M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my fork ends chromed now the fat end of the axle wont slip through the hole on the fork end has anyone had this happen/know of a solution? Appreciate any help some one may have, only thing I can think of is to sand the axle (uh oh), thanks

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I dont think I would sand the axle, but you better refer to other members that have had this done. I think the fork ends them selves should be worked on.:dontknow:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, yes I dont even have the lower bolts in, I spread it a little but no luck I would only need to sand the fat end of the axle, I'm afraid to do the fork end inner because once you crack that chrome it will probably spread. It doesnt need much clearance just a hair but it is a pain, I haven't had my bike now for over 2 months I'm beyond pissed. Thanks for a the help so far.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
sand the chrome plating away to allow clearance, I personally would not spread it open to accomidate the axle...

jmho

·
Registered
426 Posts
When I had my hub chromed the same thing happened to me.The fat end of the axle did not fit threw the hub.Took a dremel tool and CAREFULLY grinded the chrome off the hub hole.Same idea up front.Thats what I have to look forward to when I chrome my front end :edit:.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
IMO, once you agitate the chrome plating, that opens the door for it to continue to peel/flake. I would contact your chromer and see what he recommends.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys I got it I ended up sanding the fat part of the axle just enough to where it went back in snug, thanks again

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Since all the load is born on the smaller part of the axle, I wouldn't see a problem sanding down some of the big end of it. The big end is there just to keep it from pulling through when you tighten it down. It shouldn't take more than .015 to .020" off it to make it work. Chrome isn't that thick.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
thanks guys I got it I ended up sanding the fat part of the axle just enough to where it went back in snug, thanks again
Glad to hear you got it to work!

Since all the load is born on the smaller part of the axle, I wouldn't see a problem sanding down some of the big end of it. The big end is there just to keep it from pulling through when you tighten it down. It shouldn't take more than .015 to .020" off it to make it work. Chrome isn't that thick.
Mike, nice meeting you and your wife today. You two have some nice lookin scoots. Hope to see you both soon.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Mike, nice meeting you and your wife today. You two have some nice lookin scoots. Hope to see you both soon.:bigthumbsup:
Bernie, it was great meeting you too. I like putting faces to names. :bigthumbsup:

Good luck on the pipe and wheel install tomorrow. Don't let Harris work you too hard. :D

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Bernie, it was great meeting you too. I like putting faces to names. :bigthumbsup:

Good luck on the pipe and wheel install tomorrow. Don't let Harris work you too hard. :D
LOL thanks. Pics will of course be forth coming afterwards.:bigthumbsup:

Oh and your exhaust sounds amazing!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
LOL thanks. Pics will of course be forth coming afterwards.:bigthumbsup:

Oh and your exhaust sounds amazing!!
:agree: It sounded really good Mike. Good seeing you and Colleen again. We will have to plan a ride and hook up again before the season closes out.
Thanks guys! I like this one, but I think I liked the prior one just a little better. It was a little quieter and deeper.

Ryan, we'll have to head up to Hanc ock and grab some pie again this fall. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
axle

Finally!!! I rode!!!! You dont ride for a couple months you forget the power of this beast when you get back on it. Some dude on a Honda 1800 kept teasing me at every light saying we needed to open it up so finally I agreed when he caught up he called it a ole fashion butt wuppin. Oh off topic, so anyway yes if this happens to anyone I used a small grinder (3") tool u hook up to your air compressor and it a few times till the axle would fit in the fork end. It took around an hour, mostly having to let the compressor fill back up. You can buy the sanding pads at Sears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts