M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help all, I'm really desperate. I started having problems with my 109 backfiring, not down shifting but I can be sitting at idle, rev the engine (very little) and BOOM!! sometimes it will kill the engine completely and I have to restart...that's no big deal but it pretty much always backfires when I go to throttle up. Here's another little issue it would lag turning over in which case I thought it needed a new battery so I bought a new one and it still kind of drags turning over at times. Now here's where I think they are linked. I had a camaro that needed the engine rebuilt on it and when the engine was put back into it it had the same symptoms that I'm now experiencing in my 109, hard starting and backfiring. I took it to another mechanic (licensed this time) and he told me the timing was way out of whack. Does anyone know if this might be true in my case or even have any idea's that I might try. I haven't done anything different before I got the problems. Is there anyway to check the timing myself?? Someone please help me I'm afraid to start this thing up and the dealership wants $150.00 just to pretty much pull it on their lot.

Thanks for any help all

·
Registered
285 Posts
These guys can definitely help direct you with your problem. They are going to want to know what modifications you have done to your bike and how many miles are on it? Hopefully it is a simple fuel problem.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
i had this same issue yesterday but it only happen once. not sure why, but curious.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Will need to know what mods are on your bike. Pipes, fuel manager? How long has this been occurring? New gas, old gas?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Check your Exhaust gaskets. Especially if you have had your exhaust off recently. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Is it backfiring out the exhaust or back through the intake? Through the intake is usually way too lean, out the exhaust is too rich and/or you have an exhaust leak. Blocking the PAIR valves will cure most backfiring out the exhaust provided you have no other exhaust leaks.

:welcome: to the forum too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok let me see if I can answer all of the questions asked.
I did add a "Big Air Kit" about 1-1/2 yrs ago and added a Cobra Fi 2000 Digital processor to smoothe out the air / fuel ratio.
The bike has 20,000 miles on it.
I have already changed the plugs hoping that was the problem, but that didn't solve anything.
I do not have a timing retarder on the bike.
The problem started about 6 mths. ago.
The Gas in the tank is good stuff.
I have never taken the exhaust off. ( but I did recheck all of the connections today to make sure)
The backfiring is coming through the exhaust.
I have never checked or changed the fuel filter
The pot srettings on the fuel processor are Green=1 , Yellow=3 , Red=2
I bought the processor preset from Cobra's website for my bike after the air kit so they would know what I added. Does anyone know what the settings should be for my bike? The only Mod is the air kit, everything else is stock. Please keep in mind I am not mechanically smart so I really know nothing about Rich / Lean or anything else about the processors settings at all. I hope all of this info helps, and with it I hope i can walk away with some first aid for my bike.
Thanks for all of the responses so far, compared to other forums..you guys really care!!!!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Try Resetting your FI2000 Digital Processor

Ok let me see if I can answer all of the questions asked.
I did add a "Big Air Kit" about 1-1/2 yrs ago and added a Cobra Fi 2000 Digital processor to smoothe out the air / fuel ratio.
The bike has 20,000 miles on it.
I have already changed the plugs hoping that was the problem, but that didn't solve anything.
I do not have a timing retarder on the bike.
The problem started about 6 mths. ago.
The Gas in the tank is good stuff.
I have never taken the exhaust off. ( but I did recheck all of the connections today to make sure)
The backfiring is coming through the exhaust.
I have never checked or changed the fuel filter
The pot srettings on the fuel processor are Green=1 , Yellow=3 , Red=2
I bought the processor preset from Cobra's website for my bike after the air kit so they would know what I added. Does anyone know what the settings should be for my bike? The only Mod is the air kit, everything else is stock. Please keep in mind I am not mechanically smart so I really know nothing about Rich / Lean or anything else about the processors settings at all. I hope all of this info helps, and with it I hope i can walk away with some first aid for my bike.
Thanks for all of the responses so far, compared to other forums..you guys really care!!!!
It is amazing that you posted this thread today. I just finished resetting my FI2000R Digital Processor about 30 mintues ago. I was having some issues with the bike backfiring out of the exhaust, jerking and hesitating at around 40 to 50 mph this afternoon while riding. Yesterday, I had drilled out the baffles in my Big Dog exhaust, and I didn't make any adjustments to the FI2000R. Well, it is running like a top now. I would suggest that you go on line and print off the installation instructions for the FI2000R at www.fi2000r.com. It will contain the step by step instructions on how to set up your FI2000R to make sure that all three POTS are set perfectly for you bike including the modifications. It is really very simple. It only took me about 10 minutes to get it set just right.

Good Luck.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
With a stock exhaust you're probably a little rich on the 2nd pot. Try taking it from 3 down to 2 and see if that helps. That pot enriches the mixture under acceleration, which is why it backfires when you rev it.

I'd also consider replacing the fuel filter since you have 20,000 miles on it.

And plug the PAIR valves. It doesn't cost anything and will do more to eliminate the backfiring than anything else. There's tons of threads on here on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Is it backfiring out the exhaust or back through the intake? Through the intake is usually way too lean, out the exhaust is too rich and/or you have an exhaust leak. Blocking the PAIR valves will cure most backfiring out the exhaust provided you have no other exhaust leaks.

:welcome: to the forum too.
1st:welcome:and to quote:agree::agree::agree:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts