M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Australias straightest longest road is 146.6 km (91 mi. and 163.7 yd) on the Nullarbor plains. this pic taken by my Patriot brothers heading home. What's your record?

·
xxx
210 Posts
Longest straight-a-way that I can think of in Utah is a section of I-80 just before you get to Wendover Utah/Nevada state line... (42 or so miles) thru the salt flats.

And the side winds there are ridiculous. I was leaned over against the wind pretty much the whole way last September.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yes the cross winds can be brutal across the salt flats....My wife and I have ridden our bikes leaned over at 45* angles plenty of times...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Longest road.

Drove the Nullabor late last year.Always wanted to drive it.Got the chance to do so when a friend of mine asked me to deliver a vehicle to Perth.Then fly back.At his expense of course.Thoroughly enjoyed it.Want to ride it next time.The 91 mile straight is a blast.Seems to go on forever,then it goes of to the right when you least expect it.Roadhouses are pretty well spaced,so you can stop every couple of hours for a rest if you want.If you ever get the chance to ride the Nulla,take it.I certainly will be.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
plenty of chicken strips on those tires, huh. PS here is some useless Info. I found

Is it true that every so often there has to be a curve in a section of Interstate, to help keep drivers from falling asleep?
Yes and no. Design standards don't require curves to keep drivers from falling asleep, but that is one reason curves may be included.
Although design standards don't require curves at specific distances in the alignment of an Interstate highway, curves are introduced for a variety of reasons. The reasons including taking advantage of the terrain along the route; avoiding obstacles or cultural development in the path; and, accommodating environmentally sensitive areas or mitigating impacts on them. A curvilinear alignment also reduces the boredom of driving along extremely long tangent sections (engineer speak for "straight roads"), keeping the driver alert. Taken from the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956

1 - 11 of 11 Posts