M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know why it took me so long to notice but I washing the bike last night and noticed that the front wheel is mounted backwards on the bike. The tire has the direction arrow going the wrong way but looking at the wheel it appears the tire is mounted on the wheel correctly it is the wheel that is mounted 180 off. Is this a factory f-up or does the dealer mount the front wheel? I assume that dunlop designs these tires to be directional for a reason what is the consequence from running it backwards? Any tire experts out there?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds to me that the stealer has fitted the wheel on backwards I do believe that if you remove the wheel and turn it around all should be good since the tyre is going the right way according to the wheel

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great eye. I need to go check mine now. I would think you could just remount it correctly. Don't think it would matter as long as you never get caught in the rain. I think the tire direction mark is so the channels in the tire will properly move the water from underneath the tire.

·
Registered
84 Posts
lol.. same thoughts here... I've checked my tires for edge wear after a good ride but have never noticed it backwards... Now I need to go check... But my dealer has always been on their sh!t with all my bikes. So my pre-guess is mine is on correctly. But that's f'd up though...

... Tell 'em you demand free oil changes for the life of the bike or you'll post their name on that POPULAR site... M109Riders.com  :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Same Here..mine was mounted backwards...Really never found out wo fault it was,,stealer or factory...anyways Its fixed.... :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
The bikes come crated with the front wheel off. They're mounted by the kid that pushes the bikes to and from the service area and washes them after you get oil all over it ::)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just checked mine , and sure enough it's backwards.
the tire is mounted on the wheel OK but the wheel was installed backwards.
Eveyone should check wheel removal in the owners manual, the section that says it is hazardous to mount a wheel or tire backwards. The stealer or mama suzi could be in for a lawsuit if someone should have a problem. I found the problem cleaning the bike , not by the arrow on the tire but by the openings in the wheel being opposite from the rear wheel. What size allen doe's it take to remove the axle? I will change it myself, don't trust the stealer now.
Olddog  (probably the oldest 109 rider) still kicking at 65

·
Registered
844 Posts
The easiest way to tell (about the position of the wheel [not the tire]) is to check the location of the valve stem. It SHOULD be on the left (as you sit on the bike). This has been posted in one or two other threads before.

G

·
joet said:
my front wheel was also on backwards dealer said it came fron factory mounted this way
Same here,,I ask my stealer,,they blamed it on the factory,,,called zuki,,they said the stealer installed it...No one wanted to admit fault...Stealers suck...

·
Registered
317 Posts
if the tire is on the wheel backwards its the factory fault. if the wheel is on the bike backwards its the dealers fault. there should be a directional arrow on the wheel and a directional arrow on the tire.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This post is scary.   I just checked my front tire and it is OK.   The dealer where I purchased my 109 is the same dealer I bought my first bike from 33 years ago.  So I guess experience helps.  My bike was also not over filled with oil as was many on this site.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just checked my wheel and tire. All is good! I didn't see a directional arrow on the wheel, but i did notice that the wheel only had writing and symbols on the left side.

RWilliams
Pittsburgh, PA
Silver M109R (Bone Stock)

Right now!

·
Registered
317 Posts
ok, i was mistaken i just looked again and i couldn't find the arrow on the wheel. i could have sworn in was there though. that leaves the valve stem on the left side the correct direction and the arrow on the tire rotating forward.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
The bikes come crated with the front wheel off. They're mounted by the kid that pushes the bikes to and from the service area and washes them after you get oil all over it ::)
Changed my backwards wheel to the way it should be. Had to buy a 30.00 snapon 24 mm hex socket. but that was cheaper than going back to the stealer. I did call them to tell them it was backwards , the reply was BACKWARDS! Well we can schedule an appointment to leave it here and we will fix it These are the same ones that pinched the wire in the start/ shut off housing I guess when they prepped the bike, causing a breakdown at 200 miles I wouldn't let them work on my mother inlaw, or maybe I would HaHa

G

·
Guys, the manual says something (on page 7-32) about some special tool required to remove the front axle. All it says is, " A special tool is necessary to loosen the axle. The special tool is available from a Suzuki dealer." What is this super special amazing tool? Anybody know?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Almost all bikes, no matter what brand, are shipped from the factory with the front wheel OFF. It allows them to fit it into a smaller crate for shipping. The front wheel is then put on the bike at the dealership when the bike is uncrated.

If your dealer is telling you otherwise, call their bluff, make them fix it, then quickly find another dealer for your service. If they are dishonest about a little thing like that, imagine what other things they are doing behind your back. I can just see their mechanics taking your baby, your 109, out for a joyride on their lunch break.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I think the instructions from Suzuki to the dealer read something like: "install wheel backward and overfill with oil, deny you did anything wrong at all costs!" Seriously, WTF? mine was on backward, noticed it a few hours after I got it home.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts