M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for those of us that have the Cobra Dragsters and feel deep down inside that they might be too loud, I have a solution. Someone posted that the baffles might be in backward, or that if they were in backward, the pipes would be quieter. Well that is correct. Here is what I did, and it was easy. Pull the baffles, turn them around, drill a hole in the end opposite from the end with hole from the factory. Using the supplied bolt, and factory hole, reinstall the baffle and use a nut on the inside to hold the baffle in place and reinstall the end cap. The difference is amazing. It takes all of the bark, but none of the bite out of the pipes. They still sound awesome, just not deafening. I sent Cobra an e-mail regarding the pipes being too loud. Try it and see, and good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why would you email them saying the pipes are to loud? I mean did you not know that aftermarket pipes were gonna be loud?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I e-mailed them asking if they sold other, quieter baffles, and to possibly see if they have a production issue regarding the baffles being improperly installed. Toneout, they are so loud I ride with earplugs to not harm my hearing. No B.S. you have to hear them in person.

G

·
Listen (while you can still hear), I will take those used, unwanted pipes of your hands for $200, you pay for shipping. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toneout, I will let you know. One other guy is interested and I am waiting to get a return e-mail from him. If I don't hear back from him by tonight, you got a deal. One thing though, I only accept 24K Gold Bullion or livestock as payment, thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, JR I could not remember who posted that. It look like you are right on this. After reinstalling my baffles like you said, with the vents facing in, they really sound much better. They are mean sounding without being overly loud. Try this out and let me know what you think. Thanks. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just hung up with Cobra. The guy told me that he knew what I was saying in regards to the baffles, but he said they were meant to be installed with the vents going with the flow of the exhaust. He also said he has been getting a lot of complaints about the loudness of the Dragsters for the 109, and other pipes with big bikes like the VTX. Anyway, he said they would look into it and get back to me, well see. Now that I have the baffles in reversed, I am back in love with my bike again. :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am definitely in love with the pipes, but must admit that it is deafening at times. My friends wont ride on my right side due to their sensitive ears.......Im gonna try the reverse fix...thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about a sound bit of before and after????? I'd like to get some aftermarket pipes but am considering taking the baffles out of the stock ones. Any Suggestions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ill work on the sound bite. While waiting at the Midland Performance Shop while they put on the Cobra Dragsters, There was over 30 people that waited over two hours just to hear the new sound. This was the first set of Cobra's that was put on the M109R. When they fired it up in the shop, It was a thunderous throaty eruption that shook the building. No Power Commander needed. When I took it around to the front to test it out, The crowd agreed that it sounded awsome, like a Top Fuel Dragster on Pit Row. I would like to have tried to take the Factory Baffles out of the Factory Pipes, but wanted a different look and WOW!

G

·
I'm wondering if anyone has reversed the baffles AND wrapped them? If so whats the sound like compared to stock pipes and to the drilled baffle stock pipes?
Maybe the cure is reverse the baffles, wrap them, and do the washer trick.

G

·
JR

When you reversed and wrapped your baffles on the dragsters, what level of noise did you get when compared to stock, and then compared to the drilled and de-baffled stock?

I'm trying to get a handle on the volume without having to buy them and then realise I'm screwed and up for another set of pipes.
From reading lots of posts, STD Dragsters seem WAY too loud for my sedate neighbourhood, but MAYBE modded dragsters will be the go.
Sorry to keep fishing buddy, but any help will be mucho appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts