M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just came across this on FB.
Made me laugh, figured I would share.
Probably only relevant to those of us with gray (or no) hair here in the USA. :)
I for one can remember a time when there were no metric tools in the tool box at home.

Chin Facial expression Human Organ Gesture

BCS
LGB/FJB

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, and now in addition to metric sockets, metric open-end/box-end wrenches, metric Allen wrenches, and metric/SAE tape measures, I have a couple JIS screwdrivers. At least we don't need to use eight-point sockets too often.
LOL....have to double up on everything these days. (ASE & Metric)
Even worse is that you need them all to work on my GMC truck. It seems to have been assembled with half ASE and half Metric fasteners.
At least on the Jap bikes its all metric, so you don't have to drag every tool in the box out to work on it.

I had to purchase a larger tool cabinet recently.
Got tired of having to dig though overstuffed drawers to find anything. And the casters on my smaller box were groaning under all the weight. :)
Should have bought it two years ago, it would have cost 35% less than it does today.:mad:

BCS
LGB/FJB

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
My problem is you never know what tools to get out. My wife's Hyundai is all metric, no problem. My Ford truck is like your GMC, 50/50. All my yard equipment, you just have to try it and see what works. I've learned to never trust that "made in USA" actually means the parts were made here, as my Stihl equipment is a mix too. Used to be you could look at a bolt or nut and guess pretty accurately whether it was 7/16., 1/2, 9/16, etc. Now it could be 11, 12, 13 or 14mm.

Registered
Yeah. I hate it. Some of my vehicles have both metric and SAE on them. At the same time. You damn Skippy!

Registered
I had a mate find a 10mm combination spanner one day. Ran over it with the front tire on his MT09. It flicked up on just the right angle to penetrate his rear (tireo_O) He now has the tire mounted on his "wall of shame".

Registered
I've gotten to the point where I use metric for everything, unless its a large bolt/nut that has a lot of torque on it. And the wifes Spyder plastic pieces use torq bits.

Registered
I had a mate find a 10mm combination spanner one day. Ran over it with the front tire on his MT09. It flicked up on just the right angle to penetrate his rear (tireo_O) He now has the tire mounted on his "wall of shame".
I picked up a rail road spike one fine day. Passenger side front tire nailed it. Car in front of me must have kicked it up just right. Clank clank clank clank clank!!!

Reactions: M109Dreamer
1 - 13 of 13 Posts