M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arnott lists the shock with their setup for the 9 as having a QA1 racing shock.

QA1 makes many shocks.

Anybody know the model number on the one in the Arnott kit?

I looked at my shock, but in its position on my bike, I can not see any markings other than the QA1 logo on the setting dial.

If anyone has theirs off right now, can you let me know if it has any markings anywhere else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Why not just email or call Arnot? :dontknow:

There numbers are
Toll Free: 877-9000AIR
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-352-8659
Local Phone: 321-868-3016
Local Fax: 321-868-3703

And the email address you would want is [email protected]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the plan, but I figured I would ask here first, just to see if anyone knew.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But what if they give you wrong information? That is why I suggested the manufacture.
Well, that is just it.

Arnott is not the manufacture.

They give you a QA1 shock.

I am asking because most QA1 shocks sell for under $200.

The balance of the parts in the Arnott system are cheap and easy to come by.

How would $300 for air ride sound, with a better compressor and components.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Well, that is just it.

Arnott is not the manufacture.

They give you a QA1 shock.

I am asking because most QA1 shocks sell for under $200.

The balance of the parts in the Arnott system are cheap and easy to come by.

How would $300 for air ride sound, with a better compressor and components.
But they know what they order.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got off the phone with Arnott.

They will not tell you what shock they start with, but apparently, Arnott adds the mounts to make it fit the 9.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If someone posted all the measurements for this
sort of a " how to ",
it would be a great winter FAB project ....

Air Ride ....:drool:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
I just looked around QA1's website and I can't find an air shock at all. If you look at Arnott's description for the shock, it says it has a Goodyear air spring bladder. They may buy a QA1 shock and add the air bladder themselves.

QA1's website:
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/index.html

Arnott's kit for the M109R:
http://www.arnottairsuspension.com/products/productDetails.asp?groupId=155

If you want clevis to clevis dimensions, I have a KewlMetal system here that I can measure that should be close.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Questions

Just throwing this in the air!!! What every happen to the air shocks you could put air in? Could an air ride be made with a valve that automatically keeps a ride height by a pressure release check valve? I guess what I am saying and looking for is to get the slammed look when ridding solo and go up to ride height when riding 2. I don't need the leveling control. Just two things slammed for solo and raised for 2 up riding. Like dumps on a truck, flip up to ride and flip down to drop. I'm just tossing this in the air. I see that you can get hydraulic damping to lower it an inch. :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
Just throwing this in the air!!! What every happen to the air shocks you could put air in? Could an air ride be made with a valve that automatically keeps a ride height by a pressure release check valve? I guess what I am saying and looking for is to get the slammed look when ridding solo and go up to ride height when riding 2. I don't need the leveling control. Just two things slammed for solo and raised for 2 up riding. Like dumps on a truck, flip up to ride and flip down to drop. I'm just tossing this in the air. I see that you can get hydraulic damping to lower it an inch. :dontknow:
That's kind of the way they work. The KewlMetal air ride is just an air cylinder, and you add air to raise it or remove air to lower it. You also can add or take away air from the opposite side of the piston to firm it up or make it softer.

The Arnott also uses air to raise or lower it, but it also contains a real shock to provide the dampening.

Both use a compressor to add air, and both route it through a valve so you can add the air or dump it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dang SR , do you ever Stop thinking about How to make our Bike Better ,,,,,,,,,

I hope not :bigthumbsup:
Well, I do not sleep very much and I do not really watch TV.

So, that means I spend a huge amount of time in the garage.

Since I was a kid, I have taken everything apart, just to see how it worked. My parents would have been pissed, except I was always able to put it back together.

Once you get to know the components of a system, you see that many systems are very similar.

My Arnott system has been randomly leaking, so I did some testing to identify the problem. It turns out my check valve is bad, so they are sending me a new one.

However, in the process, I could not help but notice that the compressor is the exact setup that is cased in plastic in those 12v compressors you can get to top off your car tires by plugging into your cigarette lighter.

From there, you realize the compressor in the Arnott system is in the lower end of readily available 12v compressors and for under $50, you can get one that pumps air faster and is capable of higher psi.

The 12v compressors already come with switches and connections, so it is just a matter of adjusting the lines and you are ready to connect it to an air shock.

Now, the air shock is the next big part of the system. Here is what I started thinking and something I may toy with over the winter. The stock shock has a gas-filled chamber and a spring. Tapping a hole to get air from a pump in and out is no big deal, but holding the air is a little more complicated.

Now, the air bladder is the solution in every air ride system. However, they are easy to come by. They sell them for off road use, to stuff inside of your coils to give you extra lift when you need it. They sell for under $100 for a set of 2.

Now, getting that bladder inside of the shock is the project I need to look at, but it should be doable, I just need to take some time and figure out how.

So, if this can be done modding the stock shock with one of the air bladders ($50) and a 12v compressor ($50), you are left with needing a release solenoid ($20) and some plastic air line and fittings ($30).

Now, these are all components that are at least as good or better than what Arnott bundles and sells us for $800 to $900, when you are looking realistically at $150 plus the shock, which we all already have.

It just got my wheels turning.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts