M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say the oil dipstick and method for checking it are ridiculous!  After reading all of the horror stories on this site about the oil level, I freaked out after having just put the first 50 miles on the bike assuming that the dealer had properly filled the oil which should be a no brainer, right?  WRONG!!!

I rode the bike for fifteen minutes, let it rest for three as recommended in the manual, unscrewed the dipstick with the bike on the sidestand and out comes oil, smoking hot oil at that.  With the bike straight up, the oil was just below the threads.  All I could think about was this thing was about to puke oil which has bubbled other people's paint, totally contaminated air cleaners, etc. 

ROADSIDE SOLUTION
I went to a grocery store about a mile away, went in and bought a 24oz. bottle of water and a turkey baster!  Drank the water then, using the baster, replaced the water with smoking hot oil, almost 24 oz. of the golden nectar before the oil WENT DOWN to the top of the fill line on the stick.  I am not proud of throwing the bottle of oil in the garbage can, but I sure did feel a hell of a lot better knowing  my bike wasn't going to blow oil like an AMF era Harley.

WHY DON'T THE G-D DEALERS KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY FILL THIS BIKE WITH OIL?!?!  IT EVEN SAYS 3400ML RIGHT NEXT TO THE DIPSTICK.  I hope Suzuki has put out a worldwide service bulletin on this. 

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked in dealerships for 8 years and honestly, the prep guys/kids are among the lowest paid help in the shop. No one reads the manuals, (neither do most of you), so very often things like oil level get set incorrectly. I'm not making excuses for anyone, but this is just part of what happens when people are rushed and don't have the time or interest to read the manual when setting up a new bike. Bear in mind that a multi-line dealer can have 30+ models to prep, several of which have very specific needs. I'm suprised there aren't more distasters resulting from errors in dealer prep. It is an enormous task keeping it straight.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I called my sales guy this AM to check on the bike that I was supposed to be able to pick up on Saturday....
I asked him to be sure they did the oil right on Saturday amongst other things... and this AM he tells me he road it around for 20 min to test it...
I cant tell if I am really glad he did... or pissed he is out ridin my ride! :verymad:
I guess its better that way. BUT If it pukes tomorroe when I get it I will be really mad! :verymad: :verymad:

Also, he said they "MIGHT" be able to adjust my shift lever up a notch... if it's not too hard... WTF???
Am I asking to much to have the dealer be sure my boot fits under the lever when I pick it up?

SledZep

·
Registered
27 Posts
You would think the dealers would actually CARE that you are spending hard earned dosh at their shop and possibly come back and buy some more gear (accessories etc). I work at acr dealership and we go way beyond what is required to try and keep our customers as happy as possible because we want them to buy their next car from us or refer us to someone they know is going to buy a car.

Is it the same in the USA, do bike customers get treated differently to car customers?

I know there are a lot more cars around but the bike fraternity has a lot more dedicated clientle!

I must admit my dealer has been pretty good but I still wasn't made to feel "special" even though I have bought the first and only one they have had yet and you think that I could be an "ambassador" for the bike and the dealer!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
after reading all the initial problems with overfilling the oil, i'm thankful for the mechanic that i lucked into getting. when i bought my bike, the dealership owner brought him out to tell me all the ins-and-outs of the bike before i took off on it. he spent about 30 mins talking with me. the first thing he covered was the semi-dry sump and how to check/fill the oil.

another thing he mentioned that i haven't seen on here is waiting before starting the bike. after turning the bike on, you are supposed to wait for all the noises to stop, and the "chec" to go away before you start it. if you don't, it *can* affect engine performance supposedly. same when turning it off, wait for the noises to stop. i didn't really understand some of it, something about the EFI and butterflies. either way, it was obvious he read the manual first. if anyone in Georgia wants to use these guys, it was West Georgia Power Sports in LaGrange. Mechanic is named Brandon.

·
Registered
817 Posts
phaed said:
another thing he mentioned that i haven't seen on here is waiting before starting the bike. after turning the bike on, you are supposed to wait for all the noises to stop, and the "chec" to go away before you start it.Â
It doesn't mention it in the manual specifically, but that is a good idea.

The whirring noise you hear when you turn the key and pop her into N is the pump pressurizing the fuel system and feeding gas up to the throttle bodies. Once it is up to full pressure, the CHEC goes off.

The Suzi FI system has a LOT of pressure in it. The gas line coming off the tank is a rubber coated line, but it is metal inside, and you need to be real, REAL careful that it sits EXACTLY the right way when you take the tank off and put it back. Otherwise, the line will weaken and break and you'll have a gas-squirting, 100 mph potential bomb on your hands! (Don't ask me how I know... ::) )

·
Registered
422 Posts
Luckily my dealer is a real Suzuki enthusiast.
He only allowed his head mechanic to uncrate the bike.
Sure he could bolt the bike together in a couple of hours for me to have it that day but he wanted his mechanic to go right through it stem to stern and spend about 6 hours on it.
So far so good it has run faultlessly.
I think the dealer was as excited as me to see the bike and has been ringing me up to see how I like it (his one and only 109 until july)
I think he is a bit dissapointed I haven't put more miles on it so he can have it back for a week to rebuild the mufflers and polish the wheels for me :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aussie109 said:
I think he is a bit dissapointed I haven't put more miles on it so he can have it back for a week to rebuild the mufflers and polish the wheels for me :D
Wow - your dealer wants to rebuild the pipes and buff the wheels. Sweet!

I had to fight to get a full tank of gas and had to order my tools seperately! I would be taking my service back to them. Meanwhile, I'm looking for an independant mechanic to service my bike.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread for some stealer bashing ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
So, I changed my oil by myself at 500 miles and everything has been fine. I've rode it hard a few times and had no problem. Today when I rode it, I ran it pretty hard for a few miles on the interstate and when I got back home there it was, the dreaded oil all over the engine. Now why did it not do it the other times I ran it hard and today it did? I only put in the 3.8 qts of oil like it said with a new filter. Hell, I can hardly see it on the dipstick when I check the oil, and yes I check it the right way. 15 minutes then let set for 3. Ya got me why I had oil today. Any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ya I pulled both plugs and moved it around when it was done draining to get the last drops out.  The thing is, why wouldn't it have done it earlier if it was overfilled?  It wasn't a whole lot that blew out but enough to give everything a light coat of it. It didn't spray any for 500 miles and then all of a sudden it did. Strange!!!!!!!!! Changed it at 500 and now have 1000 on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:bigthumbsup:look guys, if you look @ the oil fill hole I'm sure it read 3400ml and 1 quart or oil is 946ml .
if you put 3400ml in the bike and tart the bike , let it idle for about a minute then shut it off and wait for about one minute you should be on the stick.... if not you add small amounts til you get to the middle of the stick.
don't make this hard. after you know the # of ml's you shouldn't have a problem. my bike took 3800ml with a filter change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am new to the site. Great site! I have purchased a black 109. I rode my VTX 1300 for two years and was ready to move up. Went shopping for the 1800 and was sold on this bike. My question is, "am I out of the woods with this oil issue, I have over 300 miles on the bike and I have not had even a hint of trouble, other than the bike wants to go a zillion miles an hour! Would I have seen something by now? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Glad I found this site folks I would have added oil to mine but luckily had none left :D.Now I've read the manual. 300 kilometres so far so good. Changed the bars angle a bit and the rear brake peddle, kept finding my boot on it on the 1st ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
:bigthumbsup:glad to see some people are having no problems,wish i could say the same. don,t even have 150 miles on my bike and have oil down the whole side of it. i,m sure i could fix the oil problem my self but, i payed for that warrenty so i,m going to use it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the same problem. Rode from Tampa to Daytona the second weekend of bike week and as soon as they lifted my bike I saw oil all over the engine. Needless to say i freaked called the dealer right on the spot and the problem was they over filled it. They told me how to check it correctly over the phone and it was at the rite level. I guess I blew out the excess on the ride as soon as I got back to Tampa. I had them clean it up and change out the filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts