M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to ride a Suzuki Volusia. I sometimes forget I'm on a much heavier bike now, and park on a slight downward slope in a parking lot or some place. Nothing steep, but enough to prevent me from being able to back it out with just leg power. A few times, I've had to push the bike out...

I'm sure some of you 250 pound guys can back up your 109 with no problem, but has anyone ever tried to spin the 109 around on the kickstand like I could with my other bike, or many sport bike riders do?

Is it possible with this bike?

·
Registered
775 Posts
i used to do that with my shadow; tried it once on the 109, didn't work so well. i'm just too small to manhandle the weight of this bike like that. now i just make sure i back into park on a downward slope. course, i've already found an advantage in that too; makes it real easy to catch a small wheely when taking off. you should see the stares and smiles i get from that.

G

·
Canuk said:
has anyone ever tried to spin the 109 around on the kickstand like I could with my other bike, or many sport bike riders do?
Yes, it is possible. I have done it before... Take it from me, its less work to push or move it with leg power. 700 pounds trying to pivot is no easy feat... :read:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i wouldn't do the kickstand spin thing with this bike. it's fine on a 400 lb crotch rocket, but not this beast.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't understand how you are turning the bike on the kickstand...just a relatively new rider here. By the way if you haven't heard (and I'm sure you have) be very careful parking facing downhill the kickstand will fail and the bike will fall if not left in gear. I'm a member of that club.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Canuk said:
but has anyone ever tried to spin the 109 around on the kickstand like I could with my other bike, or many sport bike riders do?

When you say spin it around on the kickstand, I'm assuming you mean your left foot planted, and not literally on the kickstand right? 'Cause the bike won't run with the stand down and in gear otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't try to spin this bike around my left foot. It's just too heavy to control (for me at least). Besides, these tires have short enough life spans. I don't want to make it any worse by burning rubber when not needed.

Besides, I just pop mine in reverse to back up. :bigthumbsup: :joke:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
nah medic, there's a trick for turning some bikes around. it's really helpful in a garage, for example. you are off the bike, the bike is not running, the kickstand is down. you put your foot on top of the kickstand to keep it from sliding, pull the bike towards you until all of its weight is supported only on the kickstand (yes, the bike is "in the air"), then spin it around so you no longer have to back out of the garage.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Medic1210 said:
When you say spin it around on the kickstand, I'm assuming you mean your left foot planted, and not literally on the kickstand right? 'Cause the bike won't run with the stand down and in gear otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't try to spin this bike around my left foot. It's just too heavy to control (for me at least). Besides, these tires have short enough life spans. I don't want to make it any worse by burning rubber when not needed.

Besides, I just pop mine in reverse to back up. :bigthumbsup: :joke:
I believe he means, stand on the left side and pull the bike OFF its wheels ONTO the stand and spin it. I saw it on that Superbikes show recently.

Sledzep

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
phaed said:
nah medic, there's a trick for turning some bikes around. it's really helpful in a garage, for example. you are off the bike, the bike is not running, the kickstand is down. you put your foot on top of the kickstand to keep it from sliding, pull the bike towards you until all of its weight is supported only on the kickstand (yes, the bike is "in the air"), then spin it around so you no longer have to back out of the garage.
Oh, I got ya :bigthumbsup: I was picturing whipping the bike around like dirt riders do when they plant their foot and gun the bike so it spins around. I may have to give that a try just to see... I find the bike doesn't feel as heavy as it is d/t the low center of gravity and fat tire. I can stand to the side and leand the bike all the way over until the frame or pipes touch and not drop it. Now actually getting the weight off the wheels and onto the stand may be another story... Plus, since my sidestand is bent from falling over in June, I may want to reconsider trying it after all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Besides, I just pop mine in reverse to back up. :bigthumbsup: :joke:
Ahh! Missr Medic... You so funny... :D :clap2:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Another fantastic reason for the 2.5" Lowering Bones, My short butt had a very hard time until I installed them, kind of hard with just the balls of your feet on the ground :bigthumbsup:

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts