M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have my bike on blocks with the wheels removed. I see that for the air ride install the bottom skid plate has to be removed. I have a Canadian Tire/Sears dealio bike lift. Is seems to me that I would not be able to raise it in a manner that the skid plate bolts would be accessible with the bike being stable.....thoughts?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Installed mine a couple weeks ago using a traditional craftsman jack similar to the one you are using. Just position the jack as far forward as you can and use tie straps to hold her stable if you need to (I didn't).

You can take the skid plate off before you lift her.....if that is an option.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll try the strap down. Can't take 'em off before hand as my rims are in a shop. I'm a little paronoid of my bike falling over :eek:. Happened before(not the 9).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I used jack stands and just backed the jack out so it was sitting on the front wheel and the stands.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm going to go fool around with my jack. If you guys don't hear from me in the next 4 hours it means the bike fell on me and I'm either severely disabled or dead. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am not recommending this, but I saw a long-time motorcycle mechanic lift the rear end of a bike with a ratchet strap.

He put the front wheel against the wall and hooked the strap to the top tree and a hook on the wall.

I voiced concerns about bending the shocks, but he insisted they see greater forces in a bottom-out event that he was putting on them.

It did work beautify though :dontknow:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it blocked up nice and stable. Thanks for the input. Another question, on the distribution valve, the 4mm runs to the shock, does the other one just stay as is for letting air out?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hello, Just installed my air ride. The 4mm hose goes to the shock from the manifold valve. Valve has two ports on it where 4mm would mount. One is for the valve you are going to plumb over to shock and the other is plugged. Snug up plug just a little bou dont overtighten it or the valve. The manifold has a threaded port on the side for the brass air release valve. you can adjust the flow of the released air on that valve. I had no issues with mine and was easy to do. Check with some soapy water on the valve going into the rear shock for leak and on the manifold too. I did come across the maniflod seeping air from the elbow fitting on it that goes to the compressor. I took elbow out and cleaned what ever they used on it to seal it and put teflon tape back on it and snugged it up and stopped the slight leek. Love it and all thats really needed to do know is possibly grind two bolts off inside rear fender that protrude about 1/4 inch. looks killer when slammed down and frame is only inch or so from the ground. would not ride like that but man shes bitchen with that stance. Still have stock stand and debating if need to get shortie,enjoy..Craig...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Where are you mounting your compressor?

Here is mine:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, more questions. I have installed the Air ride system. My bike is on blocks, no wheels on her at the moment. The shock is getting air as I checked the line while running the compressor and I have detected no leaks. Now when the hose is connected and I run the system the shock is not moving...:dontknow: am I missing something?

Also I have installed tornados and fi2000r, is it normal to have the FI light on after these mods are installed?

Thanks fellas :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey SR, I mounted mine as per suggested in the instructions, if needed I'll switch it around. I like your set up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, figured out I need to disable the SET valve pin. Still looking for info on the shock issue stated above.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
did you let it run for at least 5 seconds or more? It will take compressor a few seconds to create flow. mine takes roughly 4 to 7 seconds to notice a lifting of the bike, and goes up fine.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Okay, figured out I need to disable the SET valve pin. Still looking for info on the shock issue stated above.
With your bike on a lift, you will not see movement.

The air only lifts the bike, so until there is weight on the wheel, adding air is only trying to make the swingarm go to the same position it is in while hanging off the lift.

If you want to confirm it is moving, lift the swingarm then add and and it will push the swingarm down.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
did you let it run for at least 5 seconds or more? It will take compressor a few seconds to create flow. mine takes roughly 4 to 7 seconds to notice a lifting of the bike, and goes up fine.
The compressor flows the moment it turns on. They are a very short stroke pump and it turns over fast, flow is not the issue you are seeing.

When you slam the bike you are opening the system and the pressure drops to 1 bar. It takes 5 seconds or so to see movement because that is how long it takes to build up enough pressure to lift anything.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, got 'er all done except the FI light pin. You guys are right of course about not seeing the shock move. The bike being on blocks the suspension was already extended, I pulled it up and then ran the air ride and it worked as advertised...now I just need my wheels back so see this sucker in action.

Come on spring!!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Well, got 'er all done except the FI light pin. You guys are right of course about not seeing the shock move. The bike being on blocks the suspension was already extended, I pulled it up and then ran the air ride and it worked as advertised...now I just need my wheels back so see this sucker in action.

Come on spring!!!
That was one thing I actually liked about the KewlMetal air ride, you could raise the tire with it while it was on a lift if you wanted. Since you could pressurized either side of the piston it could raise the tire or lower it down. The only time it was useful was when changing tires, you could adjust the height to take pressure off the axle to get it out or in more easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts