M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really shocked. I took a hair dryer, kept it 8-10 inches away on low, to remove the rear suzuki label on the rear cowl. Peeled right off. Then on a white, new cotton towel, I put on some Goof Off to remove the adhesive, which I have used before on all my bikes to removed glue. About two minutes later, I started seeing black. I immediately stopped and put some cold water on the towel to neutralize the chemical. Took the friggin paint right off. I am shocked. I don't know if I just rubbed too hard or if the paint is that thin. Got on line and ordered some paint from Color Rite. Just P-d me off to have to touch up a two week old bike. Just be careful guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing happened to me. The color rite paint was not a perfect match. just a shade darker. most people don't notice, but I see it. living with it till new paint scheme this winter.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I used a dab of gasoline on 3 bikes...and had 0 come off , 1 silver , 2 black 109's

I have a wagner heat gun...which gets as hot as *&#% and stickers come right off.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hair dryer works for sure, but removing the glue, use gas mixed with 2 cycle oil. Not as strong per say than staight gas. But as effective. But what ever glue you move around will NOT reapply to the tank with the oil in it.( Use a wood tongue depressor) if you have to scratch around. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe I got lucky because I don't have long finger nails but that is all I used to remove that rear sticker. What little adhesive was left on the bike, I just used spit and rubbed with my finger; it's as if it was never there and no harm was done too the bike.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
NavHeliRescue said:
Maybe I good lucky because I don't have long finger nails but that is all I used to remove that rear sticker. What little adhesive was left on the bike, I just used spit and rubbed with my finger; it's as if it was never there and no harm was done too the bike.
Same here, didn't have to use anything to remove adhesive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Acetone worked for me on the tank warning labels. But that was metal. Would acetone be OK on the SUZUKI fender label?

Oh yeah, anybody know a good touch up paint?

·
Registered
817 Posts
You don't need any chemicals on the rear Suzuki label. It is 3M Scotchcal and peels right off once you can lift a corner.

·
Registered
441 Posts
go to an auto body supply house an get a gallon of prep -sol you can use it on all kinds of paint and will not harm it. body shops use it to clean the surface of cars,motorcycles before they either paint or put on graphics it will take off glue , tar and wax but will not harm paint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got done removing the tank labels with nothing more then a credit card, but this method did not work so well with the adhesive. Unlike the rear 'Suk' label, I was not able to do the 'spit, rub, and polish'. I'll have to find something safe that can be used on the paint. I see many ideas right here in this posting, but I physically have in my possesion some 'Goof Off'. Does anyboy know with 100% certainty that this stuff will not harm the paint? The bike doesn't even have 30 miles on it yet and I'd be a bit pi$$ed if I screw up the paint this early.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As a custom bike painter, I'm amazed at the problems I'm hearing with the clear on the M109R! :eek: As someone else mentioned, wax & grease remover will work on the decal residue and won't harm the clearcoat at all.....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
NavHeliRescue said:
I just got done removing the tank labels with nothing more then a credit card, but this method did not work so well with the adhesive. Unlike the rear 'Suk' label, I was not able to do the 'spit, rub, and polish'. I'll have to find something safe that can be used on the paint. I see many ideas right here in this posting, but I physically have in my possesion some 'Goof Off'. Does anyboy know with 100% certainty that this stuff will not harm the paint? The bike doesn't even have 30 miles on it yet and I'd be a bit pi$$ed if I screw up the paint this early.
no goof off! wd-40 and 45mins. in the sun is the way togo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts