Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few members have a Harley fixation.

Well lets hear what you really think, let me start by saying that I like H-D's but I don't like some of the owners mentalities.

I had a H-D owner at work saying that I bought what I could afford, when I purchased my 109. ::)

As Bugs Bunny would say "What a maroon".

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have to say that most of the harley riders I know are all great guys. And as for the comment about buying what I can afford.. I can afford whatever I'm willing to shell out the green for. But lets face it, when harley makes a bike (themselves, not calling on Porsche) that can make you grin your ass off while its puckered up trying to hold on to the seat thats threatening to jump out from under you, and do it for less than 30 grand (after making it "ridable") then I might buy one..

Until then, I'm just gonna keep smiling into my rearview mirror at them and watch them cuss that damned suzuki. 8)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I actually took my MSF course at a HD dealer, and really had considered buying an HD...

Problem is, at 28 years old, and 6'5", none of their "cool" bikes would fit me... aka the V ROD...

After I saw the 109, the power it had, the size of it, and the comfort... I just said forget this...

Went down, bought my 109, and brought her home :)

Not to mention the sales lady at HD told me I was too big for most of their bikes... besides like the super dyna bla blah wide glide and all... and that is not my style right now at this point in my life :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I said this in another thread:

The thing about many Harley riders is that they think that deep down every metric bike owner want a Harley. I don't want a Harley, I've never wanted one. There's no excitement, nothing to make my heart beat a little faster. A bike should be cool, and Harleys are not (well, maybe the V-Rod, but that's not a "real" Harley, right? Not according to the old-schoolers anyway). Harleys were cool a long time ago but not anymore. Nowadays people make jokes and laugh at how slow Harleys are. How cool is that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've seen some HD's that I drool over - others that I shake my head at.. especially when seeing the price tag (with 'recommended' accessories).  It's the attitued of some of the riders I don't like.  To me, if you ride - regardless of what you ride - you're alright with me.

Here's an example... A guy from work ran out and bought a $26,000 HD last year because "I will only ride a Harley" and "I will only buy American"  ::) then looks down his nose at me and makes sarcastic side comments on my bike (the "jap" bike).  Yet - and get this - this year he bought a new car... a Hyundai Sonota!!!  LOL - where's the logic in that??? :joke:  Scales are tipped now as I never miss a chance to give him crap about a Korean car  :evil:

J

·
Registered
702 Posts
BigBen said:
I actually took my MSF course at a HD dealer, and really had considered buying an HD...

Problem is, at 28 years old, and 6'5", none of their "cool" bikes would fit me... aka the V ROD...

After I saw the 109, the power it had, the size of it, and the comfort... I just said forget this...

Went down, bought my 109, and brought her home :)

Not to mention the sales lady at HD told me I was too big for most of their bikes... besides like the super dyna bla blah wide glide and all... and that is not my style right now at this point in my life :)
+1

exactly my experience, except I'm a little shorter and fatter 8)

·
Registered
277 Posts
  I thought about a HD and liked several of the models, Fat Boy, Night Train, even the 1200 Sportster, but just couldn't justify the "bang for the buck" ratio.  I began researching the V-Rod for awhile after seeing it in the movies and on the street, but just couldn't bring myself to spend the money.

Saw the M109 on the street but didn't know what it was.   Saw it in the showroom, ran home and researched it and bought it 2 days later!!! 

I still think Harleys are beautiful bikes, but I am more than happy with what I bought!

Besides, I shudder to think I might have ended up like some of the riders I see with HD boots, HD chaps, HD jackets, HD gloves, HD belt, HD wallet, HD doo rag, HD everything. And they think they have to wear the crap EVERY time they ride their bikes.  :joke:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just love motorcycles in general. I like Harleys too! But, I can not stand the frickin attitude that some of them have. They think there poop don't stink and there bike is the only bike out there. I hate that!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Real simple...

Like the bikes, DO NOT like the prices....

Except for the few chuckleheads that think the Harley lifestyle consists of guns, drugs, and worn out women. Most Harley bike owners are everyday folks that just love to ride. I like Harley merchandise but I wouldn't buy a Harley bike. Too little for too much...

I'f I'm gonna spend 20K+, I'll buy a custom....

G

·
Yup. I am a Harley Hater. Sorry to be like that but it's just the way I am. I would'nt walk across the street and piss on one if it was on fire. Now as far as the rider goes, if he's cool then I'm cool.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I thought about a H-D before I got my 109. Problem is, if I got a "deal" on a H-D, I'd still be paying MSRP, and the bikes are not worth MSRP. Then I'd end up spending another 15k+ to make the bike what I want. As it's been said in this thread, bang for the buck from the 109 is tough to beat; and until Lamont started playing around with things like the big air kit, 280 kit, and air ride kit, the bike was just about perfect (Thanks Lamont  ;) )

·
Registered
140 Posts
Besides, I shudder to think I might have ended up like some of the riders I see with HD boots, HD chaps, HD jackets, HD gloves, HD belt, HD wallet, HD doo rag, HD everything. And they think they have to wear the crap EVERY time they ride their bikes. 

A guy I used to work with found out that I bought A 109 and told me why would I want to ride jap crap like that, and real men only ride harleys. He called me a couple of days ago  to tell me that he finally got his hog. He rode over to my house to show me wearing more HD gear than i've ever seen.And his hog was a 4year old 883 sportster a real "mans" bike. I laughed so hard I hurt myself                

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bigmonty said:
And his hog was a 4year old 883 sportster a real "mans" bike. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
That 883 is not a hog its a piglet :p

My boss has a 1200 sporty and after riding mine and the sitting in his it feels like I 'm on a mid 70s dirt bike ;)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I like HD's I just wont pay that much for that little because ridin is more important than stylin to me.

If I was going to go slower than I normally do, and looking the part was more important to me I would get one of the models they have now.

IF, (biggie) they ever get around to making a retro looking machine that is a water cooled powerhouse like the 109 then I might buy one if t, he price is not too outrageous.

As for attitude, I dont accept any. I generally dont go to them, I let them ask me about the bike. If it seems like they are about to break out their attitude I just excuse myself and freshen up my Iced Tea.
I was taught growing up that there were 2 types of people
Regular
&
@$$h0les
My dad said both come in all flavors and colors. Avoid the @$$h0les and you will do OK.

Same applies with HD riders.

Sledzep

PS I know I said "slower" which will probably start a flame war. Sorry but its the truth.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think what is so funny, is that HD is making MAJOR BUCKS off all these FREE moving billboards...

Sorry, but I ride what is comfy to me, no brand names...

HD just laughs at all the SUCKERS...

Same with BOSE, crappy audio from a sonic perspective, but their marketing makes people believe their stuff don't stink ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Harley this and Harley that.....and around we go. I rode 3 Harleys at Americade this year; V-Rod, Screaming Eagle V-Rod, and the bike I wanted a Street Glide. I'm glad I got the chance to ride the Street Glide, it is underpowered and just wasn't what I would want. The V-Rods were nice but too expensive and not that comfortable. The Bigger Harleys are better but when you get thru trickin them out, you made the dealer richer. As far as people go, I admire the long-time biker who enjoys the ride and drives a well ridden bike. I don't think I would ever buy a Harley, cheap price or not. But they do have a following. JOHN

·
Registered
24 Posts
When my dad was looking at new bikes a few years ago we went to our local HD dealer looking at ultra classics and road kings because my dad likes full dressers. I should mention that at this time he was set on getting a Goldwing but thought he would give HD a chance. We get to the dealer and talk to the sales guy who immediatly told my dad that either of those bikes were too big for him and that he needed something better suited for around town. My dad goes TOURING but the guy didnt listen. My dad wanted to test ride but was unable to unless he was going to rent it. WTF so after pricing out the $36,000 HD my dad went the next day and bought a new Goldwing with more power, smoother, more features, and most of all killer looks and comfort. SOrry HD maybe eventually you will move away from 50 year old technology. But i dont hate HD I would love to own a few of them like the Deuce or a Street rod..just cant see spending more $$ when i can have a 109R and do eveything better and look cooler.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts