M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I'm concerned the more the merrier and the brighter the better, when referring to motorcycle lighting. Now that I am riding in Florida I want to attract as much attention to the back of my 2013 M109R as possible. A few years ago I installed bullet shaped and very bring LED lights on my VTX and they added a lot of visibility to the rear. I just completed the installation of the same type lights on my Nine.

These are the lights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG78GXP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
These lights are built quite well. They are heavy, well-chromed, and have three wires. Black = ground, Red = bright for brake light, White = less bright for tail light. The lights come with red colored lens and also amber colored lenses.

After debating where they should be mounted, I decided to use the rear foot peg mounts, since they were not being used and are low enough to produce a triangle of light between the tail light and the two auxiliary tail lights.

I built a mounting bracket for the left side. (1/4 inch aluminum plate)

Left side mounting bracket.

The light fits well and I think it looks good.

However after mounting the other bracket on the right (muffler side) I could see when looking at the back of the bike that the right foot peg mount is about a half inch lower that the mount on the left. That seems odd, since it puts the foot peg closer to the muffler than it otherwise would. I am not sure if that is particular to my bike or if all Nines have rear foot pegs at different heights.

So I made another aluminum mounting plate for the right side.

This mounting plate raises the light about one half inch, making it level with the light on the left side.

The lights are very bright because I used the red wire for power.
These lights could be set up for tail and brake light or tail and directional lights.

There are no instructions with the lights.

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
Very nice metalwork, I guess name says it all.. I am not at the
place my bike is, so no way to confitm 1/2" heigt difference.
I am curious which way you will decide it is safer to you to
hook up the set.... Cheers... 馃嵒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by "safter". I have a set of running lights under the rear fender, and I tapped into the power for those lights. So the power for the tail lights on the bike powers all of the auxiliary lights in the rear. Since they are all LEDs, the power consumption is not much.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
Those would make awesome turn signal lights, unless they are not visible from the opposite side, like a car is close to you could the driver see the light on the right side. The ones I have for turns are similar but I don't think they are that bright. I have the stock clear brake light plus the Rainey under tail light, so I'm good with brake lights, but would like a little more visible turn signal.

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
Not sure what you mean by "safter". I have a set of running lights under the rear fender, and I tapped into the power for those lights. So the power for the tail lights on the bike powers all of the auxiliary lights in the rear. Since they are all LEDs, the power consumption is not much.
You wrote:
"These lights could be set up for tail and brake light or tail and directional lights. "
Which of the two setups do you feel gives you safer feeling, I guess you set it up
as a tail and brake light....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those would make awesome turn signal lights, unless they are not visible from the opposite side, like a car is close to you could the driver see the light on the right side. The ones I have for turns are similar but I don't think they are that bright. I have the stock clear brake light plus the Rainey under tail light, so I'm good with brake lights, but would like a little more visible turn signal.
Since I am using them only as tail lights, I am not concerned about a driver seeing the light on the other side of the bike when next to me. I don't think mounted where I have them would be good for the only directional lights on the bike. However, they are very bright and show up well in day or night from behind the bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You wrote:
"These lights could be set up for tail and brake light or tail and directional lights. "
Which of the two setups do you feel gives you safer feeling, I guess you set it up
as a tail and brake light....
I have a very bright and strobing brake light below the license plate. It is made by Whalen. So I don't need additional brake lights. I chose to increase the width and brightness of the tail lights because I want to be more conspicuous from behind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts