M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride today. Well, I rode out but I didn't ride back. I stopped for gas and when I tried to start the bike afterwards I got a half a crank and then nothing. I tried again thinking that I'd forgotten to let the fuel injector finish but I got nothing again. I removed the battery and went across the street to a conveniently located auto zone and had the battery tested. They said the battery was alright but I went back and put the battery in and the bike wouldn't start. When I turned the key on again the fuel injector sounded like it was spitting the fuel in bursts and the bike went totally dead. I took it to the suzuki dealer since it is still under warranty and they said the battery was dead and needed to be replaced. Has anyone had a battery go bad in less than one year?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Im on 3 years on the stock battery! Not to say that you dont have a bad one. When ya started it up the 1st time, it cranked normal?
Good thing it's under warranty!

Juice109

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I figure that something has wiggled loose and when they get the battery in, it wont start and then they will find the real problem

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bike starts and runs fine on a jump, but as soon as you take the jumper cables off it dies. this made me think there was a problem with the charging system but the mechanic said he checked it and there isn't.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
My OE battery is still cranking good coming into it's 5th year. Batteries are like humans, they can die at anytime.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
I would check the ground too. Follow it off the battery to where it attaches to the frame, unbolt it and sand the connections down.

Mine is still good after 3 years, but last winter I pulled the cap off the battery and added a good 6 ounces of electrolyte to it. I think it would have been gone this spring if I had continued to run it as the tops of the plates were dry.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I went for a ride today. Well, I rode out but I didn't ride back. I stopped for gas and when I tried to start the bike afterwards I got a half a crank and then nothing. I tried again thinking that I'd forgotten to let the fuel injector finish but I got nothing again. I removed the battery and went across the street to a conveniently located auto zone and had the battery tested. They said the battery was alright but I went back and put the battery in and the bike wouldn't start. When I turned the key on again the fuel injector sounded like it was spitting the fuel in bursts and the bike went totally dead. I took it to the suzuki dealer since it is still under warranty and they said the battery was dead and needed to be replaced. Has anyone had a battery go bad in less than one year?
mines an 06 model and still on the same battery but i have gone to start mine sometimes and it feels tired, then all of a sudden it starts no worries.

so who was right, auto zone or the stealer? did you put a new battery in?

mabe mine is rooted too or on its way out

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the bike is actually at the dealer since it is still under full warranty. they had to order a battery for me on the condition that if the problem is not the battery they will keep it. I have not heard what the deal is yet but when I do I will post up the info for everyone's benefit.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That all depends if you had the dealer install your battery or not if they did then they should have done a charging system test to make sure everything was good. thats what i did when i worked for the dealership back home. and in most cases if your battery starts heading south it could cause it to run like crap most of the the electrical systems on todays bikes require at least 12.35 volts to run properly. and a good charing system should put out about 13.5 to 14.0 volts measured at the battery and i always run my charging test at 2500 rpm . This is my .02 worth

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My battery took a dump about 2 weeks ago. started it four differt times befor I took off. Went 100 miles and stop to get gas and meet the others for the ride and it would not start :verymad:. I put a new battery in and finish the day

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the mechanic was right, it was the battery....put a new battery in and it is working fine....i guess i just overreacted when the fuel injector was flipping out, i can imagine now how the low charge on the battery would cause the fuel injector to sputter like it did.

thanks for the interest in my problem

·
Registered
766 Posts
mines an 06 model and still on the same battery but i have gone to start mine sometimes and it feels tired, then all of a sudden it starts no worries.

so who was right, auto zone or the stealer? did you put a new battery in?

mabe mine is rooted too or on its way out
Have an 07 and it has the same problem as yours at times. wonder what the heck it is. The funny part is that it only does it at times , when riding for a while. I come to start it after not riding it for a week and it starts fine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts