M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the Avon Venom R 250/40 R-18 which just replaced my stock Dunnie after 4500 miles.

Some facts about this tire!

Before mounting the tire measured 10 inchs sidewall to sidewall.

After mounting the tire measured 9.75 inches....a 1/4 inch loss in width because of the 8.5 inch wide rim.

G

·
That is a wierd tread pattern........kinda reminds me of a tractor tire.

How about a follow-up post after you've put some miles on it to let us know how it handles etc.

I'm not a Metzler fan - bad experience with one on the Valk - so have normally ran Avons. But sometimes one has to choose form over function......as long as the functions are mostly equal. :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Candingo said:
That is a wierd tread pattern........kinda reminds me of a tractor tire.

How about a follow-up post after you've put some miles on it to let us know how it handles etc.

I'm not a Metzler fan - bad experience with one on the Valk - so have normally ran Avons. But sometimes one has to choose form over function......as long as the functions are mostly equal. :D
With just over 400 miles on the tire I think it is equal to the stocker. I was surprised how well the original Dunnie handled and I managed to get 4500 miles from that tire with some aggressive riding ( no burn outs ). My initial reaction is that the Avon has a much deeper thread and harder rubber compound. With that in mind I'm hoping to get 6 to 8 K miles on it.

Regarding Metz's.....I had a 200 on my 1800VTX/C and that tire, in my opinion, had a extremely "soft" rubber compound. Just over 3K and the tire was history. Not to prejudge the ME880 260 or 280 series but if the tire compound is the same and you distort the tire in any way I think getting some reasonable mileage is wishful thinking IMHO.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Another view of the Venom R!! The tire has a nice deep tread, to include the area, at the outer tire edge. The thread pattern is definitely unique. Must be a British thing as the tire is made in England :) :) :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, could you please post before mounting and after mounting measurements of that ME880.
I am sure everyone would like to know since bob109 posted numbers for the Avon 250.

Thank you

jimbomania

·
Registered
696 Posts
so what is the "deal" with the tread pattern???... does one "feel" the grip transition "rolling thru" the different pattens??...mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aceventura said:
so what is the "deal" with the tread pattern???... does one "feel" the grip transition "rolling thru" the different pattens??...mjm
As the rain grooves are wider and more pronounced on the Venom, than the grooves on the stock Dunnie, there is a a different sensation/feeling when you have the bike laid over in a tight turn. The Dunnie grooves taper to a point at the tire edge whereas the Venom's groves are almost 1/2inch wide at the outer edge.

·
Registered
696 Posts
i am MOST interested in the best tire for dry conditions..... i'm here in las vegas... i saw "RAIN" on tv once...looked very unusual......lol... what would be the best dry tire???....mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aceventura said:
i am MOST interested in the best tire for dry conditions..... i'm here in las vegas... i saw "RAIN" on tv once...looked very unusual......lol... what would be the best dry tire???....mjm
I'm not, by any means of the imagination, a tire expert. Your riding style should dictate the type of tire you use i.e. If you tour ride a hard rubber compound tire would be wise for improved mileage. If your a aggressive rider who likes the twisties then a softer rubber compound tire would be wise. "Touring Tires" are usually hard and "Sport Tires" are usually soft! Do some research of all the motorcycle tire manufactures. That's your best source of info!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jimbomania said:
Hey, could you please post before mounting and after mounting measurements of that ME880.
I am sure everyone would like to know since bob109 posted numbers for the Avon 250.

Thank you

jimbomania
I think you're on the wrong post/topic :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
696 Posts
thanx bob109... yeah i like to go up the mountain to the twisty bits and have some fun..... anyone here on the site have any recommendations for a sport tire...???...mjm

G

·
Nice looking tire bob109... I really like the look of that thread pattern... then again I like weird and unusual things... ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
A friend of mine has been running the 250 Avon Venom on the back of his VTX and has over 20,000 miles on it. I've never seen a tire wear like the Avon Venom has on his. It still looks like he's got another 2 to 3 thousand miles left.
Jer

bob109 said:
With just over 400 miles on the tire I think it is equal to the stocker. I was surprised how well the original Dunnie handled and I manager to get 4500 miles from that tire with some aggressive riding ( no burn outs ). My initial reaction is that the Avon has a much deeper thread and harder rubber compound. With that in mind I'm hoping to get 6 to 8 K miles on it.

Regarding Metz's.....I had a 200 on my 1800VTX/C and that tire, in my opinion, had a extremely "soft" rubber compound. Just over 3K and the tire was history. Not to prejudge the ME880 260 or 280 series but if the tire compound is the same and you distort the tire in any way I think getting some reasonable mileage is wishful thinking IMHO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts