to hit the button in a bad way but didn't want my @ss kicked by my wife/neighbors/kid for the early wake up. Looking forward to some sore eardrums tomorrow when I blast it!:D:D
Side mount under the seat?

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Bad boy

Is that the one from princess auto?let us know if it's loud enough,and congrats on the install..might try that one myself also..:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that the one from princess auto?let us know if it's loud enough,and congrats on the install..might try that one myself also..:bigthumbsup:
I'll definitely post up once I get to test. From what I've read, it's only 20dB less loud than the Stebel. Probably just a branded Stebel from the same manufacturer. It is the one from PA $29.99, it's in the surplus section so if you're thinking about one I'd pull the trigger sooner rather than later or could be gone.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
:congrats: Did you keep your stock horn in the loop? Honk in good health. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TY Ryno, I didn't keep the original in the loop, but I'm thinking of splicing in some t-connectors off the wires running from the harness to the air horn and get some juice to the stock horn. Or would this overload the circuit? I've got an in-line 20amp fuse coming off the battery positive.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
TY Ryno, I didn't keep the original in the loop, but I'm thinking of splicing in some t-connectors off the wires running from the harness to the air horn and get some juice to the stock horn. Or would this overload the circuit? I've got an in-line 20amp fuse coming off the battery positive.
I would wire the stock horn back in as it was, and just tap off the horn wires to activate the new horn. That way you're using the original fuse for the stock horn, and the new fuse and relay for the new horn.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Your just using the horn leads to tell the relay when to turn on and off. As Zoom stated, it is not really drawing any power from the stock horn circuit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I looked at the harness and looks like I'd have to do a little surgery just to expose enough stock wire to splice off. I'm not even sure a T-connector would fit in there. Any ideas? Trust me, I'd like to keep the original horn in the loop! By the way, this thing is friggin LOUD! I like:clap2:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Thanks guys. I looked at the harness and looks like I'd have to do a little surgery just to expose enough stock wire to splice off. I'm not even sure a T-connector would fit in there. Any ideas? Trust me, I'd like to keep the original horn in the loop! By the way, this thing is friggin LOUD! I like:clap2:
Why would you cut into/splice the stock wiring? Get the right connector and pug it into the horn connector. It should look like a V.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Love my Big Boy horn

Lil ol lady found out a week ago. Looked right at me making my left turn, and gassed it right in front of me, Almost caught her rear bumper!! She had a nasty evil look on her face when she took off, Like bikes should not be on the road :cus::cus:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why would you cut into/splice the stock wiring? Get the right connector and pug it into the horn connector. It should look like a V.
TY Rynosback, I didn't even consider that I could get a splitter for that original harness and not have to splice anything. I assume I could pick that up at any parts store??

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just sodered my two wires to the top of the blade ends of the stock horn and pushed them back in the connector. I have both horns in the loop.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh its fricken loud :D my new fav game is to hit it when people are around my bike. They almost jump out of thier skin its quite entertaining. Then they ask where they can get one.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just sodered my two wires to the top of the blade ends of the stock horn and pushed them back in the connector. I have both horns in the loop.
Ya, I saw that in your walk-through but #1 I suck at soldering
#2 Had a beyatch of a time getting the stock connector off the stock horn

·
Registered
28 Posts
horns and TRE

I have looked at the post about horns and I really don't understand most of it. Which horn is loud and easy to install. I am also looking at a TRE again, I was talked out of getting one before but I heard it was a good mod

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All of the horns install the same way, it's just a matter of where you mount them. The "easiest" way is to get the m109 specific horn harness from Rynosback, which I understand is plug and play with the horn. TRE is great - would advise you to stick with proven brand names like GMan, Trackday....Hope this helps:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
All of the horns install the same way, it's just a matter of where you mount them. The "easiest" way is to get the m109 specific horn harness from Rynosback, which I understand is plug and play with the horn. TRE is great - would advise you to stick with proven brand names like GMan, Trackday....Hope this helps:bigthumbsup:
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts